Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson: I thought we'd be better

"Caine" wrote:
    "Rockmolder" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Gruden made comments that he knew the Raiders offense too well in the SuperBowl game.
    It helped them call the Defense.

That might have been an insight to winning "that" game.
    OK, lets try a couple of others....

a.
    JAX, would they have had "Giant" like success if they would have kept thier HC instead of letting him go else were?
    Were would the Giants be if the FO wouldn't have had patience with thier HC?

b.
    Pittsburg.
    Cowher.
    It isn't like he just stepping in and won it all right away.

c.
    Denver.

Wayback, Shanahan.
    took him a while.

Today, fans were ready to pooh can that new cat before a single snap had taken place.

Hell, even the Chiller was on the hot seat from day one when he basically gutted the team and started over.

Long story short, consistency is the key here.
    That and a GM who understands what type of player the coaching staff needs.
    But all of those coaches have one thing in common. They've been improving consistently from season to season. The Jaguars, arguably, made a mistake in letting him go. Something had to change, though, as he was there for 8 years with the last 3 being losing records. Before that, though, he kept improving the team.

Cowhere didn't win it all in his first seasons, but he did go to the play-offs in his first six, going to the Super Bowl once. His resumé didn't get him fired in those two down years, but he again showed an upwards line after that, winning a SB with his team.

Shanahan actually did start winning right away. He took them from 7-9 to 8-8 in his first season, went to the play-offs with a 13-3 record the year after that and won 2 Super Bowls in the two seasons after thát.

Don't get me wrong, I think McCarthy can get it done if Ted gets the man a decent O-line. He's a QB guru and a very good offensive minded coach. It's just that if there'll have to be a scapegoat, I see it being him. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind getting in Gruden or, if possible, Cowher.

It's just this softness that is so gol 'darnit annoying. TT and McCarthy both appear to be such softies when it comes to their players. We're still highly penalized. We're still sloppy on a lot of fundamentals. You'd just like to hear him yell at his players ones. Give blame where it is due.
    Personally, I think Ted Thompson is the biggest douche in football...after Al Davis...but he's closing the gap.

There is a reason he got run out of Seattle.
    He believes in only building via the draft…and there’s some merit to that philosophy, but it doesn’t take into account the fact that after the initial contract, his players can – and do – depart for more lucrative teams.
    So he loses premier talent, but signs none to replace it.
    He fails to upgrade opportunistically via free-agency except when forced to by the Leagues minimum salary expenditure requirements.
    I think that he has learned from his mistakes to a certain extend. He's resigning our players now and he's still building through the draft. The only problem I have is that he's still not signing FAs to shore up the huge holes we have on an otherwise solid team. He signed Woodson and Pickett quite a while ago, but he still hasn't made any moves for a good offensive lineman. The closest we got was Preston. If he'd go out and invest some picks in a trade for a good OT, I'd marry the man.

It should be no mystery to anyone why Seattle went to the Superbowl AFTER Thompson left.
    Truthfully, the blame for your team not performing lies with Thompson.
    He altered the situation, but brought no one in to make it work.
    Is there anyone moronic enough to believe that Aaron Kampmann is a better LB than DE?
    Is there anyone completely brain dead enough to believe that moving Kampmann to LB would improve his play?
    Apparently Ted Thompson thought so.
    So they hired a guy to change their Defense, but gave him no material to work with…brilliant.
    You don't change a defense so one of your players can perform better, you do it so the unit as a whole will play better football. They're no worse than they where as a 4-3 last year and this is in the very first year of the transistion. It's hardly as good as we hoped it'd be, though.

I don't think that you can put any blame on the GM if Kampman doesn't convert well to an OLB. Is the same gamble the Dolphins took with Taylor. The same one the Patriots are taking with Burgess and the Cowboys took with Demarcus Ware. The same gamble that 3-4 teams make every single year when they draft an end out of college. We knew that he wasn't the most athletic guy out there, but you can't fault them here, if you ask me.

On offense, your O-line is virtually non-existent.
    Clifton coming back won’t solve those woes…he’ll just buy a second on the left side, the right side will still be porous.
    Tauscher will be back as well. You can't deny that he's one hell of a pass blocker (15.5 sacks in his entire career, less than Barbre would give up this season alone). Won't help our running game, though.

Then there’s Rodgers, who plays very conservatively because he’s following a legend.
    He has virtually NO 4th quarter comeback victories because he takes no chances.
    He only throws safe throws.
    His stats look great…until you hit that W/L line.
    Seriously? It's pretty funny that he's getting shot down for trying to go deep too often, as well. People just want to complain about this kid as much as they can, it seems.

He has virtually no 4th quarter comebacks because the defense gave up big plays every single time he took our team back in front.

And most of this lies at the doorstep of Ted “Douche” Thompson.
    Had he capitalized on certain talent opportunities, Green Bay would not be in the position it’s in.
    But he doesn’t because he’s too stubborn and too proud.
    And, until he’s fired, I don’t see him changing.
    He’ll just change head coaches.

Enjoy the return of the dark ages.

Caine
    We'll see what happens. He'll have to start making moves along the O-line soon or I'm afraid that he'll get Rodgers killed. That won't do anyone any good. He'll lose his job and we'll lose a great QB.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    You don't change a defense so one of your players can perform better, you do it so the unit as a whole will play better football.
    What
    JK my friend.

Pack said you were kindof football smart for a PUKER.
    Told him he was the only PUKER fan I thought new anything about football..........

Posts like that make me want to believe him you might be another....... ;D

Don't know how many times we've gone down the "Players that still seem to have talent/year or 2 left vs do they fit in the scheme" discussion.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Rockmolder" wrote:
    You don't change a defense so one of your players can perform better, you do it so the unit as a whole will play better football.
    What
    JK My Farvish Friend.

Pack said you were kindof football smart for a PUKER.
    Told him he was the only PUKER fan I thought new anything about football..........

Posts like that make me want to believe him you might be another....... ;D

Don't know how many times we've gone down the "Players that still seem to have talent/year or 2 left vs do they fit in the scheme" discussion.

Ty, lol. Helps to have a good teacher.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

[img width=450 height=337]http://media.journalinteractive.com/images/DeannaFavre1.jpg[/img]
    We're bringing purple back.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123