Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Re: Mike McCarthy has a (very) few words for Vikings off-season smack

"Prophet" wrote:
    I agree that they need to stay in control, but, I highly doubt that it will get ugly fast from a Vikings' fan perspective.
    Very much doubt that.
    If the Packers strike early and Mr. Burns pulls a repeat of last season and gets pass happy.. it could.

I very much doubt it as well, but I will believe the improvements in the passing game when I see them under the lights Monday. I still think our best chance to win, is make TJ and the receiving corp beat us.

But on the flip side without the green and gold glasses, I could see a long night in front of us Packers fans if the interior of the line can't hold. That may get ugly in a hurry.. but MM should adjust and go to the quick passes and get you on your heels a little.

Like stated above... should be a fine matchup.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    To me, Allen's play can be a problem with the GB game. As you say Prophet:
    Yes, it has happened.
    Yes, it was preseason and Allen was mass producing testosterone in meaningless games.
    Allen will be producing even more testosterone in this game (as will all the Vikings) and they will all need to know to keep themselves under control or it could get ugly fast.
    I agree that they need to stay in control, but, I highly doubt that it will get ugly fast from a Vikings' fan perspective.
    Very much doubt that.
    I sure hope you are right!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"pack93z" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I can't wait for Allen to over commit to his upfield rush and us gash the gap that he will leave behind. For as good of a pass rusher he may be, he plays much like KGB does.. too aggressive upfield while leaving your mates exposed behind you. Maybe Chilly and Frazier will game plan for that.. but if they commit a backer up, that will leave a crease in the short slant coverage. Allen has added a dimension to your pass rush, but weakened another part of the defense. Like I said.. I am more concerned inside with the Williams brothers on our interior line than I am of Allen.
    pack93Z make an excellent point here. I've seen this in the pre-season games. His motor gets running for a sack and he tends to overpursue. I'm sure Childress has warned him about it. He can't lay back, but he can't always bull rush either. It's a fine line that he has to keep balanced. Now if the fans will only hold off in showing disappointment that he doesn't get 4-6 sacks a game as they want to see, he will be fine.
    Do you seriously think that when he's going for the sack there isn't someone else assigned to covering the obvious gap left while he's pursuing?
    Sure there is. Usually the OLB. But then that does open up the zone where that guy should be. Allen has good pursuit, too good sometimes and over commits. I've seen it happen in several pre-season games and so have you.
    All I am saying is we exploited him last season in KC and in the little I have seen of footage from the preseason.. he hasn't changed. He is quick to jump upfield and wide at that. Sure you can back fill that lane.. but to do so it will weaken the short passing defense or open up another gap to draw within.

Don't get me wrong, he will help you folks along this season, but there are some things that he does that you can plan against; such has how he drops his inside should to far when trying to come inside.. I liken him much to the player KGB was a couple seasons ago, he takes himself out of plays quite often.

Thanks Cojo for seeing it with the blinders off.

Im hoping that the williams boys will be able to crash over to fill in the gap if needed

Hopefully this wont be an isssue for us

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"pack93z" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I can't wait for Allen to over commit to his upfield rush and us gash the gap that he will leave behind. For as good of a pass rusher he may be, he plays much like KGB does.. too aggressive upfield while leaving your mates exposed behind you. Maybe Chilly and Frazier will game plan for that.. but if they commit a backer up, that will leave a crease in the short slant coverage. Allen has added a dimension to your pass rush, but weakened another part of the defense. Like I said.. I am more concerned inside with the Williams brothers on our interior line than I am of Allen.
    pack93Z make an excellent point here. I've seen this in the pre-season games. His motor gets running for a sack and he tends to overpursue. I'm sure Childress has warned him about it. He can't lay back, but he can't always bull rush either. It's a fine line that he has to keep balanced. Now if the fans will only hold off in showing disappointment that he doesn't get 4-6 sacks a game as they want to see, he will be fine.
    Do you seriously think that when he's going for the sack there isn't someone else assigned to covering the obvious gap left while he's pursuing?
    Sure there is. Usually the OLB. But then that does open up the zone where that guy should be. Allen has good pursuit, too good sometimes and over commits. I've seen it happen in several pre-season games and so have you.
    All I am saying is we exploited him last season in KC and in the little I have seen of footage from the preseason.. he hasn't changed. He is quick to jump upfield and wide at that. Sure you can back fill that lane.. but to do so it will weaken the short passing defense or open up another gap to draw within.

Don't get me wrong, he will help you folks along this season, but there are some things that he does that you can plan against; such has how he drops his inside should to far when trying to come inside.. I liken him much to the player KGB was a couple seasons ago, he takes himself out of plays quite often.

Thanks Cojo for seeing it with the blinders off.
    Kansas City didn't have the Williams Brothers either.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"pack93z" wrote:
    4) What is sad is that Rodgers may be further along in his development than TJ at this point, even with less than a game of regular season experience. This claim is based on preseason action to date, albeit with Jackson's injury probably a unfair comparison to this point. We shall see on Monday night.. if I had to wager on the two head to head, I would take Rodgers at this point.
    pack, if you are basing your claims on preseason action to date, you might want to go back and look again.
    TJack looked much better in the preseason action he saw than Rodgers did in his.
    tb04512 said it best:
    [size=11pt]I wouldn't say rogers is past Tjack based on preseason, because he went 37-54 for 436 yards threw 3 TD's but threw a pick, and got sacked 7 times.. rating of 103.6
    while jackson wen 15-22 200 yards 2 TD's no turnovers NOT sacked once rating of 127.1
    [/size]

"pack93z" wrote:
    6) How has your pass defense looked so far this preseason, eh.
    ;D
    Not bad.
    In fact, let's compare it against the Packers pass defense:
    Pts/G Comp Att Pct Yds/G Sacks
    Green Bay 25.2 66 132 50.0% 185.5 2
    Minnesota 19.2 99 144 68.0% 189.2 11

As it turns out, Minnesota's D has performed much better than the Packer's D.
    In fact, even though teams enjoyed a better completion percentage against Minnesota, the Packers gave up more points and just as many yards per game.
    And even though some of your packer brethren are proclaiming that Kampman is going to get 5+ sacks, the Packers are dead last in sacks this preseason.
    link

"pack93z" wrote:
    7) NP.. Harris didn't cheap shot AP, we have been over that a couple hundred times... no more so than your DE took a cheap shot at Favre on the late hit. Bodies mashed together at high speeds cause injuries.. plain an simple. I personally fear for injury every time AP takes the field due to his running style and attitude.. heck of a player.
    I actually agree.

Harris may play for the wrong team, but he isn't a dirty player by any means.
    The likelihood of Harris actually intending to hurt AD is about as high as Bevell (or anyone else) actually talking to Fav-re while representing the Vikings in any capacity.
    However, if there are Packer fans trolling here still claiming that the Vikings were in any way responsible for the circus caused by TT and Fav-re, then I reserve the right to bring up the illegal bounties the Packer D had going last year...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    4) What is sad is that Rodgers may be further along in his development than TJ at this point, even with less than a game of regular season experience. This claim is based on preseason action to date, albeit with Jackson's injury probably a unfair comparison to this point. We shall see on Monday night.. if I had to wager on the two head to head, I would take Rodgers at this point.
    pack, if you are basing your claims on preseason action to date, you might want to go back and look again.
    TJack looked much better in the preseason action he saw than Rodgers did in his.
    tb04512 said it best:
    [size=11pt]I wouldn't say rogers is past Tjack based on preseason, because he went 37-54 for 436 yards threw 3 TD's but threw a pick, and got sacked 7 times.. rating of 103.6
    while jackson wen 15-22 200 yards 2 TD's no turnovers NOT sacked once rating of 127.1
    [/size]

"pack93z" wrote:
    6) How has your pass defense looked so far this preseason, eh.
    ;D
    Not bad.
    In fact, let's compare it against the Packers pass defense:
    Pts/G Comp Att Pct Yds/G Sacks
    Green Bay 25.2 66 132 50.0% 185.5 2
    Minnesota 19.2 99 144 68.0% 189.2 11

As it turns out, Minnesota's D has performed much better than the Packer's D.
    In fact, even though teams enjoyed a better completion percentage against Minnesota, the Packers gave up more points and just as many yards per game.
    And even though some of your packer brethren are proclaiming that Kampman is going to get 5+ sacks, the Packers are dead last in sacks this preseason.
    link

"pack93z" wrote:
    7) NP.. Harris didn't cheap shot AP, we have been over that a couple hundred times... no more so than your DE took a cheap shot at Favre on the late hit. Bodies mashed together at high speeds cause injuries.. plain an simple. I personally fear for injury every time AP takes the field due to his running style and attitude.. heck of a player.
    I actually agree.

Harris may play for the wrong team, but he isn't a dirty player by any means.
    The likelihood of Harris actually intending to hurt AD is about as high as Bevell (or anyone else) actually talking to Fav-re while representing the Vikings in any capacity.
    However, if there are Packer fans trolling here still claiming that the Vikings were in any way responsible for the circus caused by TT and Fav-re, then I reserve the right to bring up the illegal bounties the Packer D had going last year...
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Yes, it has happened.
    Yes, it was preseason and Allen was mass producing testosterone in meaningless games.
    Allen will be producing even more testosterone in this game (as will all the Vikings) and they will all need to know to keep themselves under control or it could get ugly fast.
    I'm not too worried. Allen is a very good player and can adjust for running plays. Yes he is an incredible pass rusher but look at his tackles and you see that he can also play the run. Plus he is good at getting his hands up when he can't get the sack. He has 25 passes defensed.
    Even if the vikes do get burned a couple of times on quick slants(because the linebacker is playing the gap) Allen will get to take a running shot or two at Rodgers, which should pay dividends later in the game.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"pack93z" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    Very much doubt that.
    If the Packers strike early and Mr. Burns pulls a repeat of last season and gets pass happy.. it could.

I very much doubt it as well, but I will believe the improvements in the passing game when I see them under the lights Monday. I still think our best chance to win, is make TJ and the receiving corp beat us.

But on the flip side without the green and gold glasses, I could see a long night in front of us Packers fans if the interior of the line can't hold. That may get ugly in a hurry.. but MM should adjust and go to the quick passes and get you on your heels a little.

Like stated above... should be a fine matchup.
    That whole post without mentioning Rogers has never even started an NFL game. That will be a story of it's own.

And the thing about Allen is, if he is 5 yards in the backfield, with a tackle, the offense isn't ready for that on a run play and it causes a lot of problems. That's a big blob of huddled mass to run around right there, and how long will it take our tackles to shutdown that inside soon after, not very.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    Yes, it has happened.
    I'm not too worried. Allen is a very good player and can adjust for running plays. Yes he is an incredible pass rusher but look at his tackles and you see that he can also play the run. Plus he is good at getting his hands up when he can't get the sack. He has 25 passes defensed.
    Even if the vikes do get burned a couple of times on quick slants(because the linebacker is playing the gap) Allen will get to take a running shot or two at Rodgers, which should pay dividends later in the game.
    I actually see this as an issue with Allen.
    It has been his whole career, and we did see it a few time sin preseason when he takes the fast outside edge.
    However, Allen has never has the advantage of lining up with a line like ours, so I have a feeling that it won't be as much of an issue as some would like to believe.
    I do think our rushing D will suffer slightly as a result, but the increased performance in our Pass D will more than make up for it.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Personally I think Allen crashing the outside is a good thing

Last year the only sucess the Pack had running on us was to the outside.. This year mr. Grant will run straight into Allen

If he cuts it inside it will take some time and Kevin Williams is too fast and strong he will be able to bust through the backup center and guard

If not Greenway should get over there in time

The same goes with the Pack speedy rushers.. I think he need to get inside cuz Kampman will crash the outside

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast