Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kleinsasser40 is offline Coordinator

Loyal Fans in Wisconsin?

Recently this phenomenon has come to my attention...

I know quite a few people from Wisconsin. They are all HUGE packer fans, or have been the past few years. They live here in Minnesota and go to college with me. All through the baseball season they have been rooting for the Twins, even for the summer when they were back home in Wisconsin. What I do not get is, why aren't they big Brewer fans?

Is it because the brewers havent been a good team yet? I would tend to think so. They are Packer fans because the Pack was good for a few years, during the Favre Era (which is quickly ending). Come to think of it NONE of my friends who are from wisconsin root on the Brewers. They root for the twins...because they are winning.....they rooted for the Packers.....because they were winning........hhmmmmm

In all reality I do not think that Packer Fans are devoted as one would think. Sure, they are fanatic during a good season, but it seems that even this early in the season my friends are starting to care less on how the packers do, and are sitting quietly during the Vikings game, instead of rooting for the other team.......something is strange here. If Pack fans were as devout as they are thought to be they would not have left the side of the Brewers for sucking, and would still be cheering their team on as I was all through our 6-10 season two years ago ( I think it was 6-10....too lazy to look up stats). But the point is that we were sucking horribly and most Viking fans were right by their side, and it already seems to me that Packer fans are fading faster and faster even so early in the season.

A little disclaimer here though. I am not saying that ALL Packer fans don't care about their team anymore. Obviously if you ahve been on this site for many years and dealt with our shit you ARE a good Packers fan. I am not putting up this article to be immature, or to piss anyone off (Los, Packman, etc...). It is simply something I have noticed and I just want feedback from others here to see if they have noticed any of the same thing with their Packer fan friends. Are they from Wisconsin? Do they like the Wisconsin teams that are not as good or do not have as illustrious of a past?
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

Loyal Fans in Wisconsin?

Sorry, this was supposed to just be in the general discussion area.
    [img:2264cdc124]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/ultravikingfan/vikesklein.jpg[/img:2264cdc124]

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Loyal Fans in Wisconsin?

No problem, and I don't think it ticked anyone off.

Most true fans usually don't pay much mind to the bandwagon jumper-ons and jumper-offs. A lady on the radio, though, was jsut commenting about how her seats are getting surrounded by a bunch of rich folks who don't really follow football, and they spend more time worrying about beach balls, doing the wave, and getting blasted instead of yelling during the 3rd and 7 right in front of them. It's part of the NFL becoming less a game is it is entertainment, and less entertainment as it is a business.

Personally, I'm a die-hard, and always will be. I'm looking forward to getting tickets much cheaper this year and going to more games.

The Brewers are a tough sell. They haven't won since 1982, and are such as small-market team that they never really compete. Miller Park also did a lot of bad politicking...it really set the tone that the Brewers belonged to Milwaukee, and less to Wisconsin, whereas I think the Packers are more universal to the state.

In the terms of people tailing off of the Packers this year...well, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact we've been spoiled. There's a lot of people who don't remember the Infante years, or the Forrest Gregg years, or the Starr years, or the Devine years (actually, I don't remember the Devine years), and think that the Packers have always had winning records. Yeah, its a collective thump of people jumping off the bandwagon, but I don't see much difference between that and any other NFL team. The true fans just end up filling the stadiums instead of the opportunists.

Don't know if that helped you at all. I don't think I'm arguing that much with you. If the Packers rip off 5 wins in a row, the turkeys will all jump back on the bandwagon. But, I'll still be driving. :-)
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

cheesefree is offline Starter

Re: Loyal Fans in Wisconsin?

"Kleinsasser40" wrote:
    I know quite a few people from Wisconsin. They are all HUGE packer fans, or have been the past few years. They live here in Minnesota and go to college with me. All through the baseball season they have been rooting for the Twins, even for the summer when they were back home in Wisconsin. What I do not get is, why aren't they big Brewer fans?
    The Brewers are 0-1 in the World Series and when was the last time they even played in the post season :scratch:
    [b:6191debc1d]it ain t easy being cheesy[/b:6191debc1d]
    [img:6191debc1d]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p834fa46b07efd9e3efdcb7cb577f214e/f73f7170.jpg[/img:6191debc1d]

fan4favre is offline Starter

"cheesefree" wrote:
    "Kleinsasser40" wrote:
    The Brewers are 0-1 in the World Series and when was the last time they even played in the post season :scratch:

Does it matter? What I really don't get is why any Viking fan feels they have a better fan base than the Packers, let alone bandwagon fans to a lesser or greater extent? This conversation was bunk from the outset.

poult is offline Asst. Coach

Loyal Fans in Wisconsin?

well the packer bandwagon is a true thing. they have the most fans in the NFL i've heard. so they are the redwings, yankees, or lakers of the NFL. not that its a bad thing, but ive always heard that those 4 teams in their seperate leagues have the most representation by fans when they are on the road. hell, i think i saw a redwings game versus the capitals where over half the arena was wearing red and white.

but then when they are at home, its hard to find an opponents jeresey in the stands.

but heres the brewers thing. i live in milwaukee, and people here jsut know the brewers stink and pretty much refuse to pull for them. they are all resentful that the team has let all their free agents go, or traded the good players. they are pissed about a stadium whos roof still doesnt work 100%. and they are really pissed that when our city had a chance to shine, the jackass owner made the all star game end in a tie. i wasnt here when yount and molitor played for them, im guesing ti was diffrent back then. but now a days, people dont really care about the brewers here.
    "the only diffrence between suicide and martyrdom is the press coverage"
    Tender Branson

SacredStar is offline Rookie

Loyal Fans in Wisconsin?

poult.....let me assure you, Packer fans "think" they have the largest fan base in the nation. But ask them to prove it and they can't.

I have lived in Wisconsin for 30 years now, and just 14 years ago, when the Packers were on a 20 year + losing streak and I can assure all here their fan base was almost non-existant or in hiding. You didn't see every man, woman, and child wearing Packer merchandise. In fact you hardly saw any Packer merchandise as most people were simply embarassed to being associated with that franchise in the down years. Then along comes Brett Favre and Reggie White, the Packers improve greatly and ....lo and behold, everyone is a Packer fan now, and has been for years.( ya right).

Everyone goes out and buys anything green and yellow, everyone proclaims themselves Packer fans since birth, everyone says they are the best team in the best stadium and have the most and best fans of any sports team in the country. They attempt to label themselves "America's Team" and attempt to steal the famous title of the Dallas Cowboys. They buy them stupid car flags and have one car flag for each window not realizing that one car flag for the whole car is all that is needed to let everyone know they are Packer fans.

They brag with big mouthes when the Packers win, and don't mumble a word when they lose. I can tell the last two weeks where I work, with over 2000 thousand employees, it has been extremely quiet and hardly anyone is wearing the ugly colors of Green Bay at work. Heck, they won't even look you in the eye, they are flat out embarassed. Fair weather fans, just like all teams have.

I can attest to the major increase of Packer mania, but it never came about until the Packers started winning consistantly. They have lost 3 games now and I already see tons of their fans locally here bailing ship.....yep, that's a true fan there, a true bandwagon fan.

You see, everyone wants to be associated a winner, so when a team wins consistantly, peolple support that team because it makes themselves feel like a winner, it makes them feel good. All teams have bandwagon fans....yes, even the Packers. When Green Bay starts losing, like now, but more consistantly, it is quaranteed that their fan base will shrink, their teams merchandise sales will plummet and a good number of these fans will jump to the next team for that feel good syndrome. I'm not saying anyone here is that way, but all teams do have fans like that. If the Vikings were to win the Super Bowl, their fan base would increase substantially overnight.

And if you check the famous list for season tickets to Lambeau, you will see that 97% of the people on that waiting list are from Wisconsin. This state heavily supports their sports teams, the Packers and the Badgers. If the Brewers were good consistantly, I bet these Wisconsin "fair weather fans" would sell out that stadium also. it's the same way with the Badgers. I used to wear Badger shirts at work when the emblem was that little plain "W". Everyone would rip on me because at that time, the Badgers were the cellar dwellers of the Big Ten. Enter Barry Alvarez,enter a winning streak, enter "now everyone is a Badger fan and always has been". The Badgers fanbase has grown big time since Alvarez came aboard....why?....because now Wisconsin is good and the bandwagon jumpers have jumped aboard the Wisconsin Badger glee club.

In closing, the Packers do have a large fan base, but it is because they have been winning consistantly for 12 years now. When the losing starts, the fan base will dwindle dramatically. I've saw it 13 years ago, and Ill see it again. I do very much look forward to it. The sooner, the better. :thumbleft:
    [img:2dca9ca3d7]http://www.boomspeed.com/insano/ss.jpg[/img:2dca9ca3d7]

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

"Kleinsasser40" wrote:
    Recently this phenomenon has come to my attention...

Is it because the brewers havent been a good team yet? I would tend to think so. They are Packer fans because the Pack was good for a few years, during the Favre Era (which is quickly ending). Come to think of it NONE of my friends who are from wisconsin root on the Brewers. They root for the twins...because they are winning.....they rooted for the Packers.....because they were winning........hhmmmmm

In all reality I do not think that Packer Fans are devoted as one would think. Sure, they are fanatic during a good season, but it seems that even this early in the season my friends are starting to care less on how the packers do, and are sitting quietly during the Vikings game, instead of rooting for the other team.......something is strange here. If Pack fans were as devout as they are thought to be they would not have left the side of the Brewers for sucking, and would still be cheering their team on as I was all through our 6-10 season two years ago ( I think it was 6-10....too lazy to look up stats). But the point is that we were sucking horribly and most Viking fans were right by their side, and it already seems to me that Packer fans are fading faster and faster even so early in the season.

A little disclaimer here though. I am not saying that ALL Packer fans don't care about their team anymore. Obviously if you ahve been on this site for many years and dealt with our shit you ARE a good Packers fan. I am not putting up this article to be immature, or to piss anyone off (Los, Packman, etc...). It is simply something I have noticed and I just want feedback from others here to see if they have noticed any of the same thing with their Packer fan friends. Are they from Wisconsin? Do they like the Wisconsin teams that are not as good or do not have as illustrious of a past?

You forgot to mention anything about the bucks. They have made it to the playoffs the past few years despite quick elimination. How bout some feedback on them or is everyone a t-wolves fan like a being a twins fan in wisconsin.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

"hawaiianvike21" wrote:

You forgot to mention anything about the bucks. They have made it to the playoffs the past few years despite quick elimination. How bout some feedback on them or is everyone a t-wolves fan like a being a twins fan in wisconsin.
    Sorry, I don't know anything about the Bucks or their fans. No one I know, from Minnesota or Wisconsin really likes pro basketball. I was just taking the two big sports of the time.

Loyal Fans in Wisconsin?

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    No problem, and I don't think it ticked anyone off.

Most true fans usually don't pay much mind to the bandwagon jumper-ons and jumper-offs. A lady on the radio, though, was jsut commenting about how her seats are getting surrounded by a bunch of rich folks who don't really follow football, and they spend more time worrying about beach balls, doing the wave, and getting blasted instead of yelling during the 3rd and 7 right in front of them. It's part of the NFL becoming less a game is it is entertainment, and less entertainment as it is a business.

Personally, I'm a die-hard, and always will be. I'm looking forward to getting tickets much cheaper this year and going to more games.

The Brewers are a tough sell. They haven't won since 1982, and are such as small-market team that they never really compete. Miller Park also did a lot of bad politicking...it really set the tone that the Brewers belonged to Milwaukee, and less to Wisconsin, whereas I think the Packers are more universal to the state.

In the terms of people tailing off of the Packers this year...well, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact we've been spoiled. There's a lot of people who don't remember the Infante years, or the Forrest Gregg years, or the Starr years, or the Devine years (actually, I don't remember the Devine years), and think that the Packers have always had winning records. Yeah, its a collective thump of people jumping off the bandwagon, but I don't see much difference between that and any other NFL team. The true fans just end up filling the stadiums instead of the opportunists.

Don't know if that helped you at all. I don't think I'm arguing that much with you. If the Packers rip off 5 wins in a row, the turkeys will all jump back on the bandwagon. But, I'll still be driving. :-)
    Great Post LA and good point as well it is all about marketing and how it is projected to the public sector as a whole from you brief It would seem someone has really droped the ball it could also have to do with spending and not being able to bring in the wright staff and players to make a mark on spectators of the game in the state :!:

great discussion thanks all
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast