Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Comments from PackersNews.com on Jared Allen

I just had to check out their forums and see what they thought about the Jared Allen signing, and the Vikes in general. Here are some examples:

"Allen will be another overpaid underperforming player. Their salary cap is a mess and their not that good. QB is going to kill them."

(regarding the deal): "I've been hearing both a 1st and 2nd? Plus the salary. My gosh. You NEVER put that much in one player. I'd love to have him but he's not THAT worth it. Clifty will be able to handle him."

"Pundits will put them in the SB again and will put both feet in thier mouths come the bye."

"Vikings in the Super Bowl--no way."

(Here's a positive one - from our point of view):"I don't think this is a positive development for the Packers. I don't want to play against him for the next five years. Jared Allen is a Blue player, regarded by many to be the best defensive end in the NFL. The guy had 15.5 sacks last year. This is a move TT (Ted Thompson, I assume) should haave made IMO. Adding Allen would allow the Packers to move Jenkins back to DT. What would have made Allen great to add to the Packers is we would have improved in two positions on the DL. Adding Allen would allow the Pack to move Jenkins inside, which would provide for an excellent rotation. Big TT supporter, but I think he dropped the ball on this one."

"Wasn't Allen a non factor in the KC game last year? If it's true, I say go for it. Dump those 1st and 2nd rounders, and all that money for him"

"For being such a milquetoast state (no carry-outs on Sunday, 3.2 grocery store beer, 1 A.M. cut-off) when it comes to alcohol laws, it sure seems that sauce snares many queens with its evil tentacles--the Love Boat, KR, Dewight Smith, Tommy Kramer, Carl Eller. WELCOME, Jared Allen! Ever been to a meat raffle?"

(Another good one):"That Viking D-Line may be the best in the league with Allen there. Jared Allen DE, Kevin Williams DT, Pat Williams DT, Kenechi Udeze or Brian Robison DE. Teams are going to have trouble running on that. Good thing we have a passing game with Driver and Jennings aside from Grant."

"If you add up the grand total of Super Bowls won by Jared Allen and other recent Vikings aditions Bernard Berrian, Madeu Williams, Michael Boulware, Steve Hutchinson, Darren Sharper, Ryan Longwell, Gus Frerrotte it comes to a grand total of Zero. If they couldn't get it done in other places, many times in more favorable situations, why do Minnesota fans think it'll be any different for them? The Vikes had like 7 players in the Pro Bowl last season and didn't make the playoffs or even finish with a winning record.
    So much for trying to buy your way in. Just ask Dan Snyder about that approach."

"Not good news for the pack. It will be easy to imagine many reporters and analysts picking Minn to win the division..."

"True enough about the Queens choking, year after year. And I expect the same this year. But, if you've not seen much of Allen, this guy is a player. He is a Kampman, with more energy. OTs have their hands full every single play. Saying he will take the money to do nothing speaks more to people's ignorance toward him than his performance."

"Allen is forcing KC to deal him so what Minnesota is getting- maybe- is another club's malcontent.
    The price figures to be steep, both in terms of what the Vikes will have to give to get and pay to have.
    Looking at this deal on a scale between the Packers signing Reggie White and Joe Johnson, this looks to me more to the direction of JJ. Jared Allen is no Reggie White." Next guy says: Are you crazy? Why must all FA be compared to Reggie White? Based on your criteria, the only FA worth signing are hall of fame type players??? Jared Allen is an all-pro defensive end which means he is considered to be one of the top two in the league. He is a Blue player. Teams scheme against him. He is in his prime, his current team wants him, Joe Johnson was 30 and the Saints didn't pursue resigning him because they knew he was used up. Crazy comparison, not even close. On a solid defense like the Packers, Jared Allen would be a true difference making. How would teams contend with Aarom Kampmann and Jared Allen and fresh DT tackles all game long?"

"Maybe on the Packers Allen would be all that but we're talkin' about the Vikings. They don't have the tackle rotation or the bookend. Pat Williams comes out on passing downs. I'm just saying I don't see Jared Allen becoming a Viking being the move that shifts the balance of power in the division that much."

There are lots more but you get the idea.

PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

shockzilla is offline PPO Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Comments from PackersNews.com on Jared Allen

Here's one more:

"No.
    The Vikings will not be very good.
    I hope they give up a TON of draft picks for Allen.
    He's one guy. With one really good year under his belt.
    Perfect.
    That team's needs go way beyond Allen.
    To start:
    The majority of their off season pickups are defensive players. As history has shown, it takes at least 1 season for them to cohesively play as a unit. At best, they may come together at the END of the '08 season. NOT WORRIED.
    On offense, they have a proven player at the QB position. He's been the starter for two years and has really done nothing. This goes against all those that say he is un proven. If the 'Queens pick up Allen, where are they going to get a QB?
    Yes, Pederson is a fine running back. Though, remember that last year, all his yards came from running off only one side of the line. They haven't fixed that as far as I can see. Plus their All-Pro center is old, pissed and ready for another hernia.
    Berrian? HA HA HA HA....
    One OK receiver does not a passing game make. He'll continue to drop balls as always.
    Rice? I would call a sophomore slump if he had done anything.
    In all aspects, I LOVE what the "Queens" are doing!
    Following the blueprint of Washington that has gotten them nowhere!"
    PPO Ambassador, Defender of the Purple Faith and Guardian of the Gates of Valhalla

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"shockzilla" wrote:

"Maybe on the Packers Allen would be all that but we're talkin' about the Vikings. They don't have the tackle rotation or the bookend. Pat Williams comes out on passing downs. I'm just saying I don't see Jared Allen becoming a Viking being the move that shifts the balance of power in the division that much."
    I think having both of our starting DTs go to the Pro Bowl last year speaks volumes for whether or not we're worried about having a rotation of DTs....

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Did you think that any of them would actually be worried about this? Why on the hell do you think they have 4 QB's on their roster? It would look bad if they had Al Harris as their QB by the end of week one because our DL broke the other ones in half

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

typical comments by rivalry teamfans.
    To bad they are so dumb that he will be bad even though he had 15.5 sacks last year.. but i get what they'r doing. i'd be crapping my pants if i would face that good of a DE twice
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

I love biased comments from fans against their arch rival team. A true football fan knows when a team makes a smart move or a dumb move. People who make comments about the JA trade in a dumb manner do not know what they are talking about. They are probably the fans that say our secondary is garbage because we were last against the pass and dont understand what JA will do for them. If the pack were in the same situation as we were and got JA id say, nice trade, but fuck them, i wouldnt hate on the guy or the trade

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Couple that I agree with.

Clifty will be able to handle him."
    JA had 3 total tackles, .5 sacks against the PUKERS last year.
    He will eat up the other Tackles in the div though but against the PUKERS I suspect he might be kept quiet a bit.

By the way, standby for the naysayers to come out week one if that happens.

"Maybe on the Packers Allen would be all that but we're talkin' about the Vikings. They don't have the tackle rotation or the bookend. Pat Williams comes out on passing downs.
    Like it or not, we need to get better at the DT position.
    Kevin and Pat wore down last year towards the end of the season.

My guess, that is the reason we saw such an emphasis on DT's in FA and took one in the draft when no one thought we needed one.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:

He will eat up the other Tackles in the div though but against the PUKERS I suspect he might be kept quiet a bit.

"Maybe on the Packers Allen would be all that but we're talkin' about the Vikings. They don't have the tackle rotation or the bookend. Pat Williams comes out on passing downs.

My guess, that is the reason we saw such an emphasis on DT's in FA and took one in the draft when no one thought we needed one.
    Rodgers or Brohm will take twice as long to get rid of the ball as Favre. Not to mention they wont spectacularly make a guy miss and make an amazing yet unconventional throw. How many games did Favre carry the packers on his back last year? All of them.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Rodgers or Brohm will take twice as long to get rid of the ball as Favre. Not to mention they wont spectacularly make a guy miss and make an amazing yet unconventional throw. How many games did Favre carry the packers on his back last year? All of them.
    I agree with your point, but how does Favre's play account for the lack of tackles?

Again, I believe he will eat up the Lions and Bears T's but he will not have a free ride against the PUKERS T's regardless of who is behind center.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

Pukers are scared...they can cry when they loose opening day..big game, bright lights...I'd be scared of AD too

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast