Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    miakurtzy07 is offline Starter

Re: Fear and Loathing in Packer land

Nice Post Los. You've always got a good head on you.

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

How did we manage to turn the best site in football into the Dr. Phil show of whats wrong with the Packers? Who cares...we know they suck...and best of all ( and funniest)...they know they suck. Thats why their here! Are the Packer boards that bad, or you guys just addicted to our optimism? Get off the perverbial "viking sack".

fan4favre is offline Starter

"gdavikes84" wrote:
    How did we manage to turn the best site in football into the Dr. Phil show of whats wrong with the Packers? Who cares...we know they suck...and best of all ( and funniest)...they know they suck. Thats why their here! Are the Packer boards that bad, or you guys just addicted to our optimism? Get off the perverbial "viking sack".
    The plain truth is this is the only NFC North fan web site that obsesses about the Packers to the point that they decorate their website with demeaning Packer icons, "Warp a Packer", dedicate a forum to "Trash the Pack", etc. No other fan site has this. At times I feel changing the DNS entry to purplepride.org to allthingspackers.com may be more appropriate.

Why do Pack fans come here? It's a train wreck sometimes. Horrible to watch, but you just can't turn away.

It's sad really. There are some really decent Viking posters here who provide great insight to the game and have impressive input in every post. However, the aforementioned obsession also attracts the worst characters to this board as well (Vikings and Packer fans alike).

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Some of Packers fans that post here really confuse me. It seems that one second they are "calling the vikings their daddy" and the next second they are saying that the Packers are still a very good team and can win the division (that would be you chokejob).

Now fan4favre seems to have some sense in him considering that he can carry on a pleasant conversation about the vikings and packers without exploding and saying that the vikings have done nothing this offseason to improve. I do agree with Fan4favre about the fact that the Packers offense will not be lacking that much this year. If Favre plays the way he always has then the packers will still have a top 10 or top 5 offense. The only problem with the offense is the missing pieces of the offensive line. The offensive line of the packers will probably be a lot like the vikings offensive line this year only with a little less talent.

Now Fan4Favre I really don't agree with you about the Pack's defense. Jim Bates may be a good coordinator, but what he did in Miami will not exactly refelct what he will do in GB. The Packers really do not have a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball at all. their best defensive playter is arguably Nick Barnett. I seriously doubt that the Packers defense can be 20th in the league when they have basically no defensive backfield apart from Al Harris.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Don't hate that we have the talent to post original content and original things for fans to do to have fun with the rivalry. Why would we *want* to be just like every other site?

If it bothers you that a small portion of the site is anti-packer, then perhaps you should become a fan of figure skating. Brian Boitano, oh my!

Or go hang out at vikingssuck.com. Oh wait, no other fan site in the NFC dares to have a section dedicated to the rival. My bad. Now I really feel like an idiot. :roll:

Question: why do packer fans like you insist on being short sighted and full of "truths" that are no more than made up yammering around here?

Just having fun:
    Packer Radio

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I'm sorry but I don't see this obsession that you do fan4farve. 90-95% of the content on this webpage is viking related. We have one forum dedicated to trashing the Pack. Sure there are a few galleries and "Warp a Packer" games that you mention, but we also trash the Lions and Bears.

I'm not sure I understand what you expect, we will always be competing with the other NFC North teams, and thus, will always be trashing them. It just so happens that most of us dislike the Packers more.

Visiting Packerchatters and such, there are just as many Packer fans who post mindless responses that can be contrued as anti-vikings. Do you see us crying about it?

Maybe if you perused any of the other 10+ forums NOT dedicated to the PAckers you could see this yourself.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"webmaster" wrote:
    Don't hate that we have the talent to post original content and original things for fans to do to have fun with the rivalry. Why would we *want* to be just like every other site?
    I can appreciate original content. In fact, I would go out of my way to make the statement that this site should be realistically mimicked for it's informative home team information parsing content (and sleek design), that is lacking in other fan forum sites (minus the Packer obsession of course).

If it bothers you that a small portion of the site is anti-packer, then perhaps you should become a fan of figure skating. Brian Boitano, oh my!
    Small portion? Just opening up the home page alone is a telling fact that "small" would be realistic understatement.

Or go hang out at vikingssuck.com. Oh wait, no other fan site in the NFC dares to have a section dedicated to the rival. My bad. Now I really feel like an idiot. :roll:
    Don't even get me started about packerssuck.com. I purposefully left that out of my last post. You know exactly what I mean eh Webby? I should have clarified by stating no other "team fan site". Sorry for my oversight.

Question: why do packer fans like you insist on being short sighted and full of "truths" that are no more than made up yammering around here?
    Is that the best defense you can muster concerning an honest statement that were pretty much injected with obvious truths? For example, do Viking fans go to a home game against the Bears wearing anti-Packer emblems?

The Vikings are on the horizon of a promising future. Their fans would do well to dismiss an over obsession of a division rival and focus on their own potentially successful future.

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Better recheck, kiddo. I see very little packer related: to your point we have less and less anti-packer stuff on here because your franchise *is* becoming more and more irrelevant. You may have noticed that both in your attendance here and watching your bumbling hero fall out of grace.

We just keep the classic stuff because hating a redneck packer fan never goes out of style. In the end, you're still a packer fan: annoying in your arrogance, and full of delusions of grandure...all the tapes of this selected year and that, but sorely lacking the late 60s, 70s, and 80s, when the Pack were no more than an afterthought.

Get a state economy that relies on something other than blow up Favre dolls for Madden and stop polluting our Minnesota offices with your garbage and insolence and it will be less fun to make fun of you. Deal?

:smile:

Whatever, talk to you later this season.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

The amount of specifically anti-Packer content on this site is far and away greater than the amount of anti-anyone else...that I grant you.

HOWEVER,

When taken as a percentage of the whole, it really isn't all that great. It just seems that way because you - as a packer fan - are more sensitive to it. I'll bet you don't even notice the anti-bears or anti-lions stuff that resides or gets posted here.

As for why we - as Viking fans - dedicate so much time and energy to ripping the Packers....well....that's an easy one.

1: Green Bay is the closest geographic rival.

It is much more fun - and much easier - to have a love/hate relationship with someone with whom you are likely to have contact on a semi-regular basis. For me, the Viking-Packer rivalry is the most significant because I live in Wisconsin and am surrounded by idiots....errr...Packer fans every day. Hells bells, I even MARRIED one.

The smattering of Bears and Lions fans I run into isn't enough to keep the fires burning as intensely. And forget about non-NFCN teams.

2: In the last 12 years, Green Bay has been the strongest rival.

That should be taken as a compliment. While it in no way, shape, or form acknowledges any type of superiority over us, it does represent the fact that the packers have been "The Team to Beat" more often than not in the last 12 years. That being the case, it is far and away better to beat the better team than it is to hammer on the hapless Bears or the can't-quite-get-there Lions.

Believe me, I took a LOT of crap when the Packers were riding high. I edured the Superbowl victory. I ground my teeth through the NFCN Titles. I took flak every single day from the hoardes of morons....errr...Packer fans that I came into contact with.

Now....it's payback time. And, believe me, I plan to savor it.

3: In spite of all evidence to the contrary, Packer fans always believe the best about their team.

Moreso than any other fans in football, Packer fans (As a whole...with specific exceptions) seem to have the ability to completely disregard all the signs and indicators that their team is failing. They remind me of the old women who live in a house with 50 cats. The house is full of poop and cat-yak, but the old ladies are oblivious to it.

I have stood - eyes wide in amazement - while Packer fans have LAUDED that abilities of players who wouldn't even make the starting roster of any other team.

I have fallen over in shock while Packer fans have cheered the return of Favre for another year, certain that a Superbowl victory is now assured. (NOTE: This is NOT an exageration. They really DO believe they'll win the Superbowl this year).

I have been left absolutely speechless by pie-in-the-sky Packer fans who believe - with absolute certainty - that their Defense will hold just long enough for Favre to win for them.

And, finally, I have read post after post from Packer fans lauding their teams past accomplishments, somehow believeing that what they did in 1962 (The year they went 13-1) has some relative bearing to how they'll do THIS year **looks pointedly at ChokeJob**.

Bears fans don't do this. Lions fans don't do this. only Packer fans. Adn, while I applaud their commitment, I secretly believe that some (many? Most?) of them should BE committed....to an asylum.

So that, in a nut shell, is why we are the way we are. Add in the fact that since we are the newest NFCN team (Only starting in 1961 - 31 years after Detroit), we have been disregarded and disrespected for NOT having been around in 1920 (By the way...Green Bay didn't get in until 1921, so Chicago has you there).

In the last 3 years, we've seen it comming. We've seen the Packers slip further and further down...clinging to respectability by their fingernails...while the Vikings steadily improved. And, we believe that THIS will be the year (Yeah, we believed that last year was too...and the year before...so what?). Sooner or later, your luck WILL run out. And when it does....

STOP!! HAMMER TIME!!!

Caine

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I'm sorry but I don't see this obsession that you do fan4farve. 90-95% of the content on this webpage is viking related. We have one forum dedicated to trashing the Pack. Sure there are a few galleries and "Warp a Packer" games that you mention, but we also trash the Lions and Bears.
    Agreed. But there are no specific dedications to any other division rivals. All fan sites have threads that spew venom towards their rivals. That is the norm. But forum dedications, galleries, etc. on only one team are bordering on the obsessive. Webby is right, however, there has been a decrease on the front page of Packer bashing.

Visiting Packerchatters and such, there are just as many Packer fans who post mindless responses that can be contrued as anti-vikings. Do you see us crying about it?
    I fully expect many threads dedicated to bashing the Pack as well as threads on Packers sites dedicated to Viking bashing. I guess my fading point is perhaps if a forum section titled Lions, Packers, Bears something something...blah blah; would seem more normal vice the attention placed ONLY on the Packers? But in hindsight, I may not post here as much if that were the case. :smile:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast