Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Comments from PackersNews.com on Jared Allen

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Couple that I agree with.

Clifty will be able to handle him."
    JA had 3 total tackles, .5 sacks against the PUKERS last year.
    He will eat up the other Tackles in the div though but against the PUKERS I suspect he might be kept quiet a bit.

By the way, standby for the naysayers to come out week one if that happens.

"Maybe on the Packers Allen would be all that but we're talkin' about the Vikings. They don't have the tackle rotation or the bookend. Pat Williams comes out on passing downs.
    Like it or not, we need to get better at the DT position.
    Kevin and Pat wore down last year towards the end of the season.

My guess, that is the reason we saw such an emphasis on DT's in FA and took one in the draft when no one thought we needed one.
    Rodgers or Brohm will take twice as long to get rid of the ball as Favre. Not to mention they wont spectacularly make a guy miss and make an amazing yet unconventional throw. How many games did Favre carry the packers on his back last year? All of them.
    I agree with your point, but how does Favre's play account for the lack of tackles?

Again, I believe he will eat up the Lions and Bears T's but he will not have a free ride against the PUKERS T's regardless of who is behind center.
    Favre would help take away tackles in two ways. First off the packers threw a hell of a lot more with Favre than they would with anyone else, not giving JA the opportunity. And two, I'd say (sarcastically) that 80% of the time the packers ran last year it was misdirection in a spread offense. Hard for a DE to track down a pump fake, hand off, run to the outside.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

If you add up the grand total of Super Bowls won by Jared Allen and other recent Vikings aditions Bernard Berrian, Madeu Williams, Michael Boulware, Steve Hutchinson, Darren Sharper, Ryan Longwell, Gus Frerrotte it comes to a grand total of Zero. If they couldn't get it done in other places, many times in more favorable situations, why do Minnesota fans think it'll be any different for them?
    The usual illogical argument, super bowls won.

We all know that safeties, guards, kickers, and backup QBs make Super Bowl championship teams what they are.

That might be the stupidest post I've ever seen, on any boards, ever.

IwearSox21 is offline Training Camp

"shockzilla" wrote:
    I just had to check out their forums and see what they thought about the Jared Allen signing, and the Vikes in general. Here are some examples:

"If you add up the grand total of Super Bowls won by Jared Allen and other recent Vikings aditions Bernard Berrian, Madeu Williams, Michael Boulware, Steve Hutchinson, Darren Sharper, Ryan Longwell, Gus Frerrotte it comes to a grand total of Zero. If they couldn't get it done in other places, many times in more favorable situations, why do Minnesota fans think it'll be any different for them? The Vikes had like 7 players in the Pro Bowl last season and didn't make the playoffs or even finish with a winning record.
    So much for trying to buy your way in. Just ask Dan Snyder about that approach."

There are lots more but you get the idea.

What does superbowls have to do with it. How many superbowls did Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth, and Adalius Thomas have combined 0. They got the pats to a superbowl(I know they didnt win but thats not the point) and it shows how much WR's can help a QB. Brady's rating went from 87.9 to 117.2. And for the giants big off-season acquisitions of the past couple years, Reuben Droughns, Plaxico Burress, R.W. McQuarters, and Antonio Pierce. I believe they also had 0. Superbowls doesn't matter for free-agency. Remember Jery Rice he had four superbowls and went to the raiders they didnt win any superbowls.

IwearSox21 is offline Training Camp

"IwearSox21" wrote:
    "shockzilla" wrote:
    I just had to check out their forums and see what they thought about the Jared Allen signing, and the Vikes in general. Here are some examples:

"If you add up the grand total of Super Bowls won by Jared Allen and other recent Vikings aditions Bernard Berrian, Madeu Williams, Michael Boulware, Steve Hutchinson, Darren Sharper, Ryan Longwell, Gus Frerrotte it comes to a grand total of Zero. If they couldn't get it done in other places, many times in more favorable situations, why do Minnesota fans think it'll be any different for them? The Vikes had like 7 players in the Pro Bowl last season and didn't make the playoffs or even finish with a winning record.
    So much for trying to buy your way in. Just ask Dan Snyder about that approach."

There are lots more but you get the idea.

What does superbowls have to do with it. How many superbowls did Randy Moss, Wes Welker, Donte Stallworth, and Adalius Thomas have combined 0. They got the pats to a superbowl(I know they didnt win but thats not the point) and it shows how much WR's can help a QB. Brady's rating went from 87.9 to 117.2. And for the giants big off-season acquisitions of the past couple years, Reuben Droughns, Plaxico Burress, R.W. McQuarters, and Antonio Pierce. I believe they also had 0. Superbowls doesn't matter for free-agency. Remember Jery Rice he had four superbowls and went to the raiders they didnt win any superbowls.
    that also must mean that raiders are going to win the superbowl because they got Gibril Wilson, he has a superbowl. So raider fans book your tickets to tampa today.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

u guys are complaining about packers fans who are complaining about Jared Allen, why waste your time? Its not like they care what we think about them

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Maybe on the Packers Allen would be all that but we're talkin' about the Vikings. They don't have the tackle rotation or the bookend. Pat Williams comes out on passing downs. I'm just saying I don't see Jared Allen becoming a Viking being the move that shifts the balance of power in the division that much."
    What makes them think their defensive tackles are good? Honestly, who do they have? Cullen Jenkins, they lost Corey Williams to Cleveland, Justin Harrell did ABSOLUTELY nothing as a rookie.

They have one very good player on their defensive line, the best are mediocre. And that's not coming from hometeam shaded
    glasses like these Packer posts are, it's really absurd to say their D-line is better in any regard than ours is with the acquisition of Jared Allen.

I can see where the poster is coming from with already having a bookend DE in Aaron Kampmann, but does he realize just how many blocks the interior of our D-line draws? You can't afford not to commit two people to Kevin Williams at all times, and on running plays the same must be done for Pat. We have two young, explosive defensive ends in Brian Robison and Ray Edwards that will be playing opposite of Edwards, as well as god willing(for seasons beyond 2008) Kenechi Udeze to give us an unbelievable defensive end rotation.

If Wymms and/or Guion pan out, we should have a pretty deep set of DTs as well.

And as far as other posters from there saying Jackson is in fact experienced, but has just done nothing, they're wrong. He's only started 14 games in his career. That's less that a full season, I know for a fact he's not going to be a Peyton Manning type guy, but that's not what we need, we need a Ben Roethlisberger, or an Eli Manning, someone who's not going to put up huge numbers, but will do enough to win games. All he needs to do is complete passes, a few deep ones per game won't hurt, and let our RB tandem of Peterson(not Pederson) and Taylor do their jobs, and we will be a great team.

Again, no purple glasses on when writing that post.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

This is my favorite comment.

"Wasn't Allen a non factor in the KC game last year? If it's true, I say go for it. Dump those 1st and 2nd rounders, and all that money for him"
    Why is he asking if he was a factor? Does this so called fan not even watch the games? We are not KC, Allen will now be lining up next to two pro bowl DTs! Be afraid, be very afraid.

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"If you add up the grand total of Super Bowls won by Jared Allen and other recent Vikings aditions Bernard Berrian, Madeu Williams, Michael Boulware, Steve Hutchinson, Darren Sharper, Ryan Longwell, Gus Frerrotte it comes to a grand total of Zero. If they couldn't get it done in other places, many times in more favorable situations, why do Minnesota fans think it'll be any different for them? The Vikes had like 7 players in the Pro Bowl last season and didn't make the playoffs or even finish with a winning record."
    lmao...just like IwearSox said, what does this have to do with anything?
    So because these players haven't won a super bowl, they can't make an impact on our team getting there? rediculous...LOL, that guy has absolutely no argument IMO...

...He/She throws Sharper's name in there...I'm sure their case for him would be different if he was still a Packer, obvisouly he's not in his prime anymore, but he's still a good player, these player opinions are simply based on the fact they play for the Vikings...as are many other comments Shock posted...

He's right, we did have a lot of Pro Bowlers last season...What kind of argument is that? the Pro Bowl means absolutely nothing!
    The fans vote the players in, and, in a lot of cases, they get in by their name, not from having an outstanding season...Darren Sharper is one example, good player, but there are others in his position that had far better seasons...

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"shockzilla" wrote:
    Here's one more:

"No.
    The Vikings will not be very good.
    I hope they give up a TON of draft picks for Allen.
    He's one guy. With one really good year under his belt.
    Perfect.
    That team's needs go way beyond Allen.
    To start:
    The majority of their off season pickups are defensive players. As history has shown, it takes at least 1 season for them to cohesively play as a unit. At best, they may come together at the END of the '08 season. NOT WORRIED.
    On offense, they have a proven player at the QB position. He's been the starter for two years and has really done nothing. This goes against all those that say he is un proven. If the 'Queens pick up Allen, where are they going to get a QB?
    Yes, Pederson is a fine running back. Though, remember that last year, all his yards came from running off only one side of the line. They haven't fixed that as far as I can see. Plus their All-Pro center is old, pissed and ready for another hernia.
    Berrian? HA HA HA HA....
    One OK receiver does not a passing game make. He'll continue to drop balls as always.
    Rice? I would call a sophomore slump if he had done anything.
    In all aspects, I LOVE what the "Queens" are doing!
    Following the blueprint of Washington that has gotten them nowhere!"
    I hope they give up a TON of draft picks for Allen.
    He's one guy.
    We gave up 3 draft picks for Allen...the best defensive end in the league last year with only 14 games, so what are the chances that any of those three players ever reach that point in their career?

On offense, they have a proven player at the QB position. He's been the starter for two years and has really done nothing.
    Tjack starter for 2 seasons? I believe you mean 14 games...

Yes, Pederson is a fine running back.
    Who the hell is Pederson?

Plus their All-Pro center is old, pissed and ready for another hernia.
    Birk will be back for atleast 1 more season...

Berrian? HA HA HA HA....
    One OK receiver does not a passing game make.
    Berrian...that receiver that got 900+ yards last season with Rex Grossman at the helm?!
    (We have TJack, but I think we can all agree thats an improvement over Grossman) He's right 1 receiver doesn't make a passing game, but with Berrian and Rice, Wade in the slot, Allison improving...I'd say that's pretty decent...

Rice? I would call a sophomore slump if he had done anything.
    Can't argue with that logic... :

In all aspects, I LOVE what the "Queens" are doing!
    What a coincidence! I love what the "Queens" are doing, too!
    Let's just see how appropriate that nickname is after the season...

Following the blueprint of Washington that has gotten them nowhere!"
    How the hell are we following Washington's blue print? Where'd he get this crap from? The only similarity I can think of is that we both have young QBs, I don't know then....If we're following Washington's blue print, we sure are doing a hell of a better job at their own game than they are...

NOT WORRIED
    You should be...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"If you add up the grand total of Super Bowls won by Jared Allen and other recent Vikings aditions Bernard Berrian, Madeu Williams, Michael Boulware, Steve Hutchinson, Darren Sharper, Ryan Longwell, Gus Frerrotte it comes to a grand total of Zero. If they couldn't get it done in other places, many times in more favorable situations, why do Minnesota fans think it'll be any different for them? The Vikes had like 7 players in the Pro Bowl last season and didn't make the playoffs or even finish with a winning record."
    And if you take the Packers current roster & offseason additions, how many Super Bowl wins does that add up to?

Me thinks a grand total of 0.

So why do Packer fans think they are going to be better than the Vikings without Favre, the leader of the flock?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast