Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Come on, Brett, just say it. You'll be back

"pack93z" wrote:
    It really doesn't matter how long he takes to make the decision, the Packers have the QB set next in line.. so let him take some time. Not like we are QB shopping right now, and either way I think this is a year in which we pick a QB someplace in the middle rounds to backup Rodgers.

Personally, I will be happy either way, if he thinks it is time to "hang them up", then its time. After all the years of excitement, most good.. some bad, I be happy for him in his decision and will look forward to a new dawn in Packer football. Albeit a one that will be lacking a little of the Favre touch.

Sure it matters. It may make a difference of whether or not the Packers look for a backup QB in the draft. It has for some years now since they picked up Rodgers. Up until last year, Rodgers was an unknown as to what type of QB he might turn out to be.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Bottom line is, Brett the drama queen likes to keep everyone in suspense & loves all the attention it gets from the media & fans.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

I guess we really have no idea as to what he is telling the Packers organization, but no matter who you are or what your status may be, you owe it to your employer to inform them of what you intend to do.

Brett is an important cog in that organization, and his decision will have a drastic effect on the team.

I personally just ignore him and his parading of answers as to whether or not he will be back.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    Sure it matters. It may make a difference of whether or not the Packers look for a backup QB in the draft. It has for some years now since they picked up Rodgers. Up until last year, Rodgers was an unknown as to what type of QB he might turn out to be.
    I see it differently, we are taking a QB in this draft someplace.. whether Brett returns or not.. it is a deep QB class and we need some assurances after Brett leaves.. whether this year, next or after his contract is up in 2010. Thompson has isolated the Packers against Favre leaving as much as he can.. it really doesn't matter when in my opinion. The only possible issue they face is whether to add a veteran QB.. but they won't want to break the bank on that veteran so it will be someone that is just looking for a home.

IMO, the decision has more impact on the coaching staff and playcalling than personnel at this point. They are the ones that have to make the adjustments, even if Favre waits til May or June, they have plenty of time to adjust. Why do I think that.. regardless if Favre comes back or not, the skill positions on offense are pretty much set unless a game changer falls in there laps. So no matter if Rodgers or Favre is leading the team next year the OLine remains the biggest priority of offense, maybe another RB or TE... but I don't expect a major change amongst the skill players.

So to me, for the first time in a couple years, it doesn't matter when he makes the call to some degree.. July won't work.

Oh by the way.. I do wish his decisions would be less drawn out and he would just make the call.. but he doesn't, So as an franchise you make adjustments to minimize the importance of the decision on your team.

So throwning it out there so it doesn't seem like I am defending him, moreso saying it doesn't have the effect it had the past couple of seasons.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"pack93z" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    I see it differently, we are taking a QB in this draft someplace.. whether Brett returns or not.. it is a deep QB class and we need some assurances after Brett leaves.. whether this year, next or after his contract is up in 2010. Thompson has isolated the Packers against Favre leaving as much as he can.. it really doesn't matter when in my opinion. The only possible issue they face is whether to add a veteran QB.. but they won't want to break the bank on that veteran so it will be someone that is just looking for a home.

IMO, the decision has more impact on the coaching staff and playcalling than personnel at this point. They are the ones that have to make the adjustments, even if Favre waits til May or June, they have plenty of time to adjust. Why do I think that.. regardless if Favre comes back or not, the skill positions on offense are pretty much set unless a game changer falls in there laps. So no matter if Rodgers or Favre is leading the team next year the OLine remains the biggest priority of offense, maybe another RB or TE... but I don't expect a major change amongst the skill players.

So to me, for the first time in a couple years, it doesn't matter when he makes the call to some degree.. July won't work.
    Good points.....but by all this you are making at least one assumption.
    The organization is comfortable with Aaron Rogers and whoever they may pickup in the draft.
    I would like to think that the packer would want someone to backup Rogers, and that someone would be a free agent looking for a home for another season or two, knowing his role is to backup the heir apparant to Lord Favre

"pack93z" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

You see it differently now, but how did you see it in 2005, 2006 & 2007 when he contemplated retirement? Where would the Packers be had he retired then? Rodgers was first drafted in 2005.

"singersp" wrote:

You see it differently now, but how did you see it in 2005, 2006 & 2007 when he contemplated retirement? Where would the Packers be had he retired then? Rodgers was first drafted in 2005.
    Last year he made the decision in Feb.. plenty of time to make the decisions we may have needed. However 05' and 06' yep we kind of twisted in the wind, but again, that was a franchise issue as well. We didn't have a QB in place or a plan for the what ifs in life. To many eggs in the Favre basket so to speak. But he owns alot of that as well without a clear decision of his playing future, whether he likes the attention or is truly that indecisive I have no clue.

I hate the drama as well, but tis life, plan for it accordingly and let it rip.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Just retire Favre, now that you can't throw anymore 1 yard tds to bubba!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

[size=12pt]Brett Favre Through the Years in Video Games[/size]
    Posted Mar 10th 2008 6:41PM
    by Michael David Smith
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast