Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 38 of 38
  1. #31
    OchoCinco's Avatar
    OchoCinco is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    770

    Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

    Farve lover....hello, you are in enemy territory...what do you expect? Love? Respect? A section dedicated to your worship of farve? Get bent. This place is about us, not the packers, farve or you. Who do you expect us to hate? Your the only ones who come over here spouting off about your past glory, and your sliding leader. I just wish you guys would come here with a point or a leg to stand on in your rants. I guess I just have more to do than go to your sites and tell you how bad you are, you say enough by coming here and making asses out of yourselves. Genius.....

  2. #32
    LosAngelis's Avatar
    LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,735

    Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

    "Caine" wrote:
    The amount of specifically anti-Packer content on this site is far and away greater than the amount of anti-anyone else...that I grant you.

    HOWEVER,

    When taken as a percentage of the whole, it really isn't all that great. It just seems that way because you - as a packer fan - are more sensitive to it. I'll bet you don't even notice the anti-bears or anti-lions stuff that resides or gets posted here.

    As for why we - as Viking fans - dedicate so much time and energy to ripping the Packers....well....that's an easy one.

    1: Green Bay is the closest geographic rival.

    It is much more fun - and much easier - to have a love/hate relationship with someone with whom you are likely to have contact on a semi-regular basis. For me, the Viking-Packer rivalry is the most significant because I live in Wisconsin and am surrounded by idiots....errr...Packer fans every day. Hells bells, I even MARRIED one.

    The smattering of Bears and Lions fans I run into isn't enough to keep the fires burning as intensely. And forget about non-NFCN teams.


    2: In the last 12 years, Green Bay has been the strongest rival.

    That should be taken as a compliment. While it in no way, shape, or form acknowledges any type of superiority over us, it does represent the fact that the packers have been "The Team to Beat" more often than not in the last 12 years. That being the case, it is far and away better to beat the better team than it is to hammer on the hapless Bears or the can't-quite-get-there Lions.

    Believe me, I took a LOT of crap when the Packers were riding high. I edured the Superbowl victory. I ground my teeth through the NFCN Titles. I took flak every single day from the hoardes of morons....errr...Packer fans that I came into contact with.

    Now....it's payback time. And, believe me, I plan to savor it.

    3: In spite of all evidence to the contrary, Packer fans always believe the best about their team.

    Moreso than any other fans in football, Packer fans (As a whole...with specific exceptions) seem to have the ability to completely disregard all the signs and indicators that their team is failing. They remind me of the old women who live in a house with 50 cats. The house is full of poop and cat-yak, but the old ladies are oblivious to it.

    I have stood - eyes wide in amazement - while Packer fans have LAUDED that abilities of players who wouldn't even make the starting roster of any other team.

    I have fallen over in shock while Packer fans have cheered the return of Favre for another year, certain that a Superbowl victory is now assured. (NOTE: This is NOT an exageration. They really DO believe they'll win the Superbowl this year).

    I have been left absolutely speechless by pie-in-the-sky Packer fans who believe - with absolute certainty - that their Defense will hold just long enough for Favre to win for them.

    And, finally, I have read post after post from Packer fans lauding their teams past accomplishments, somehow believeing that what they did in 1962 (The year they went 13-1) has some relative bearing to how they'll do THIS year **looks pointedly at ChokeJob**.

    Bears fans don't do this. Lions fans don't do this. only Packer fans. Adn, while I applaud their commitment, I secretly believe that some (many? Most?) of them should BE committed....to an asylum.

    So that, in a nut shell, is why we are the way we are. Add in the fact that since we are the newest NFCN team (Only starting in 1961 - 31 years after Detroit), we have been disregarded and disrespected for NOT having been around in 1920 (By the way...Green Bay didn't get in until 1921, so Chicago has you there).

    In the last 3 years, we've seen it comming. We've seen the Packers slip further and further down...clinging to respectability by their fingernails...while the Vikings steadily improved. And, we believe that THIS will be the year (Yeah, we believed that last year was too...and the year before...so what?). Sooner or later, your luck WILL run out. And when it does....



    STOP!! HAMMER TIME!!!

    Caine
    As usual, Caine, you do speak wisely. You do use about three times the words you need to say it, but there's not a lot to disagree with there. :lol:

    The Packers haven't had a losing season since 1991. Not only does that build resentment from the rest of the division (don't think I haven't forgotten how much I hated the Bears throughout the 80's), but it does build a sense of "we don't get beat, we can only beat ourselves" among Packer fans. (And, yes, I know that opened up a dozen masturbation comebacks :shock: )

    The proximity to each other, and unfortunately, the interbreeding that goes on makes things even more personal. :wink:

    I would take some exception to the thought that Packer fans are the ONLY fans that laud over undeserving players...there's quite a bit of that going around the NFC North. I'm sure if you asked some Lions fans, they are still glowing about Harrington and Charles Rogers, even though neither have done much. Grossman was to have been the final piece of the puzzle, but the poor kid can't stay healthy enough to play more than two games a season.

    There's some of that going around VikingVille, too, from Hovan to Campbell to Gus Frerotte last season. It's not a cut...any team places a lot of hope on all its players. You should see Packer fans and Aaron Rodgers. Poor kid hasn't played a regular season snap yet.

    And certainly, I don't expect to see the Packers continue the winning ways forever. It just doesn't happen, especially in today's NFL of free agency and salary caps. I expect the winning ways to stop shortly after Brett Favre retires, though. That will only add to his legend around here, when all the Favre bashers suddenly realize that guys who post efficiency ratings in the 80-90's every season and never miss a start for 13 years don't come around every day (just ask the Bears).

    But, thanks for acknowledging, Caine, in that there is that level of rivalry because of the proximity and the fact that the Packers HAVE BEEN (not necessarily "are") successful. Perhaps the tide shall change, but I have a feeling you'll have at least one more season of dealing with the Packers for the division title. After that, who knows. I'd hate (and in some ways, I think you guys would too) to see us completely out of the hunt, just like how boring it would be to not have the Vikes in the hunt with us.

    What's a rivalry about, hey?
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

    Welcome to the NFC North.

  3. #33
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

    "LosAngelis" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    The amount of specifically anti-Packer content on this site is far and away greater than the amount of anti-anyone else...that I grant you.

    HOWEVER,

    When taken as a percentage of the whole, it really isn't all that great. It just seems that way because you - as a packer fan - are more sensitive to it. I'll bet you don't even notice the anti-bears or anti-lions stuff that resides or gets posted here.

    As for why we - as Viking fans - dedicate so much time and energy to ripping the Packers....well....that's an easy one.

    1: Green Bay is the closest geographic rival.

    It is much more fun - and much easier - to have a love/hate relationship with someone with whom you are likely to have contact on a semi-regular basis. For me, the Viking-Packer rivalry is the most significant because I live in Wisconsin and am surrounded by idiots....errr...Packer fans every day. Hells bells, I even MARRIED one.

    The smattering of Bears and Lions fans I run into isn't enough to keep the fires burning as intensely. And forget about non-NFCN teams.


    2: In the last 12 years, Green Bay has been the strongest rival.

    That should be taken as a compliment. While it in no way, shape, or form acknowledges any type of superiority over us, it does represent the fact that the packers have been "The Team to Beat" more often than not in the last 12 years. That being the case, it is far and away better to beat the better team than it is to hammer on the hapless Bears or the can't-quite-get-there Lions.

    Believe me, I took a LOT of crap when the Packers were riding high. I edured the Superbowl victory. I ground my teeth through the NFCN Titles. I took flak every single day from the hoardes of morons....errr...Packer fans that I came into contact with.

    Now....it's payback time. And, believe me, I plan to savor it.

    3: In spite of all evidence to the contrary, Packer fans always believe the best about their team.

    Moreso than any other fans in football, Packer fans (As a whole...with specific exceptions) seem to have the ability to completely disregard all the signs and indicators that their team is failing. They remind me of the old women who live in a house with 50 cats. The house is full of poop and cat-yak, but the old ladies are oblivious to it.

    I have stood - eyes wide in amazement - while Packer fans have LAUDED that abilities of players who wouldn't even make the starting roster of any other team.

    I have fallen over in shock while Packer fans have cheered the return of Favre for another year, certain that a Superbowl victory is now assured. (NOTE: This is NOT an exageration. They really DO believe they'll win the Superbowl this year).

    I have been left absolutely speechless by pie-in-the-sky Packer fans who believe - with absolute certainty - that their Defense will hold just long enough for Favre to win for them.

    And, finally, I have read post after post from Packer fans lauding their teams past accomplishments, somehow believeing that what they did in 1962 (The year they went 13-1) has some relative bearing to how they'll do THIS year **looks pointedly at ChokeJob**.

    Bears fans don't do this. Lions fans don't do this. only Packer fans. Adn, while I applaud their commitment, I secretly believe that some (many? Most?) of them should BE committed....to an asylum.

    So that, in a nut shell, is why we are the way we are. Add in the fact that since we are the newest NFCN team (Only starting in 1961 - 31 years after Detroit), we have been disregarded and disrespected for NOT having been around in 1920 (By the way...Green Bay didn't get in until 1921, so Chicago has you there).

    In the last 3 years, we've seen it comming. We've seen the Packers slip further and further down...clinging to respectability by their fingernails...while the Vikings steadily improved. And, we believe that THIS will be the year (Yeah, we believed that last year was too...and the year before...so what?). Sooner or later, your luck WILL run out. And when it does....



    STOP!! HAMMER TIME!!!

    Caine
    As usual, Caine, you do speak wisely. You do use about three times the words you need to say it, but there's not a lot to disagree with there. :lol:

    The Packers haven't had a losing season since 1991. Not only does that build resentment from the rest of the division (don't think I haven't forgotten how much I hated the Bears throughout the 80's), but it does build a sense of "we don't get beat, we can only beat ourselves" among Packer fans. (And, yes, I know that opened up a dozen masturbation comebacks :shock: )

    The proximity to each other, and unfortunately, the interbreeding that goes on makes things even more personal. :wink:

    I would take some exception to the thought that Packer fans are the ONLY fans that laud over undeserving players...there's quite a bit of that going around the NFC North. I'm sure if you asked some Lions fans, they are still glowing about Harrington and Charles Rogers, even though neither have done much. Grossman was to have been the final piece of the puzzle, but the poor kid can't stay healthy enough to play more than two games a season.

    There's some of that going around VikingVille, too, from Hovan to Campbell to Gus Frerotte last season. It's not a cut...any team places a lot of hope on all its players. You should see Packer fans and Aaron Rodgers. Poor kid hasn't played a regular season snap yet.

    And certainly, I don't expect to see the Packers continue the winning ways forever. It just doesn't happen, especially in today's NFL of free agency and salary caps. I expect the winning ways to stop shortly after Brett Favre retires, though. That will only add to his legend around here, when all the Favre bashers suddenly realize that guys who post efficiency ratings in the 80-90's every season and never miss a start for 13 years don't come around every day (just ask the Bears).

    But, thanks for acknowledging, Caine, in that there is that level of rivalry because of the proximity and the fact that the Packers HAVE BEEN (not necessarily "are") successful. Perhaps the tide shall change, but I have a feeling you'll have at least one more season of dealing with the Packers for the division title. After that, who knows. I'd hate (and in some ways, I think you guys would too) to see us completely out of the hunt, just like how boring it would be to not have the Vikes in the hunt with us.

    What's a rivalry about, hey?
    Thank you for having some sense Los! THIS IS A RIVALRY! The NFL would just be plain boring without Vikings fans hating Packers fans and vice versa. :grin:

  4. #34
    fan4favre is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    256

    Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

    "gdavikes84" wrote:
    Farve lover....hello, you are in enemy territory...what do you expect? Love? Respect? A section dedicated to your worship of farve? Get bent. This place is about us, not the packers, farve or you. Who do you expect us to hate? Your the only ones who come over here spouting off about your past glory, and your sliding leader. I just wish you guys would come here with a point or a leg to stand on in your rants. I guess I just have more to do than go to your sites and tell you how bad you are, you say enough by coming here and making asses out of yourselves. Genius.....
    Here is a good example of the WRONG type of characters lurking within this board. You would do well to examine how Caine handles himself on this board. Intelligent responses filled with facts and statements that respond logically to a previous post.

    Never once did I somehow make a post claiming for a section dedicated to Favre. My past remarks made claims to a potential "obsession" around the Packers instead of a normal and equal focus on any other rival in the division.

    Any other board may have temporary threads dedicated to "smacking" around the opposition. Other boards may focus more so than not in any given time period on a division foe for various obvious reasons. But let me reiterate my point to you in more simple terms:

    "There is an obvious obsession directed at the Green Bay Packer organization more so here than any other fan site (NFC North or otherwise)!"

    In fact, no other NFL team fan site has this type of obsession for a particular rival. Does this create some loyalty for your fans and for your team? Perhaps and so be it. I am just making the obvious observation that it is a bit of an overkill and quite strange.

  5. #35
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

    "fan4favre" wrote:
    "There is an obvious obsession directed at the Green Bay Packer organization more so here than any other fan site (NFC North or otherwise)!"

    In fact, no other NFL team fan site has this type of obsession for a particular rival. Does this create some loyalty for your fans and for your team? Perhaps and so be it. I am just making the obvious observation that it is a bit of an overkill and quite strange.
    Take it as a compliment. After all, wouldn't you rather exist in a love-hate relationship with a quality Division Rival than to be ignored as beneath notice? Ask the Bears or the Lions about that. We don't bash them much because...well...we don't have to. They have stucnk for YEARS, there's really no point in us dwelling on it further.

    Green Bay is on that slippery slope downward. This, of course, is the worst nightmare of all Packer fans, but is a source of much rejoicing here. Why? Because you have been on - or near -the top for quite awhile. Once you take up residence in the cellar, we'll quite hammering on you...much like you would ignore us in the reverse situation.

    It's no fun picking on the helpless. You get no honor from beating up old people and disabled people. Many of the Indian tribes believed that the stronger your opponent, the more honor you gain - not just from beating him - but from the battle itself.

    The same is true here.

    I LOVE the fact that Favre stayed. I wouldn't want to beat you any other way. If we can crush you every time we play you while he remains active, it will PROVE that we are the better team on our own merits. If we wait until he leaves, we will forever hear, "Oh yeah? But when we had Favre...", much like it was when Starr retired.

    And, if we can put him out for a game or two, so much the better (NOTE: I do not want Favre -or anyone else (except maybe T-Hoe) to ever suffer a permanant injury of any kind). Why? Because WE will have unseated the iron man. WE will have toppled the idol.

    Deep down inside...beneath my Purple jersey...I have a deep and abiding respect of Brett Favre. For what he's done, and how he's done it. Even deeper....and much more difficult to find...there is a similar respect for the Packers. They have been our opponent, our nemesis, and our rival. I enjoy this rivalry more than any other for reasons I posted above.

    Los, we disagree on only one point. I believe the end of the Packer's era is NOW. I don't see how - with your talant level and current schedule - Green Bay will make that much of an impact. You will eclipse the Bears only because Grossman is out, and you may battle the Lions (If Harrington fails, once again, to get it together), but the reign of Favre is over.

    Now begins the PURPLE REIGN!!!

    The king is dead...long live the Vi-king!!!

    caine

  6. #36
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

    "fan4favre" wrote:
    "gdavikes84" wrote:
    Farve lover....hello, you are in enemy territory...what do you expect? Love? Respect? A section dedicated to your worship of farve? Get bent. This place is about us, not the packers, farve or you. Who do you expect us to hate? Your the only ones who come over here spouting off about your past glory, and your sliding leader. I just wish you guys would come here with a point or a leg to stand on in your rants. I guess I just have more to do than go to your sites and tell you how bad you are, you say enough by coming here and making asses out of yourselves. Genius.....
    Here is a good example of the WRONG type of characters lurking within this board. You would do well to examine how Caine handles himself on this board. Intelligent responses filled with facts and statements that respond logically to a previous post.
    Actually, take a look at your pals who come trolling here. People don't appreciate it and generally will have a bad attitude until you prove otherwise. They have learned to mistrust someone until they prove worthy of civil discourse, ie Los, and I think at times you. Such is life. You *are* in enemy territory, making generalizations about members and trying to tell us what you think we should be; you should expect a bit of response in multiple manners. Your expectations don't require members to modify their behavior.

    By the way, you should dress better and use more 6 syllable words. In this manner, we would then think you are a good participant on this board. Failing that, I feel you should pledge allegiance to the Vikings or else I think you are an example of the "wrong type of character" lurking on a Purplepride site.

    Just some suggestions since you seem disposed to make your own.

    Of course, its all tongue in cheek because noone with logical thinking believes they can form a large social group around a single ideal or requirement. There must be room for all types of expression. Of course, you may be a Psychology major who has a mystifying belief that all people should behave in a normalized spectrum of behavior and if they fail the subjective litmus test be given medication. I assume you love a gray, featureless landscape?

    Unless you're a communist. Which has yet to be seen. j/k

  7. #37
    SJHILL's Avatar
    SJHILL is offline Starter
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    252

    Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

    To put it simple: The Vikings will never be nationally respected, until they win a Super Bowl. The Vikings have the second most appearences in the playoffs since they have entered the league, but they NEED a title to shut up haters.

  8. #38
    Caine's Avatar
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,139

    Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

    "SJHILL" wrote:
    To put it simple: The Vikings will never be nationally respected, until they win a Super Bowl. The Vikings have the second most appearences in the playoffs since they have entered the league, but they NEED a title to shut up haters.
    Actually, I have a feeling it will be more like 3-4 Superbowl wins before we get any respect. Here's why:

    Win 1 - everyone points to the 4 losses. Green Bay fans will be clamoring about their 3-1 record versus our 1-4.

    Win 2 - Same as above...just a bit quieter.

    Win 3 - starting to taper off now...Packer fans (Still in the cellar) will still claim to have the same number of Superbowl victories.

    win 4 - Packer fans everywhere secretly paint the insides of their garages purple & white and have PPO t-shirts under their Packer jerseys.

    Now, if we can win 3 in a row, it speeds up the process. Since NO ONE has ever been able to do it, being the first would shut everyone up nicely.

    Of course, then we'd have to deal with Madden and ESPN slurping all over Culpepper (groan), and the hoard of bandwagon jumpers who can list 5 Viking players as long as they're all named Culpepper.

    Caine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Similar Threads

  1. What is your worst irrational fear?
    By shockzilla in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 05-20-2006, 12:12 AM
  2. Fear the big cats now..
    By DemonicViking in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 12:17 AM
  3. What i fear
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-20-2005, 03:14 PM
  4. My Fear
    By LosAngelis in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 09:07 AM
  5. I fear the Eagles...
    By RandyMoss8404 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 12:04 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •