Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson: I thought we'd be better

[size=13pt]Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson: I thought we'd be better[/size]

BY ROB DEMOVSKY • [email protected] • OCTOBER 9, 2009

That’s why when Thompson made a statement like he did on Friday, just four games into the season, it was evident that his team’s 2-2 start isn’t sitting too well with him.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson: I thought we'd be better

"VikingMike" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson: I thought we'd be better[/size]

BY ROB DEMOVSKY • [email protected] • OCTOBER 9, 2009

That’s why when Thompson made a statement like he did on Friday, just four games into the season, it was evident that his team’s 2-2 start isn’t sitting too well with him.

[size=20pt]Vikings fan UffDaVikes: I'm glad they suck[/size]

By Denny Jahnz
    Purplepride.org Oct 10 2009.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Ahhhhh, the ole "Who gets the Blame" discussion will now take place and the guy who isn't in charge will get fired.

Typically the cat in charge of picking the players (The GM) will say he is giving the coaching staff talented players and the coaching staff isn't doing thier job with respect to getting them ready to go.

Looks like ole Mac might be looking for a job.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Ahhhhh, the ole "Who gets the Blame" discussion will now take place and the guy who isn't in charge will get fired.

Typically the cat in charge of picking the players (The GM) will say he is giving the coaching staff talented players and the coaching staff isn't doing thier job with respect to getting them ready to go.

I don't think Ted is one for the blame game.

That said, I like McCarthy. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't want him gone if we can get a better coach. I mean, Gruden is still out there and you can always attempt to get Cowher back out of retirement again. We already have his first defensive coördinator.

You're always trying to upgrade your team. Age is no aspect when it comes to hiring coaches, so you should just go out and hire the best coach who also best fits your system. I think that Cowher fits that perfectly. And so does Gruden. They're both great coaches who I would rank over McCarthy at this point.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

"Rockmolder" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

That said, I like McCarthy. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't want him gone if we can get a better coach. I mean, Gruden is still out there and you can always attempt to get Cowher back out of retirement again. We already have his first defensive coördinator.

You're always trying to upgrade your team. Age is no aspect when it comes to hiring coaches, so you should just go out and hire the best coach who also best fits your system. I think that Cowher fits that perfectly. And so does Gruden. They're both great coaches who I would rank over McCarthy at this point.
    I'm not so sure you can keep taking the approach of shitcanning a HC every 3 or 4 years and think that is "Upgrading" the team.

I believe that history has proven that teams that stay patient with thier HC's and let them have time to get the right guys for thier schemes are the ones that get it done on a more consistent basis.

Quick question, did Chucky's team or Dungy's team win that SB?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Rockmolder" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I'm not so sure you can keep taking the approach of shitcanning a HC every 3 or 4 years and think that is "Upgrading" the team.

I believe that history has proven that teams that stay patient with thier HC's and let them have time to get the right guys for thier schemes are the ones that get it done on a more consistent basis.

It was Dungy's team mainly. It was Gruden's work ethic and amazing ability to scheme around his team that made them win that SB.

I agree with you that canning your HC every 4 years doesn't work, but there's going to have to be a scapegoat if we go 6-10 or something again. We had our defensive- and special teams staff last year. That'd leave either Ted or McCarthy (Who is nearly part of the offensive staff). I think it'd be McCarthy at this point.

I don't know if it's fair, but I do think it'll happen. For McCarthy, that 13-3 fluke season might've been a horrible thing to happen and he has a horrible O-line which I don't think you can fault him for.

Teams usually keep HCs they're having success or are at least moving upwards. I think that you can pretty much say that this works the other way around as well. It's something mutual. Again, that's where his 13-3 season comes back to bite him, I'm afraid.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Rockmolder" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

good point. They both went elsewhere and had rapid success. I say keep McMuffin around if he's a bad coach...bodes well with the vikings scheme.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Gruden made comments that he knew the Raiders offense too well in the SuperBowl game.
    It helped them call the Defense.

That might have been an insight to winning "that" game.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Gruden made comments that he knew the Raiders offense too well in the SuperBowl game.

OK, lets try a couple of others....

a.
    JAX, would they have had "Giant" like success if they would have kept thier HC instead of letting him go else were?
    Were would the Giants be if the FO wouldn't have had patience with thier HC?

b.
    Pittsburg.
    Cowher.
    It isn't like he just stepping in and won it all right away.

c.
    Denver.
    Wayback, Shanahan.
    took him a while.
    Today, fans were ready to shit can that new cat before a single snap had taken place.

Hell, even the Chiller was on the hot seat from day one when he basically gutted the team and started over.

Long story short, consistency is the key here.
    That and a GM who understands what type of player the coaching staff needs.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

OK, lets try a couple of others....

a.
    JAX, would they have had "Giant" like success if they would have kept thier HC instead of letting him go else were?
    Were would the Giants be if the FO wouldn't have had patience with thier HC?

b.
    Pittsburg.
    Cowher.
    It isn't like he just stepping in and won it all right away.

c.
    Denver.
    Wayback, Shanahan.
    took him a while.
    Today, fans were ready to pooh can that new cat before a single snap had taken place.

Hell, even the Chiller was on the hot seat from day one when he basically gutted the team and started over.

Long story short, consistency is the key here.
    That and a GM who understands what type of player the coaching staff needs.
    I am not going to argue with that rationale.
    ;D

I don't think that Chilly has been on the hot seat with the owners.

I think Chilly and Wilf are part of your rationale.
    8)

Hopefully Ted and McCarthy are on that same thought process too.
    ;D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast