singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Packers tickets losing luster?

Posted September 15, 2006

[size=13pt]Packers tickets losing luster?[/size]

Fans, brokers say some abandoning team's bandwagon

By Ed Lowe
    Post-Crescent staff writer

Pam Zeman has 10 open seats on her bus to the Packers-Vikings game in Minnesota on Nov. 12, evidence enough that Packers fans aren't optimistic about the season ahead.

"It's been hard going this year," the Town of Menasha resident and lifelong Packers fan confessed.

As the Green Bay faithful brace for what has the look of a long and humbling campaign, Packers tickets aren't as prized, or as hard to find, as they were a couple of years ago when the team was a bona fide contender.

Zeman was at Lambeau Field last Sunday as the dreaded Chicago Bears mauled the Packers 26-zip.

And if that wasn't painful enough, she found herself more or less surrounded by Bears fans.

"My dad had these seats all his life and we've never seen that before," Zeman said. "People are selling their tickets."

This is confirmed by Keith Cegelski, who maintains a Post-Crescent newspaper ad seeking Packers tickets.

"We found quite a few and they were very, very cheap," said Cegelski, of Green Bay, a managing partner of the Titletown Promotions ticket brokerage. "I cannot believe how inexpensive tickets became after that Bears game."

Like other Packers tickets resellers, Cegelski's prices reflect the law of supply and demand.

"A week and a half before the Bears game, they were getting $175 to $325 (per ticket) on the Internet.

"Now for this (New Orleans) game, I'm paying face value and that's it," Cegalski said. "I have a feeling people will be able to buy them for less than that before the game."

Tickets to Sunday's game were selling for as little as $89 apiece Thursday at Ticket King, a brokerage a block from Lambeau Field.

The price dropped 20 bucks since the season opener, manager Josh Anderson said.

"There's no question that prices have come down," Anderson said Thursday. "Last week, before we played the Bears, I think we were at $109 for our cheapest tickets to the Saints. Now, we're at $89."

The $20 decline is a direct result of the outcome of last week's game, said Anderson, a Packers fan.

"It's only one game," he said. "As far as I'm concerned, they're tied for second in the league."

Zeman's once-a-year Packers bus tours, conducted with the help of The Tenth Frame bar and bowling alley, don't generate much profit even when the seats are full, she said.

"We did it to get the Packer fans together to cheer for the team," she said.

Still, less than two months before the bus departs from Appleton, Zeman is buying ads and hoping for touchdowns enough to reform Packers fans suddenly less willing to bail water than abandon ship.

"If the team struggles we can struggle with them," she said. "We could be helping to cheer them on, but it seems like there are so many fair-weather fans out there."

Zeman recalls those not-so-ancient days when hard-weather opportunists could seize end zone tickets at five or 10 bucks a pop. But even then there were true believers.

"There used to be people who watched the games with paper bags on their heads," she said.

"My dad would knock the bags off. 'You do not wear those things in my stadium,'" he'd say.

Fair weather or not.

Ed Lowe can be reached at 920-993-1000, ext. 293, or at [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Packers tickets losing luster?

The fall of the Favre empire?

[img width=120 height=120]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b21/singersp82759/violin_notes_fly_out_md_wht.gif[/img]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Packers tickets losing luster?

"singersp" wrote:

"It's only one game," he said. "As far as I'm concerned, they're tied for second in the league."
    yep'd .. tied for second place for the worst team in the league.
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...