RIcky Williams retiring ???

I was amazingly shocked when i saw this. first barry then robert smith now ricky why are all these amazing rbs hanging it up so early?

I heard he holds many of the same views Robert Smith holds maybe Smith Influenced him??? I dont know im just shocked

Report: Williams tells Dolphins he will retire

July 25, 2004
    MIAMI (AP) -- Ricky Williams has told the Miami Dolphins that he's retiring after just five years in the NFL, The Miami Herald reported on its Web site Sunday.

Williams said he was overjoyed by his decision.

``You can't understand how free I feel,' Williams told the Herald in a cell phone interview Saturday before boarding a plane in Hawaii and heading to Asia to begin several months of travel.

The 27-year-old running back, who started his career with the New Orleans Saints, said he plans to file his retirement papers with the NFL on Monday or Tuesday.

Williams told Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt of his decision Friday and said Wannstedt tried to persuade him to reconsider. Miami opens training camp Friday.

The Dolphins acquired Williams from New Orleans for two first-round draft picks in 2002, and he led the NFL in rushing that year.

Phone messages left early Sunday with two Dolphins officials and Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, weren't immediately returned.

``I have no comment,' Wannstedt told the Herald when asked about Williams' retiring. ``Players report Friday. Right now, it's a 10-day dead period. We'll get everybody started on Friday.'

Wannstedt acknowledged talking with Williams but declined to give details of their conversation.

Williams said there was no chance he would change his mind.

He said he has already told his mother Sandy, Steinberg, backup running back Travis Minor and friends and family of his decision.

In May, three South Florida newspapers reported that Williams tested positive for marijuana and faced a fine of at least $650,000 for violating the league's substance-abuse policy for a second time since joining the Dolphins.

But his attorney, Gary Ostrow, told The Associated Press: ``As far as I'm concerned, there is no violation.'

Williams told the Herald his failed marijuana tests had a minor influence on his decision to retire, but was only one of many factors. It didn't cause him to retire, he said, as much as reinforce his reasons for wanting to do so.

Williams' two seasons with the Dolphins have been the best of his career. He set a team record with 1,853 yards rushing in 2002. He followed that with 1,372 yards last season.

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Fascinating article. Ricky has always been a unique individual. I think he's pretty bright and has a major phobia of people, crowds, etc. Not to mention his affinity for a certain herb.

My next door neighbor growing up, (he's younger), Dusty Renfro roomed with Ricky their first two years at The University of Texas. Dusty was a straight 'A' student, graduated early, and is fifth all-time at UT in tackles. Dusty, stated to me many times how smart Williams was but, how unpredictable he is too.

I guess this is one of the bummers of these great atheletes getting so much money, they don't have to play much longer than 5-6 years if they choose and aren't idiots with their investments.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

True tex they can retire very comfortably early if they desire to do so.

he may have wanted to leave while he was in his prime. so many players wait it out way to long(emmit smith) who is only mediocre now. and will be rembered for dragging his career out.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

This is a huge shock.

What I don't understand about Williams and Barry Sanders is why they retired when they did. Why not announce your retirement at a time when your team can at least prepare for your loss? This really leaves the Phins hanging out to dry, just like Sanders screwed the Lions.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    This is a huge shock.

What I don't understand about Williams and Barry Sanders is why they retired when they did. Why not announce your retirement at a time when your team can at least prepare for your loss? This really leaves the Phins hanging out to dry, just like Sanders screwed the Lions.
    Very true.

must of been a recent descion because i heard Ricky just finished a kids football camp and Robert Smith helped with it.

But 6 days from camp thats almost selfish....I can somewhat understand why he hung it up but at least help the team that gave up alot for you by giving a little notice.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Wow what a shocker to see a great runner in ricky williams leave the nfl. Maybe hes not happy in miami and will possibly come back to another team in a year or two??? :scratch:

Hard to believe someone like him would just hang up his guns and call it quits when he could possibly make millions more.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I was absolutely shocked when I saw that he retired on ESPNs bottom line this morning!! At first I thought it was the other ricky williams, that plays for the colts or wherever!! Tough blow to the Dolphins! Travis Minor and Fred Russell probably won't carry the load!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Just a total shot in the dark here, but I'm wondering if there isn't something major going on behind the scenes.

He really emphasized that he was "free". I wonder if someone had some information on him that perhaps they were threatening to go to a newspaper with, or something. Like, perhaps drug information. Or, perhaps something about his personal life or something. Instead of feeling like being help hostage, worrying about whether he was going to have to deal with the release of this information during the year, he chose to just retire. Thus, he was "free".

Total shot in the dark, and I have nothing to back it up (except that he wore a wedding gown the day of his first press conference with Mike Ditka in New Orleans).
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

TEXPACK is offline Pro-Bowler

Los,

I think if you look back that "wedding dress" stunt was just an illustration to show the 'marriage' between Ditka and Ricky. (a commitment, if you will)

It is being reported Williams came up hot on another piss test. I think the freedom he speaks of has to do with his invasion of privacy by constantly having to give UAs and the pressures which are applied to NFL players by their teammates, coaches, fans and themselves. Sometimes, its better to walk away. It is just a game.
    Some of us will do our jobs well and some will not, but we will all be judged by only one thing - the result." --Vince Lombardi

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

That's a good point tex!! He's free now because he can move to some remote area and smoke all the dope he wants, without being pissed tested! I guess I always thought you quit smoking dope after college!!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!