Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55
  1. #21
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    No doubt. You would think that Favre would keep the arm strength and lose the INTs.

    I mean, I compare Favre to Elway, because in some ways, they are similar: roll-out, 'take the game on my shoulders' kind of QBs, who liked the post pattern deep ball, and who had horrendous arm strength.

    The only difference for me: Elway's decision-making was about a zillion times better. His ability to manage a drive and be a team player without blowing up the drive and the team were far superior to Favre's. Also, we all knew how tough John Elway was, without constantly having to hear about it again and again...

    Plus, let's do the math (for those of us counting rings): 2 rings to 1...

  2. #22
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    No doubt. You would think that Favre would keep the arm strength and lose the INTs.

    I mean, I compare Favre to Elway, because in some ways, they are similar: roll-out, 'take the game on my shoulders' kind of QBs, who liked the post pattern deep ball, and who had horrendous arm strength.

    The only difference for me: Elway's decision-making was about a zillion times better. His ability to manage a drive and be a team player without blowing up the drive and the team were far superior to Favre's. Also, we all knew how tough John Elway was, without constantly having to hear about it again and again...

    Plus, let's do the math (for those of us counting rings): 2 rings to 1...
    While I agree with what you say...I don't like to bring the ring argument into any discussion...for obvious reasons.

  3. #23
    jonnyb is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    125

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    No doubt. You would think that Favre would keep the arm strength and lose the INTs.

    I mean, I compare Favre to Elway, because in some ways, they are similar: roll-out, 'take the game on my shoulders' kind of QBs, who liked the post pattern deep ball, and who had horrendous arm strength.

    The only difference for me: Elway's decision-making was about a zillion times better. His ability to manage a drive and be a team player without blowing up the drive and the team were far superior to Favre's. Also, we all knew how tough John Elway was, without constantly having to hear about it again and again...

    Plus, let's do the math (for those of us counting rings): 2 rings to 1...
    While I agree with what you say...I don't like to bring the ring argument into any discussion...for obvious reasons.



    I can hear that. But at the same time won't it be fun to throw the ring thing at the pack fans when the greatest qb convo comes up? I can see it now.
    Packer Fan: Favre is the Greatest!
    Vikes Fan (playing the part usually played by a pack fan): Really? How many rings did he win?

    This could be great.

  4. #24
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    "jonnyb" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    No doubt. You would think that Favre would keep the arm strength and lose the INTs.

    I mean, I compare Favre to Elway, because in some ways, they are similar: roll-out, 'take the game on my shoulders' kind of QBs, who liked the post pattern deep ball, and who had horrendous arm strength.

    The only difference for me: Elway's decision-making was about a zillion times better. His ability to manage a drive and be a team player without blowing up the drive and the team were far superior to Favre's. Also, we all knew how tough John Elway was, without constantly having to hear about it again and again...

    Plus, let's do the math (for those of us counting rings): 2 rings to 1...
    While I agree with what you say...I don't like to bring the ring argument into any discussion...for obvious reasons.




    I can hear that. But at the same time won't it be fun to throw the ring thing at the pack fans when the greatest qb convo comes up? I can see it now. Packer Fan: Favre is the Greatest!
    Vikes Fan (playing the part usually played by a pack fan): Really? How many rings did he win?

    This could be great.
    You know what?
    I think your on to something here.
    I guess I never looked at it from that perspective...
    I can't wait to throw that back into the face of the next GB fan I start arguing with.
    ;D

  5. #25
    benjamite is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    46

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    Favre was overrated. He was only good becuase he had Robert Ferguson.
    wamp wamp.

  6. #26
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    I am a hater through and through so there will be no pity party from me on his retirement. I wish it had happened years ago and I hope I never have to see him ever play again. I am also preparing my thumb to be able to change the channel at a moments notice next year when the inevitable farve ramble happens during every pause in every game next year..

    Was he the greatest? That depends. He was the greatest marketing campaign the NFL has had in a generation and he certainly provided plenty of fill for the sports stations every year when talking heads contemplated his retirement. But ask the greatest WR's of the game if they would rather run a route for Farve or for manning, Brady, Young, Marino, Aikman etc and he would not be on the top of the list. His arm was strong and he was confident he could put the ball into any little zone he wanted
    and often did at the expense of his Wr's who would instantly get laid out by a defender. It made for good TV but didn't make for long careers for the people he was throwing to.

    aw crap, I already wasted way more bandwidth on him that I want to.

  7. #27
    StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,255

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    In my view, great QBs throw EVERY ball, and not just the slant and the deep ball.

  8. #28
    Schutz's Avatar
    Schutz is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,719

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    No doubt. You would think that Favre would keep the arm strength and lose the INTs.

    I mean, I compare Favre to Elway, because in some ways, they are similar: roll-out, 'take the game on my shoulders' kind of QBs, who liked the post pattern deep ball, and who had horrendous arm strength.

    The only difference for me: Elway's decision-making was about a zillion times better. His ability to manage a drive and be a team player without blowing up the drive and the team were far superior to Favre's. Also, we all knew how tough John Elway was, without constantly having to hear about it again and again...

    Plus, let's do the math (for those of us counting rings): 2 rings to 1...
    Wait, which way do you want it?
    In an earlier post you were saying that Favre couldn't find a way to repeat his superbowl win so he was a bad QB, then you were saying that QBs like Dan Marino who didn't win a SB ring(which if Favre was bad for only winning one Marino must be on T-Jack's level) are better than Favre, so rings don't matter.
    But now you say rings do matter when it involved comparing other QBs to Favre.
    Strange.

    Favre is a top 5 all time QB, first ballot HoFer, and the definition of iron man football.
    You may have some sort of man hate for who he is, but that doesn't change the fact that he holds a crap load of records, won a superbowl, and like I said is a top 5 QB.

  9. #29
    vikesfan464 is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    3

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    If super bowl rings are the deciding factor of best qb of all time is i guess you have to put terry bradshaw in there with four.
    Career stats of 212 tds and 210 ints.
    I can not believe i am reading this.
    I am a big vikings fan but you cant take away what favre has done.
    This is crazy give him his credit and move on.
    the only thing i wish is that we where smart enough to ship our first round pick to the falcons for him.....
    and by the way favre has a better td to interception ratio than elway.
    get stats before you ramble thanks....

  10. #30
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,304

    Re: ESPN Analyst tears into Favre

    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Some points I would like to make at this juncture:

    a. Yes, Favre will un-retire and be back (and we are all fools for wasting time on him, and that includes me).
    :
    b. Maybe not on Green Bay (I heard Jets ?!)
    :
    c. Yes, the man is tough and gritty and all that
    d. Yes, he threw WAY too many picks and made bad decisions mostly
    e. One ring doesn't make you Johnny Unitas
    f. There are tons of QBs who were better, who had no ring (Archie Manning, Dan Fouts, Tarkenton, Marino [would you rather have Marino or Favre in the Super Bowl, on a critical drive ???).

    I maybe am the only one who didn't get "choked up" when Favre's dad died. Sorry. I was for the Raiders that night. Not that I don't think Favre was cool to play on that day. For once, he put team above Nr. 4. But I just can't root for the man.

    I still don't get what is so "special" about him. Yes, he is tough. But so are almost all NFL players. So he has stubble on his face (so do I). So he drives a lawn mower on his yard in the Bayou. So what ? He threw for zillions of yards. So did Jim Hart, but we are not falling over ourselves about him, or about guys like Ken Anderson (the Bengals QB who threw for like 10 billion yards). I just don't get it. Yes, Lambeau is kind of cool, but I just don't get this whole Favre mystique thing, and I don't think I ever will. There are some things in life which just defy explanations.
    I did not even finish the read ... ARCHIE MANNING? ARE you FRICKIN KIDDING ME! Dan Fouts? And what exactly did Marino, Fouts, Manning or even Tark do better than Brett Favre? Look it takes two seconds to go to pro-football-reference.com and look all of these guys up. Maybe Marino is a fair argument ... and I love my boy Tark ... but Fouts and Manning are not even close to in the same league as Farve ... and really ... neither is Tark.
    Jesus, just finished reading it ... by the way JIM HART and KEN ANDERSON threw for a COMBINED 5,000 more yards than Brett Favre. Neither one is a HOFer (though Anderson maybe should be) and neither is in the top 15 all time in yardage. They also are not in Brett Favre's league. Please ... it only take two seconds to look this stuff up ...
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. ESPN.com poll of the night. What to do with Favre
    By Turboe in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 11:01 PM
  2. ESPN fires baseball analyst Reynolds
    By Vikes in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-27-2006, 03:55 AM
  3. Brett Favre on ESPN Radio
    By Vikes in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 06:53 AM
  4. Favorite ESPN analyst
    By sdvikefan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-07-2005, 03:23 AM
  5. seeing Favre on the verge of tears....
    By ADubya26 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 08:48 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •