Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Even Washington is praising Brett!

Glad to see him recognized for the charity work, but for setting the record, hmmm they must have to much time on their hands.

"Press Gazette" wrote:
    House passes resolution praising Favre

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071010/GPG0101/710100683/1989

By Ellyn Ferguson
    Press-Gazette Washington bureau
    eferguson @ greenbaypressgazette.com

WASHINGTON -- By voice vote today, the House passed a resolution honoring Green Bay Packers' quarterback Brett Favre for his charitable works and for setting the National Football League's record for career touchdown passes.

"Today, the United States House of Representatives offers this praise to Brett Favre, to his family, to the Green Bay Packers and to the people of Wisconsin, who together own the most storied team in professional sports," said Rep. Steve Kagen, an Appleton Democrat whose district includes Lambeau Field.

Kagen said the work ethic of Favre and the Packers shows the nation it is "not how far you fall but how high you bounce back."

Rep. Mark Souder, R-Ind., jokingly said he hoped the resolution does not distract Favre "because he's my starting quarterback this weekend (for my fantasy team) and I need a lot of points."

But Souder called Favre "a man who has always been ahead of his time."

"Could he win his second Super Bowl? America's Cheeseheads hope so," Souder said. "For those of us who are Colts fans, we hope he does well in the final game, but doesn't win."

Kagen's measure had 68 House co-sponsors, including the Wisconsin delegation of five Democrats and three Republicans, signing on as sponsors for his Favre resolution. All four House members from Favre's home state of Mississippi also were among the co-sponsors, as was North Carolina Rep. Heath Shuler, a former quarterback for the New Orleans Saints and the Washington Redskins.

The resolution is the congressional equivalent of a verbal pat on the back just in time for Favre and the Packers' weekend game against Washington in Green Bay.

This is not the first time Congress has honored Favre.

In January 1996, Mississippi's Republican senators teamed with Wisconsin's Democratic Sens. Herb Kohl and Russ Feingold to have the Senate pass a resolution honoring Favre for winning the NFL's most valuable player award.

What the resolution says

House Resolution 697 by Rep. Steve Kagen recognizes Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre for his work on and off the football field. The House is expected to pass the sense of the measure today or Wednesday. The resolution reads as follows:

Commending Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre for establishing a National Football League record for most career touchdown passes, and for other purposes.

Whereas on September 30, 2007, Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre established a National Football League (NFL) record by throwing his 421st touchdown pass;

Whereas in addition to the career touchdown mark, Brett Favre also holds the NFL record for greatest number of wins by a starting quarterback and the NFL record for playing in the most consecutive games as a starting quarterback;

Whereas Brett Favre is the only 3-time winner of the NFL's Most Valuable Player Award;

Whereas Brett Favre's 16 consecutive years of dedicated service with the Green Bay Packers has enhanced the lives of the people of Northeast Wisconsin and exemplified the Wisconsin work ethic;

Whereas Brett Favre's contributions to his community have extended beyond the football field;

Whereas Brett Favre was born in Gulf Port, Mississippi, was raised in Kiln, Mississippi, and attended the University of Southern Mississippi;

Whereas Brett Favre's loyalties to his home State of Mississippi and adopted State of Wisconsin are reflected in his participation in and organization of numerous charitable activities in those States, including the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation, the Special Olympics, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and the Boys and Girls Clubs of America;

Whereas the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation aids disadvantaged children in Wisconsin and Mississippi and has raised more than $1,000,000 for people affected by Hurricane Katrina in Mississippi;

Whereas Brett Favre and his wife, Deanna Favre, co-founded the Deanna Favre Hope Foundation, which provides assistance to women in need affected by breast cancer; and

Whereas Brett Favre has demonstrated that hard work and single-mindedness of purpose can bring success, and epitomizes the words of NFL Hall of Fame Coach Vince Lombardi: `People who work together will win, whether it be against complex football defenses, or the problems of modern society.'

Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives

(1) commends Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre for establishing a National Football League record for most career touchdown passes;

(2) recognizes Brett Favre for his outstanding community service in Wisconsin and Mississippi and his 16 consecutive years of dedicated service with the Green Bay Packers, a community-owned organization; and

(3) directs the Clerk of the House of Representatives to transmit a copy of this resolution to Brett Favre, to the Green Bay Packers organization, and to the Commissioner of the National Football League.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Even Washington is praising Brett!

The delegates from Minnesota, Illinois, and Michigan will be co-sponsoring a bill commemorating the accomplisments of Favre in surpassing George Blanda's career interception record after this weekend.

....which will, appropriately, happen as they play Washington.

I wonder if any of the local fans are upset about all those people in their city honoring the guy they're about to play this week?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Saw this on Put Up Your Dukes yesterday.

http://www.beverlyfamilyfoundation.org/about.htm

This guy retired from the NFL when his wife was diagnosed for the 3rd time.

Not as big of a name and Favre but the guy does know what is important to him, family!

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Saw this on Put Up Your Dukes yesterday.

http://www.beverlyfamilyfoundation.org/about.htm

This guy retired from the NFL when his wife was diagnosed for the 3rd time.

Not as big of a name and Favre but the guy does know what is important to him, family!
    I remember him from his days with the Lions, my hats off to the guy for knowing what is right and sticking to it.

I can't remember the figure that Brett gave in the Katrina ordeal, but it was a huge sum of money and effort that he and other NFL players put forth.

"josdin00" wrote:
    The delegates from Minnesota, Illinois, and Michigan will be co-sponsoring a bill commemorating the accomplisments of Favre in surpassing George Blanda's career interception record after this weekend.

I wonder if any of the local fans are upset about all those people in their city honoring the guy they're about to play this week?
    Hey, did a quick comparison with Brett's picks vs Vikings over the same time period... pretty close numbers. I wonder if we can honor Red and Wilf for the constant turnover in QB's over the years.
    ;D

Viking picks by year.
    1992 18
    1993 18
    1994 18
    1995 16
    1996 19
    1997 16
    1998 16
    1999 21
    2000 18
    2001 23
    2002 23
    2003 13
    2004 12
    2005 16
    2006 20
    2007 6
    Total 273

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"pack93z" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

Hey, did a quick comparison with Brett's picks vs Vikings over the same time period... pretty close numbers. I wonder if we can honor Red and Wilf for the constant turnover in QB's over the years.
    ;D

Viking picks by year.
    1992 18
    1993 18
    1994 18
    1995 16
    1996 19
    1997 16
    1998 16
    1999 21
    2000 18
    2001 23
    2002 23
    2003 13
    2004 12
    2005 16
    2006 20
    2007 6
    Total 273
    Just scrambling for excuses now, eh?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"pack93z" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:

;D

Viking picks by year.
    1992 18
    1993 18
    1994 18
    1995 16
    1996 19
    1997 16
    1998 16
    1999 21
    2000 18
    2001 23
    2002 23
    2003 13
    2004 12
    2005 16
    2006 20
    2007 6
    Total 273
    No, no, no. That was a team effort by a bunch of QBs. Brett Favre was able to give the ball away that many times all by himself. That deserves official recognition.

"C" wrote:
    How is that, you had one of the most talented wides in NFL history for a couple of those years in there.. and collectively you are 4 picks behind.. yep that is scrambling.

Like I said, I will take the good with the bad in terms of Brett. Maybe take a peak at the winning percentage while Brett has been the QB vs any of the other teams in the north.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"pack93z" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    How is that, you had one of the most talented wides in NFL history for a couple of those years in there.. and collectively you are 4 picks behind.. yep that is scrambling.

Like I said, I will take the good with the bad in terms of Brett. Maybe take a peak at the winning percentage while Brett has been the QB vs any of the other teams in the north.
    *Yawn*

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

gr8vike is offline Asst. Coach

Wow, arent we at war? and are legislators are voting to honor a football player. I hate our government. They have to have better things to do then vote on a resolution for this.

Thanks PPE for the Sig

Fighting on the Internet is like competing in the Special Olympics, even if you win, you are still mentally challenged!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast