Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SKOL_Master is offline Rookie

Lambeau Mystique

Playoff loss at home in January followed by two consecutive season opening losses....

The 'mystique' is gone.
    c36083684f6cb51c68ec9ce28f2be935

Lambeau Mystique

agreed, couldn't have said it better.
    Here s the most important thing: You can NEVER lose your sense of humor. Without that, you ve got NOTHING. (Divinci) James Belushi

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Lambeau Mystique

Actually, there has been talk of Curley's Curse. That we shouldn't have messed with the stadium as it had all the hoodoo from the glory years left on it, and when we remodeled, it was gone.

Scary, ain't it. You guys could build a whole new stadium and start winning Super Bowls.
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Lambeau Mystique

Hey, that's a great idea los, we could get rid of the bad dome demons! We haven't been to the super bowl since the dome has been built!! That's a great idea los. (I am as superstitious as they come!!)

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

Lambeau Mystique

Lambeau Mistake
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

Lambeau Mystique

"LosAngelis" wrote:
    Actually, there has been talk of Curley's Curse. That we shouldn't have messed with the stadium as it had all the hoodoo from the glory years left on it, and when we remodeled, it was gone.

Scary, ain't it. You guys could build a whole new stadium and start winning Super Bowls.

Not a bad Ideal Los!! :lol:
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

Lambeau Mystique

A blurb from today's Jsonline:

Suddenly, the Packers have become vulnerable at home after a decade of domination. Counting the playoffs, they're merely 6-5 at Lambeau Field in their last 11 games after going undefeated in 12 homes games immediately before that.

purplehorn is offline Hall of Famer

Lambeau Mystique

And then there is that future loss Nov 14th
    looming on the horizon.
    Green Bay police station toilet stolen.

Cops say they have nothing to go on.

Lambeau Mystique

Opponents don't fear Lambeau

By RICK BRAUN
    [email protected]
    Posted: Sept. 29, 2004
    Green Bay - The Lambeau Field mystique seems to have disappeared.

The Green Bay Packers would love to send out a search party. Since going a perfect 8-0 at home in the regular season in 2002, the Packers have posted a mediocre 5-4 record in regular-season games on their beloved home turf, and an equally mediocre 6-5 mark counting two playoff games.

The most recent home failure was the 21-10 loss to the Chicago Bears in the home opener. It marked the second consecutive season the Packers dropped the home opener.

Simply put, the Packers' recent home record is not nearly good enough.

"That's a concern," said right tackle Mark Tauscher. "We take a lot of pride in winning here and 6-5 is definitely not good enough to get where we want to get. You can't be .500 at home. There needs to be a distinct advantage when we play here and 6-5 definitely doesn't shout that there's a huge advantage to us."

Said defensive end Aaron Kampman: "That's not near good enough. Especially with the fan base and the aura of playing in Lambeau Field. It's something we want to correct."

The struggle started back on Jan. 4, 2003.

The Packers played a horrific regular-season finale in which they could have clinched home-field advantage and a first-round bye in the playoffs. Instead, they allowed the New York Jets to drop a 42-17 bomb on them, and their 12-4 record left them playing on the first weekend of the playoffs instead of getting a week of rest.

Michael Vick and the Atlanta Falcons came into Lambeau Field on that January evening and more than had their way, 27-7. It marked the Packers' first post-season loss on Wisconsin soil.

"We don't want to be a team that ever loses at home going back to the Atlanta playoff game or any other game before that," said veteran fullback William Henderson. "The respect we want to have at home has got to be premier in our minds. I don't know what it's going to take to get us there, but I know that we're going to go back to that sense of pride for how we play here."

Packer players are unable to point to a specific reason for the home-field failures. The losses have come with poor starts and poor finishes. In the Atlanta playoff loss, the Packers trailed, 24-0, at the half.

In the 2003 home opener, a 30-25 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, the Packers trailed, 27-3, before posting a futile rally.

In another loss, the 40-34, overtime debacle against Kansas City last Oct. 12, the Packers blew a 31-14 fourth-quarter lead, took a 34-31 lead with under three minutes left, then allowed a game-tying field goal. They lost in overtime on a 51-yard touchdown pass one play after Ahman Green lost a fumble.

The Packers also lost another game at the end after leading most of the way. They out-gained the Philadelphia Eagles, 309-282, including a whopping 241 rushing yards. Yet they lost when the offense couldn't pick up a clutch fourth-quarter first down, and the defense allowed the Eagles to drive the ball 65 yards for a winning touchdown in a 17-14 defeat on Monday Night Football on Nov. 10.

So what has happened to the once-invincible Packers on the Frozen Tundra?

"I never even thought about that," said running back Tony Fisher. "I guess it seems right now that not too many opponents come in here afraid of the Lambeau legend, and we've got to do a better job of upholding the tradition. That's something we've got in our corner and we've got to take advantage of it."

"That's a tough question," said guard Marco Rivera. "You always want to win when you play at home, but it's tough. Who did it last year? New England won all their home games last year? It's really tough to win all your home games. Everybody's pretty equal in talent. So if we just go out there and just do what we're supposed to do and win our games, hopefully we get that back."

But what is it that left?

"I don't have an answer for you. I couldn't give you anything," Tauscher said. "You'd have to look at who we lost to and how it happened. We haven't played as well as we should. I guess that would be the easiest way to give that a good answer."

It seems there is no easy answer.

"I don't think anything's changed," said wide receiver Donald Driver, who had his breakout season in 2002 when the Packers were 8-0 at home in the regular season. "Guys are still playing here. Our offense is still here. The defense is new, but that's about it. I think we did everything we were doing back in 2002. It's just that the balls don't bounce your way. And in that Chicago game the ball didn't bounce our way."

Of course, in the other four losses that same thing could have been said.

"When teams come in here, each time it's different," said linebacker Na'il Diggs. "There's never a stat or a tendency for us to lose games at Lambeau or win games at Lambeau.

"What we need to re-establish is winning at Lambeau and that's the only stat that we need to worry about, whether it's 6-5, 4-6, 7-3. Whatever it is, we need to re-establish the dominance of Lambeau. We're at home, and we should be a very dominant team at home. And right now we have to come back and establish that next week and the week after that and get things back on track."

With the loss to Chicago, Packer coach Mike Sherman spent the week leading into last Sunday's game at Indianapolis in a surly mood.

"I think our record over the last four years is a good record at home," Sherman said. "I would like it to be a perfect record at home. It causes me great angst when it's not. And they know exactly how I feel about that."

They might know it, but they didn't sound like they had a lot of answers other than the usual, "We have to work harder"

But they do know what the end result has to be.

If the Packers post something like a 5-3 home record, they can pretty much kiss their ultimate goal for the season - a playoff run culminating in a Super Bowl - goodbye. It should take a record of at least 12-4 to get a first-round bye and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs.

The New England Patriots in 2001 are the only team out of the last 15 Super Bowl winners to not win at least 12 regular-season games.

"Our goal is not to lose at home, so we have to win all seven (remaining games) at home," Driver said. "That's our job. That's our goal, to not lose another game at home and we've already lost one. They say you don't lose at home and you try to break even on the road, so our goal right now is to win the next seven games at home."

That drive starts Sunday against the New York Giants. But along the way, there will be difficult opponents. The Tennessee Titans follow New York, and the Dallas Cowboys, Vikings and St. Louis Rams also come to Lambeau.

For those keeping score, last season the Rams won 12 games and the NFC West, the Cowboys won 10 games and earned a wild-card berth and the Titans won 12 games and a wild-card berth. No patsies there, at least on paper right now.

"We've got to win the rest," Fisher said. "Typically you want to win the rest of your games and obviously we want to win the rest of our games here. We've got our work cut out for us and we've got to be prepared for everything that's thrown at us."

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Lambeau Mystique

"LosAngelis" wrote:

Well, the Pack "rededicated" Lambeau with a loss, in front of a bunch of pack alumni, to a division rival. That can't sit well with whatever spirits were watching over the place, and if there's one thing I've learned being a Cubs fan, it's that pissed off spirits can be a real bitch to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast