Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Capers joins Packers as defensive coordinator

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Oh pooh, those Packers are going to have to wait 4-5 years now for the roster to be turned over to fit the new scheme and for the new scheme to be implemented.
    Ahh... I didn't have to read far to find the first slam... in reality this is a very solid move for the Packers. We are short on Dlineman that can actually play, but have an excess of tweeners and speed.

So, we retool the D line and utilize the depth at Backer.. with Capers and his experience at turning 4-3's around, it should be interesting. Remember he took the Jags 4-3, reshaped it and had the #1 d with a 3-4 the following year.

I don't expect that type of turnaround.. but it really can't be any worse than the collapse of late last season.

Not to mention, with today's game, your only in the base defense 45% of the time or less.. You will see Kampman with his hand down enough to scare you..
    ;D
    Is Hawk going to be moved to the middle? I don't see him as the 3-4 OLB type. I think he's more fit for the middle in the 3-4, and his talent will be better utilized there.

Montgomery is gonna have to put on some weight to play as a 3-4 DE. I assume Pickett will play the 0 technique, where they should have a pretty solid rotation. They've got 3 big meatballs to switch between.

And what about the defensive end opposite Montgomery? Justin Harrell? Or has he been given up on?

The front 7 is gonna get shaken up a little bit, and will probably take some time to adjust, but you guys have strength in the secondary and that should make the front 7's transition a little less evident.
    Hawk, unless he completely does a 180 this offseason, is a man without a home on this defense. He has regressed two straight years.. doesn't fight off blocks well, seems to have lost most of his agility and is playing way to reactionary ball. Personally, Bishop and Barnett are better fits inside than Hawk. And I agree, he doesn't seem to project well outside either, horrible in pass rush last season.

Montgomery will not be back in GB.. doesn't fit anywhere along the front.. not agile enough for OLB and not stout enough at end.. he is a FA and won't be retained.

Jenkins at one end, and he will continue to be a beast if healthy.

Pickett and Jolly at nose, the longer Jolly's legal issues drag out the more likely he will get a slap on the wrists. But I hope the NFL suspends his jiggly butt for a couple of game in the least... jar some freaking sense into the follower.

At the other end, we have.. cough, rabble roll, Harrell at this point, but I think the Packers have risked enough with the kid.. if he can't contribute in camp he will be given his walking papers. I honest believe that he is being looked as a bonus this year.. if he gives us anything it is a bonus.

One kid that I think will excel in this alignment in terms of pass rush that no one is talking about.. Jeremy Thompson.. long lean jack rabbit fast.. struggled getting out the the down stance with his length, but may turn it loose coming from an upright position.
    So then you agree the packers suck?
    I wonder if defenders are unwilling to sign with NFC north teams for fear of being posterized like Al Harris. Something to think about.
    jk, good post, I didn't realize Hawk was slipping. I think maybe all the success he had as a rookie went to his head and he started to think it would be easy. Greenway on the other hand face a lot of adversity(injured entire rookie season) right away and that made him stronger.
    Well, in his defense, the entire LB-core dropped in productivity last year, it seemed. Obviously, this had something to do with our D-line aswell, but still. Maybe Capers and Greene can get them back again. I think it'll be great to have both Hawk and Barnett in the middle, even if he's a little undersized.

As for the 3-4 in general, I think we'll do ok this year. It all starts with a solid D-line and, like said before, that might be our biggest problem atm. Looking forward to the draft and still at who's out there though, those problems can be adressed. Also, we have some under-the-radar guys in our roster that might pan out really well.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf

Mattwaukee is offline Training Camp

I wonder if defenders are unwilling to sign with NFC north teams for fear of being posterized like Al Harris. Something to think about.
    lol i hear that so much but it's funny people fail to remember Al Harris was the one who took him out in 2007.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"Mattwaukee" wrote:
    lol i hear that so much but it's funny people fail to remember Al Harris was the one who took him out in 2007.
    Harris didn't take him out..
    injuries happen in this sport often..

But make no mistake, AP was making a statement on the Harris..he dialed up a little extra.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"pack93z" wrote:
    "Mattwaukee" wrote:

But make no mistake, AP was making a statement on the Harris..he dialed up a little extra.

He was making a statement to the league, if I'm coming after you ya better get out the way, or be on sportcenter every 5 minutes in a bad way.
    Almost as cool as when AD did this.

"pack93z" wrote:
    "Mattwaukee" wrote:

so AP can be trying to take someone out but Harris couldn't have possibly aimed low when he was already being wrapped up.....I dunno about that

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Mattwaukee" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "Mattwaukee" wrote:

so AP can be trying to take someone out but Harris couldn't have possibly aimed low when he was already being wrapped up.....I dunno about that
    What are you talking about?

Peterson lowered his shoulder and blew through Harris like a rag doll, which is exactly why Harris hit him low the time he injured him. It was unfortunate that Peterson got hurt, and I was pissed about it since he was coming from the outside which creates so many more injuries than a head on tackle at the knees, but I don't think it had malicious intent.

Peterson wasn't trying to "take Harris out," as the ball carrier I can't imagine a way he could. He was just trying to embarrass him, and definitely did.
    [youtube=425,350]Bqs24InfI7g[/youtube]

Peterson lowered his shoulder and blew through Harris like a rag doll, which is exactly why Harris hit him low the time he injured him. It was unfortunate that Peterson got hurt, and I was pissed about it since he was coming from the outside which creates so many more injuries than a head on tackle at the knees, but I don't think it had malicious intent.

Peterson wasn't trying to "take Harris out," as the ball carrier I can't imagine a way he could. He was just trying to embarrass him, and definitely did.
    um that don't make sense cause Harris hurt Peterson the season before Peterson ran him over

it was said that it was actually Peterson that was hunting for harris' head....

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Mattwaukee" wrote:

um that don't make sense cause Harris hurt Peterson the season before Peterson ran him over

Said by whom...what does that matter? Do you know how ridiculous that statement is?

The running back is in the vulnerable position. AD didn't come at Harris from the side, he just ran over him like a good/great RB does.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Mattwaukee" wrote:

Even if he was, what could he do? Dropkick Harris in the knee while running the ball? Taking himself down in the process?

Keep in mind it's Harris' job to tackle Peterson, and Peterson's job not to get tackled. Harris was trying to prevent him from getting the first down, and paid for it.

What I'm trying to say is, how can a ball carrier "take out" or "hunt for the head" of a defender. It just makes no sense.

Maybe if it were a lineman or fullback it would.

"Mr" wrote:
    "Mattwaukee" wrote:

Even if he was, what could he do? Dropkick Harris in the knee while running the ball? Taking himself down in the process?

Keep in mind it's Harris' job to tackle Peterson, and Peterson's job not to get tackled. Harris was trying to prevent him from getting the first down, and paid for it.

What I'm trying to say is, how can a ball carrier "take out" or "hunt for the head" of a defender. It just makes no sense.

Maybe if it were a lineman or fullback it would.

can anyone here comprehend a little theory called "Revenge"

*Slience*

I'll take that as a No.....go look it up and then maybe you can contribute

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast