Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson: I thought we'd be better

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Gruden made comments that he knew the Raiders offense too well in the SuperBowl game.
    It helped them call the Defense.

That might have been an insight to winning "that" game.
    OK, lets try a couple of others....

a.
    JAX, would they have had "Giant" like success if they would have kept thier HC instead of letting him go else were?
    Were would the Giants be if the FO wouldn't have had patience with thier HC?

b.
    Pittsburg.
    Cowher.
    It isn't like he just stepping in and won it all right away.

c.
    Denver.

Wayback, Shanahan.
    took him a while.

Today, fans were ready to pooh can that new cat before a single snap had taken place.

Hell, even the Chiller was on the hot seat from day one when he basically gutted the team and started over.

Long story short, consistency is the key here.
    That and a GM who understands what type of player the coaching staff needs.
    But all of those coaches have one thing in common. They've been improving consistently from season to season. The Jaguars, arguably, made a mistake in letting him go. Something had to change, though, as he was there for 8 years with the last 3 being losing records. Before that, though, he kept improving the team.

Cowhere didn't win it all in his first seasons, but he did go to the play-offs in his first six, going to the Super Bowl once. His resumé didn't get him fired in those two down years, but he again showed an upwards line after that, winning a SB with his team.

Shanahan actually did start winning right away. He took them from 7-9 to 8-8 in his first season, went to the play-offs with a 13-3 record the year after that and won 2 Super Bowls in the two seasons after thát.

Don't get me wrong, I think McCarthy can get it done if Ted gets the man a decent O-line. He's a QB guru and a very good offensive minded coach. It's just that if there'll have to be a scapegoat, I see it being him. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind getting in Gruden or, if possible, Cowher.

It's just this softness that is so damn annoying. TT and McCarthy both appear to be such softies when it comes to their players. We're still highly penalized. We're still sloppy on a lot of fundamentals. You'd just like to hear him yell at his players ones. Give blame where it is due.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

They were man (not soft) enough to run Favre out of town.
    They even stared him down face to face, told him he wasn't wanted.

Sorry Rock, I had to say it.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"snowinapril" wrote:
    They were man (not soft) enough to run Favre out of town.
    They even stared him down face to face, told him he wasn't wanted.

Sorry Rock, I had to say it.
    LOL, and to think, I'm the one who get scolded for turning everything into a LNAD discussion...... ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Ted Thompson is like every other Packers fan - delusional.
    He probably thinks they should by 7-0 right now.

In all seriousness, I have to agree with Marrdro that the GM making these kind of comments doesn't bode well for the head coach.
    I also agree that keeping a head coach for many years as opposed to constantly hiring someone new is usually the way to go.

I continue to believe that there are very few if any great head coaches, but many good ones.
    Unless it becomes obvious you hired a complete idiot or someone that doesn't fit in the organization, then in my opinion the best move for the franchise is usually to hold on to the guy.

But the reality of the NFL today is that we get more coverage thrown our way in 24 hours than used to be available in a month.
    People from the fans to the owners demand action after a bad year that seems to last an eternity in that environment.
    The best interest of the franchise in terms of wins may not be the best interest in terms of tickets.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    Gruden made comments that he knew the Raiders offense too well in the SuperBowl game.
    It helped them call the Defense.

That might have been an insight to winning "that" game.
    OK, lets try a couple of others....

a.
    JAX, would they have had "Giant" like success if they would have kept thier HC instead of letting him go else were?
    Were would the Giants be if the FO wouldn't have had patience with thier HC?

b.
    Pittsburg.
    Cowher.
    It isn't like he just stepping in and won it all right away.

c.
    Denver.

Wayback, Shanahan.
    took him a while.

Today, fans were ready to pooh can that new cat before a single snap had taken place.

Hell, even the Chiller was on the hot seat from day one when he basically gutted the team and started over.

Long story short, consistency is the key here.
    That and a GM who understands what type of player the coaching staff needs.
    But all of those coaches have one thing in common. They've been improving consistently from season to season. The Jaguars, arguably, made a mistake in letting him go. Something had to change, though, as he was there for 8 years with the last 3 being losing records. Before that, though, he kept improving the team.

Cowhere didn't win it all in his first seasons, but he did go to the play-offs in his first six, going to the Super Bowl once. His resumé didn't get him fired in those two down years, but he again showed an upwards line after that, winning a SB with his team.

Shanahan actually did start winning right away. He took them from 7-9 to 8-8 in his first season, went to the play-offs with a 13-3 record the year after that and won 2 Super Bowls in the two seasons after thát.

Don't get me wrong, I think McCarthy can get it done if Ted gets the man a decent O-line. He's a QB guru and a very good offensive minded coach. It's just that if there'll have to be a scapegoat, I see it being him. If that's the case, I wouldn't mind getting in Gruden or, if possible, Cowher.

It's just this softness that is so gol 'darnit annoying. TT and McCarthy both appear to be such softies when it comes to their players. We're still highly penalized. We're still sloppy on a lot of fundamentals. You'd just like to hear him yell at his players ones. Give blame where it is due.
    Personally, I think Ted Thompson is the biggest douche in football...after Al Davis...but he's closing the gap.

There is a reason he got run out of Seattle.
    He believes in only building via the draft…and there’s some merit to that philosophy, but it doesn’t take into account the fact that after the initial contract, his players can – and do – depart for more lucrative teams.
    So he loses premier talent, but signs none to replace it.
    He fails to upgrade opportunistically via free-agency except when forced to by the Leagues minimum salary expenditure requirements.

It should be no mystery to anyone why Seattle went to the Superbowl AFTER Thompson left.
    Truthfully, the blame for your team not performing lies with Thompson.
    He altered the situation, but brought no one in to make it work.
    Is there anyone moronic enough to believe that Aaron Kampmann is a better LB than DE?
    Is there anyone completely brain dead enough to believe that moving Kampmann to LB would improve his play?
    Apparently Ted Thompson thought so.
    So they hired a guy to change their Defense, but gave him no material to work with…brilliant.

On offense, your O-line is virtually non-existent.
    Clifton coming back won’t solve those woes…he’ll just buy a second on the left side, the right side will still be porous.
    Then there’s Rodgers, who plays very conservatively because he’s following a legend.
    He has virtually NO 4th quarter comeback victories because he takes no chances.
    He only throws safe throws.
    His stats look great…until you hit that W/L line.
    And most of this lies at the doorstep of Ted “Douche” Thompson.
    Had he capitalized on certain talent opportunities, Green Bay would not be in the position it’s in.
    But he doesn’t because he’s too stubborn and too proud.
    And, until he’s fired, I don’t see him changing.
    He’ll just change head coaches.

Enjoy the return of the dark ages.

Caine

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Overlord" wrote:

In all seriousness, I have to agree with Marrdro that the GM making these kind of comments doesn't bode well for the head coach.
    I also agree that keeping a head coach for many years as opposed to constantly hiring someone new is usually the way to go.

I continue to believe that there are very few if any great head coaches, but many good ones.
    Unless it becomes obvious you hired a complete idiot or someone that doesn't fit in the organization, then in my opinion the best move for the franchise is usually to hold on to the guy.

But the reality of the NFL today is that we get more coverage thrown our way in 24 hours than used to be available in a month.
    People from the fans to the owners demand action after a bad year that seems to last an eternity in that environment.
    The best interest of the franchise in terms of wins may not be the best interest in terms of tickets.
    You are right, delusional.
    That was a good one, 7-0!

I would take the comments as they thought they put a good team on the field.
    They are realizing that they don't, partly because of injury and partly because of the players.
    They need to work on solidifying their back ups over the next few years.

It would be a mistake to get rid of McFatty as BLV would call him.
    JMHO!

I agree, hold on to the guy.

Ted is the one that seems to have made the bold moves here.
    I think he is equally if not more responsible for where they are right now, which isn't that terrible, even at 2-2.
    It isn't 4-0 but not all teams can be that good.
    Sorry, this is a trash the Pack thread, have to poke some fun in these posts.

oaklandzoo24 is offline Star Spokesman

They should look at getting themselves an oline.
    Why they let Tauscher go and did not sign Jamon Meridith is beyond me.
    "There are 3 things that sell in America:
    Violence, sex, and drugs.
    The only way you are going to make this game more appealing to the public than it was before is if there are on field orgies at halftime and the domes become massive opium dens."

[img width=450 height=55]http://img216.imageshac

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

They are realizing that they don't, partly because of injury and partly because of the players.

JMHO!

I think he is equally if not more responsible for where they are right now, which isn't that terrible, even at 2-2.

Trash the Pack does not begin to describe what's going on in here. Lol.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "Overlord" wrote:

JMHO!

Love trashing the PUKERS, however, I wasn't trashing them.
    I love talking about the dynamic between the HC and the GM/FO pukes..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    Or what went on in the Metrodome on Monday night.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast