Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired

FAVRE RETIRES!!!!!

Yes, it seems that Brett has decided to throw in the towel and move back to Mississippi. When asked about his post-football plans, Brett reportedly expressed interest in opening a pastry shop...

...specializing in turnovers.

Caine

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

Re: FAVRE RETIRES!!!!!

I have to admit that is a good one Caine.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Some more misleading threads...

People are board these days.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

LMAO Caine! That's great.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Posted on Thu, Feb. 02, 2006

[size=18px]It might be curtains for Favre's drama[/size]

BY MICHAEL HUNT
    Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

MILWAUKEE - Brett Favre has been a lot of things for a lot of years: superb quarterback, three-time MVP and Super Bowl champion, as well as an inspiration to many for the way he has faced personal crisis.

And for the last several years he has also become the American Hamlet - impulsive and rash on the football field, indecisive and hesitant off it - without the messy swordfight at the end.

It's the off-the-field stuff - the "to be or not to be" a Green Bay Packer - that continues to drive his followers a little batty. Almost every season since 2002 Favre has retreated to Mississippi to debate his future, sans soliloquy and holding a chainsaw instead of a skull, yet with all the drama of Shakespeare's vacillating Danish prince.

Favre is no Olivier - not that Sir Laurence could thread nickel coverage off the wrong foot - but he knows how to play an audience and keep it captive. Favre's latest wavering communique, delivered Sunday via an ESPN interview, offered little except for his usual philosophical two-mindedness.

Yet when Favre said he wasn't sure if he wanted the ball in crunch time anymore, that alarming statement right there should've been the puff of black smoke coming from the Lambeau Field chimney. If you're new coach Mike McCarthy, you take that as a sign of non-commitment, say thanks for the memories and get on with the enormous rebuilding job that is far bigger than any one person, No. 4 included.

But that wasn't McCarthy's public stance. He said he merely took it as an extension of Favre's ongoing mental wrangling, reiterated he wanted the guy back and was willing to let Favre work it out. But what else was McCarthy going to say? If you are a rookie head coach and the delicate topic is the all-eclipsing Brett Favre, there is no other position to take.

Yet the truth of the matter is that Favre once again has the organization handcuffed, which is not a good thing. As a future Hall of Famer and arguably the greatest player in the history of the franchise, Favre should be given time to make a decision - but not too much time. The Packers cannot again allow him to drag it out, because so much else - the development of Aaron Rodgers, the question of whether to draft another quarterback, the entire direction of the franchise itself - is dependant upon Favre's decision.

The Packers are playing it correctly by saying they want Favre to return, but if it's Rodgers' turn, then it's Rodgers' turn. They have to be pragmatic and somewhat detached not only because of the nature of the business, but because Favre himself has raised the issue of his own shaky self-confidence. Is he mentally prepared to endure another season like last year's? Does he again want to place himself in the position of trying to carry a team to the point that his competitive nature clouds his judgment? And do his poor 2005 numbers conclusively show that the decline is irreversible?

The guess here is that the Packers would like to commence rebuilding with a fresh start all the way around, but just as they refuse to admit they are in a rebuilding situation, they cannot say they want to move forward without Favre.

This has to be tiring for even Favre's staunchest supporters. Even Hamlet eventually made a call. If Favre truly doubts himself, it's time for the sweet prince to say goodnight.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

At this point in his career, I can only hope that Favre comes back and drags on his retirement party as looooonnnnnnggggg as possible. By not giving a decision, he is screwing the team into waiting, and they can't do anything until his decision.

And if he comes back, that would be awesome. There is no doubt that he is a shadow of the player he once was, and yet he'll be earning the same kind of money as a Culpepper or a Vick. Add that to the fact that the Packers are already having cap problems, and him coming back could be the best thing that could happen to the Vikings season. He'll come back, screw the Packers cap up, and throw 20 INT's again.

Chalk up 2 wins for the Vikings.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I kind of hope he stays around just to hand us some more games... :twisted:
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    .... There is no doubt that he is a shadow of the player he once was, and yet he'll be earning the same kind of money as a Culpepper or a Vick. Add that to the fact that the Packers are already having cap problems, and him coming back could be the best thing that could happen to the Vikings season. He'll come back, screw the Packers cap up, and throw 20 INT's again....
    I believe his contract is so back loaded, GB will be paying him money even after he's gone.

Anyone know the specifics?

Where's Los Angelis when you need him?

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

No I want him to come back so he can set the record for career interceptions. He only needs to average 1.5 picks per game to set the record so he is a shoe-in for sure.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

WBLVikeBabe is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingstw" wrote:
    Some more misleading threads...

People are board these days.
    I've come to realize with these threads that if the title is in caps lock and if I'm thinking to myself holy crap or oh my gosh etc. it's usually misleading.

[move]My beautiful sig made by the one and only PPE![/move]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast