Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Hard data on the Packers for discussion...

Found this in the NFL Prospectus. I cut out the best parts....

- The Packers lost a lot in the offseason (McKenzie, Wahle, and Rivera), and didn't add a lot.

- Favre threw 4 INTs in last year's playoff game against MN

- Mike Sherman couldn't get along with the Packer's best cornerback, Mike McKenzie, who went to New Orleans

- The Packers were the worst team in the NFL last year in stopping throws to tight ends and running backs. That shows that their linebackers and safeties are bad in coverage.

- Donald Driver is 30 and can't really stretch the field anymore. With Walker and Fergusen out, the Packers don't have a long ball... (and the long ball is by far Favre's favorite pass).

- Favre really is just as good (bad) indoors as outdoors. It is myth that he is better on grass. Favre has been decent indoors (Indy, St.Louis, etc.) but has had very bad days in the dome in Minneapolis.

- Marco Rivera, one of the best offensive linemen, is gone (to Dallas)

- The Packers only have two good linebackers (Diggs and KGB). They are succeptible to the pass out of the backfield.

- The Packers used a 3rd-round pick on a punter (B.J. Sander) who couldn't even make the team

- Mike Sherman has carried out Stalin-esque purges of his staff, almost the entire defensive staff is new this year. Sherman not only couldn't get along with many assistants, but also got rid of the good corners and has brought in corners of his own who are not as good. Losing both McKenzie and Darren Sharper in one season has to hurt ! The majority of the secondary is inexperienced.

GBFan is offline Starter

Re: Hard data on the Packers for discussion...

now that we can look back on it, getting rid of McKenzie was the right move. He certainly hasn't been anything special over in New Orleans

as for the 2nd part, that's still true to this year, sort of. Packers are 11th or 12th in the league against the pass this year, in fact, Al Harris has been tremendous this season, but it seems the TE's and RB's are still the ones getting yards on them, but their backfield has certainly improved this year, which I give FULL credit to Jim Bates and the new defensive staff

their O-line hasn't been as terrible as some people thought it would. Yeah, their running game isn't that great, but Favre hasn't been sacked a whole lot, which you could give credit to Favre who has been a master at eluding sacks this season

as for the next part, it says they only have 2 good linebackers in Diggs and KGB.....KGB is a DE, so that person needs to do a bit more research. Barnett has certainly improved this season under Bates as well

yeah, I'm bored, felt like giving my 2 cents on a few things

cheers

SamDawg84 Guest

correct me if im wrong but didnt green bay lose whale and mckensie was traded 1 year before we stole sharpdawg.and green bay is goin to lose green and farve next season. cause no hilly billy plays when he is as old as his house lol

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

They also lost Wahle in the off season. Another huge part of their offensive line.

On paper, the vikings should beat almost anyone, especially the packers, but no matter how good or how bad each team is these games are ALWAYS good.

My predictions. Favre 270 yds 1 TD 2ints. Samkon Gado 85 yards 1 TD 1 Fumble, forced by Napo. FG By Longwell

Brad Johnson 280 yards 2 TDs(1 to Wiggins 1 to Troy) no Ints. Mewelde Moore 2 TDs 125 yards. He's gonna break a run up the middle and put a nasty move on one of GBs sub-par safeties. Edinger FG

Final 31-17 Vikings. It will be interesting in the first half then the vikes take control.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

i didnt know they wasted a 3rd rounder on a punt. drafting kickers/punters before the 7th round has always puzzled me.
    losing all those oline palyers hurts bad, unless your a vikings fan. SKOL
    We're bringing purple back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I would LOVE to see Mewelde break a long one...or Bennett, for that matter (when he comes in to spell MM for a change of pace)!

No way does BJ get more yards than Bretty Boy...I wish that would happen, but it won't...Bretty Boy will fling it as long as they are down...which I hope is ALL DAY LONG!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

The reason Farve doesn't get sacked a lot is because he would prefer to throw an INT than take a hit.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"GBFan" wrote:
    as for the 2nd part, that's still true to this year, sort of. Packers are 11th or 12th in the league against the pass this year, in fact, Al Harris has been tremendous this season, but it seems the TE's and RB's are still the ones getting yards on them, but their backfield has certainly improved this year, which I give FULL credit to Jim Bates and the new defensive staff

their O-line hasn't been as terrible as some people thought it would. Yeah, their running game isn't that great, but Favre hasn't been sacked a whole lot, which you could give credit to Favre who has been a master at eluding sacks this season

cheers
    GB hasn't been as bad as everyone predicted. Their record is bad, but they have lost a lot of close games. I agree, the DB has been better, reflected in their pass defense standings. I also agree that the line is better than predicted. They have done a good job protecting Favre. I was all looking forward to sacking Favre at the dome, but we didn't get a lot of pressure on him.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    The reason Farve doesn't get sacked a lot is because he would prefer to throw an INT than take a hit.
    LMAO!

Brad and Brett are in the same position, preserving career longevity.

audioghost is offline Star Spokesman

After seeing the Packers beat the Falcons last week, I must say that I am somewhat worried about them (since they beat one of the best running teams in the league and now our team is centered around the run)....However, hopefully the Vikes pull off a much needed win!

A.G s HOTTEST NEW RAP CD: AUDIO GHOST & MAIN EVENT drop THE SEED: I made tha beats www.myspace.com/audioghost2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast