Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Re: What's so great about Dom Capers?

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:
    All the analysts are talking about how Dom Capers is going to transform the Pack into a great D.

I was curious, so I looked up his influance on D's during his career, here's what I found

2009 Packers D coordinator (preseason), #28 overall, #31 passing, #16 rushing
    2008 Patriots Special Asst to HC/secondary #10 overall, #11 passing, #15 rushing
    2007 Dolphins D coordinator #23 overall D, #4 passing, #32 rushing
    2006 Dolphins special asst to HC, #4 overall D
    2002-2005 Texans HC best record 7-9, D rankings #16, #31, #23, #31
    1999-2001 Jags D coord, rankings #4, #12, #16
    1995-1998 Panthers HC, one winning season, D rankings #7, #10, #15, #30
    1992-1994 Steelers D coord, #13, #3, #2

I just don't see a defensive guru.
    As a HC he's pathetic, and his D's are the reason.

Please tell me why the Packers will be better, I just don't see it?
    The issue wasn't their Defense, it was their predictability. Capers is known as a blitzing guru. I know they are the pack but they have a very talented Defense. Two lock down(old) corners, Talent at the saftey position. A great LB corp and an above average DL. Their offense is so good that any improvement by their Defense will make them better. It's like we are the inverse of the pack. Our defense is soo good that any improvement will make us light years better.
    Blitzing is great if it works, but if it doesn't it can be disasterous.
    Blitzing the master of the screen pass, Favre, should be interesting.
    Favre faced Capers in NE twice last year, week 2 QB rating of 86, week 11 rating of 119.
    Capers D in Miami in 2006, Favre had a 91 rating.

The Pack D was ranked #20 over all, #12 against the pass, #26 against the run.
    So your claim is the players are great and it was all Bob Sanders fault the D sucked.

Granted the Pack has very good DB's in Woodson, Harris, and Collins.
    Thus the reason their passing D is as good as it is.

Kampman and Barnett are the only one that have done anything, possibly Hawk. The none of the rest of DL or LB's has had more than 3 sacks last year.
    The leading tackler in GB last year was Hawk, ranked #66 in NFL.

I don't see anything to claim GB's D is going to be anything better than last year.
    They may take more risks, but then they will give up some big plays too.
    Especially against teams with experienced QB's that also have a good running game.
    Sound like anyone you know?

[size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

I remember laughing when they inked MM due to his background.
    He's done alright for himself, better than Chilly so far anyways.

I'll reserve judgment for a couple of seasons but my guess is he does just fine.
    It will be interesting to see how the antique CBs are replaced.

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I remember laughing when they inked MM due to his background.
    He's done alright for himself, better than Chilly so far anyways.

I'll reserve judgment for a couple of seasons but my guess is he does just fine.
    It will be interesting to see how the antique CBs are replaced.
    MM has had one great season, 2007, otherwise his seasons were 8-8 and 6-10.
    Chilly has at least improved each year, 6-10, 8-8, and 10-6, all with musical QB's.

So I'll also reserve judgement.
    [size=12pt]
    [/size]

"gagarr" wrote:
    All the analysts are talking about how Dom Capers is going to transform the Pack into a great D.

Well, it's the NFL - anything can happen.
    So the Packers could definitely be better.

But the stats you point out show that Capers' resume is hardly the equal to a guy like Tony Dungy that I would actually expect to come in and make a defense better without necessarily upgrading the talent.
    He just hasn't shown that.
    And if there is talent on that D, it certainly didn't show in the stat book or W-L column last year.

I think the majority of the excitement is simply around the 3-4 scheme.
    The NFL is going that way, though it's still uncommon in the NFC.
    It theoretically gives you more speed and some different options for rushing the passer.
    Since this is a passing league, that should help.
    And many of the top defenses do use 3-4 systems.
    But there are also bad 3-4 teams (e.g. Cleveland, the Jets, and the Chargers weren't very good on D last year).

Who knows what will actually happen.
    But I think your skepticism is well founded.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"gagarr" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "gagarr" wrote:

I was curious, so I looked up his influance on D's during his career, here's what I found

2009 Packers D coordinator (preseason), #28 overall, #31 passing, #16 rushing
    2008 Patriots Special Asst to HC/secondary #10 overall, #11 passing, #15 rushing
    2007 Dolphins D coordinator #23 overall D, #4 passing, #32 rushing
    2006 Dolphins special asst to HC, #4 overall D
    2002-2005 Texans HC best record 7-9, D rankings #16, #31, #23, #31
    1999-2001 Jags D coord, rankings #4, #12, #16
    1995-1998 Panthers HC, one winning season, D rankings #7, #10, #15, #30
    1992-1994 Steelers D coord, #13, #3, #2

The issue wasn't their Defense, it was their predictability. Capers is known as a blitzing guru. I know they are the pack but they have a very talented Defense. Two lock down(old) corners, Talent at the saftey position. A great LB corp and an above average DL. Their offense is so good that any improvement by their Defense will make them better. It's like we are the inverse of the pack. Our defense is soo good that any improvement will make us light years better.
    Blitzing is great if it works, but if it doesn't it can be disasterous.
    Blitzing the master of the screen pass, Favre, should be interesting.
    Favre faced Capers in NE twice last year, week 2 QB rating of 86, week 11 rating of 119.
    Capers D in Miami in 2006, Favre had a 91 rating.

The Pack D was ranked #20 over all, #12 against the pass, #26 against the run.
    So your claim is the players are great and it was all Bob Sanders fault the D sucked.

Granted the Pack has very good DB's in Woodson, Harris, and Collins.
    Thus the reason their passing D is as good as it is.

Kampman and Barnett are the only one that have done anything, possibly Hawk. The none of the rest of DL or LB's has had more than 3 sacks last year.
    The leading tackler in GB last year was Hawk, ranked #66 in NFL.

I don't see anything to claim GB's D is going to be anything better than last year.
    They may take more risks, but then they will give up some big plays too.
    Especially against teams with experienced QB's that also have a good running game.
    Sound like anyone you know?

I believe that blitzing Favre can be quite dangerous. He knows how to read defenses and how to get rid of the ball really fast. Apart from that, like you said, he's quite good at screen passes. He's also the master of erratic throws, though. Just look at that 2007 NFCC game. When you bring some pressure you will force QBs into mistakes. Who ever it is. Just look one game further and see, arguably, the best QB in the league getting manhandled because of pressure.

It wasn't totally Bob Sanders' fault that the defense sucked last year. Not making any sort of adjustments and running standard plays with very few blitzes was. His defenses are build around a very strong front four. Something we had in 2007 and we lost in 2008 when KGB went ineffetive, Cullen Jenkins got injured and Williams got traded to the Browns. He wasn't able to make a single adjustment to keep the defense going after that. Our secondary saved us from a 3-13 record there, I think. That pretty much sums up your problems with the sacks last year as well.

I think that there's a lot to be more optimistic about. You call it taking more risks, I call it pressure. You, as a Vikings fan, should know all about how that impacts a defense, as your defense has become so much more effective agaisnt the pass with Jared Allen. Getting Cullen Jenkins back and having Raji on the team will make a huge impact by itsself. The emergence of players like Jeremy Thompson and Desmond Bishop will help as well. Apart from that, we won't be blitzing 6 on every play. Often, it'll be the unpredictability which causes a good blitz in the 3-4. This was just a standard play in the pre-season. NT drops into coverage, DEs pinch the tackles inside, Kampman takes on the RB/TE and Woodson gets to the QB. It's things like that that'll make for the biggest improvement this year.

As to your original post. I agree, the stats aren't that impressive. It has been impressive that he has shown that he can turn a bad 4-3 defense into a good 3-4 in one year (Jacksonville, for instance). If the man has some talent on his defense, he will deliver.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

People also forget about how injuried the Packer's D was last season.

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    I believe that blitzing Favre can be quite dangerous. He knows how to read defenses and how to get rid of the ball really fast. Apart from that, like you said, he's quite good at screen passes. He's also the master of erratic throws, though. Just look at that 2007 NFCC game. When you bring some pressure you will force QBs into mistakes. Who ever it is. Just look one game further and see, arguably, the best QB in the league getting manhandled because of pressure.

It wasn't totally Bob Sanders' fault that the defense sucked last year. Not making any sort of adjustments and running standard plays with very few blitzes was. His defenses are build around a very strong front four. Something we had in 2007 and we lost in 2008 when KGB went ineffetive, Cullen Jenkins got injured and Williams got traded to the Browns. He wasn't able to make a single adjustment to keep the defense going after that. Our secondary saved us from a 3-13 record there, I think. That pretty much sums up your problems with the sacks last year as well.

I think that there's a lot to be more optimistic about. You call it taking more risks, I call it pressure. You, as a Vikings fan, should know all about how that impacts a defense, as your defense has become so much more effective agaisnt the pass with Jared Allen. Getting Cullen Jenkins back and having Raji on the team will make a huge impact by itsself. The emergence of players like Jeremy Thompson and Desmond Bishop will help as well. Apart from that, we won't be blitzing 6 on every play. Often, it'll be the unpredictability which causes a good blitz in the 3-4. This was just a standard play in the pre-season. NT drops into coverage, DEs pinch the tackles inside, Kampman takes on the RB/TE and Woodson gets to the QB. It's things like that that'll make for the biggest improvement this year.

As to your original post. I agree, the stats aren't that impressive. It has been impressive that he has shown that he can turn a bad 4-3 defense into a good 3-4 in one year (Jacksonville, for instance). If the man has some talent on his defense, he will deliver.
    Not to be a wet blanket... but when's the last time a defensive lineman has come into the NFL and really done much of anything this first season?
    Even Mario Williams took 2 or really 3 years to round into NFL form.
    D Lineman just don't tend to be impact players when matched up against the bigger, stronger, more physical NFL caliber O Lineman.
    He may have a good career, but I wouldn't count on having a better, more aggressive, higher pressure D Line because of a rookie.
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

Articnv is offline Coach

teams are switch to the 3 -4 cause the NFL si a copy cat leaguge.
    But
    when i was watching a sports show
    they were talkign about the 3 -4 and

they the anaylsts said there was alreadya
    few to many 3 - 4 defenses because theres just nto as much talented LB/DEs for every to make the switch

dfosterf is offline Coach

We are not relying on our rookies for pressure. Ol' Brett is gonna see some familiar faces helping him up off the turf.
    [Purple Nation looks at one another and says, "Woodson?
    Was that Charles Woodson that just creamed Brett?"]

Yes it was.
    Heard it here first.
    Raji and our other 1st rounder (Clay Matthews) are not on our 1st unit (yet). My bet is Raji gets in there pretty soon, because he moves people backwards REAL good.

Wet blanket-wise...Mr. Purple drank (Jolly--you remember him) plays ahead of Raji.
    We are loaded with LB's btw.

Go ahead and believe what you want.
    I would too, if I were a Viking fan. I would hang my hat on the concept that it's gonna take x amount of time for the transition to the 3-4, Dom Capers is over-rated, etc.

Unfortunately Brett and co. will not be afforded that luxury.
    When they are scraping Brett off the turf, no one on the Vikings is gonna care so much about what Dom did as a defensive coordinator in 1992.
    They will be a little busy trying to figure out who is coming next.

You see what you wanna see, and us Puker fans will see what we wanna see.
    Watch out for Woodson...he's a comin' (sometimes) ;D

"dfosterf" wrote:
    We are not relying on our rookies for pressure. Ol' Brett is gonna see some familiar faces helping him up off the turf.
    [Purple Nation looks at one another and says, "Woodson?
    Was that Charles Woodson that just creamed Brett?"]

Yes it was.
    Heard it here first.
    Raji and our other 1st rounder (Clay Matthews) are not on our 1st unit (yet). My bet is Raji gets in there pretty soon, because he moves people backwards REAL good.

Wet blanket-wise...Mr. Purple drank (Jolly--you remember him) plays ahead of Raji.
    We are loaded with LB's btw.

Go ahead and believe what you want.
    I would too, if I were a Viking fan. I would hang my hat on the concept that it's gonna take x amount of time for the transition to the 3-4, Dom Capers is over-rated, etc.

Unfortunately Brett and co. will not be afforded that luxury.
    When they are scraping Brett off the turf, no one on the Vikings is gonna care so much about what Dom did as a defensive coordinator in 1992.
    They will be a little busy trying to figure out who is coming next.

You see what you wanna see, and us Puker fans will see what we wanna see.
    Watch out for Woodson...he's a comin' (sometimes) ;D

I read somewhere Capers was GB's third choice for DC, I wonder why.

Lets look at your great starting line-up

NT
    Pickett
    48 tackles (tied for #250 in NFL)
    1.5 sacks
    DE Jolly 49 tackles (tied for #249)
    0 sacks
    DE Jenkins in 4 games 13 tackles 2.5 sacks, coming off a season ending injury, preseason 4 tackles
    OLB Thompson
    2nd year, 9 games, 3 starts, 8 tackles
    OLB Kampman here's a stud 62 tackles 9.5 sacks, but playing a new position
    ILB Hawk lead the Pack in tackles with 86, which ranked him #66, 3 Vikes ahead of him.
    ILB Barnett could be a stud depending on how he comes back from his injury

1 stud last year, 2 potential studs coming of season ending injury, 1 average, 3 below average

GB does have one of the best back fields in the game with Woodson, Harris, and Collins.
    But the Vikes have the best RB in the league, so they will be spending time in the box not breaking up passes.
    Also, I believe Caper's system uses more zone, where Woodson and Harris are best at man coverage.
    But maybe he has changed it.

But the proof is in the pudding and the Pack starts off against a division rival that not only had a winning season last year (unlike the Pack) but also had a major offensive upgrade with Cutler.

So the new and improved Capers D will get a good test right off the bat.
    My money is on the Bears.

[size=12pt]
    [/size]

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast