Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Capers joins Packers as defensive coordinator

"Mr" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Oh shit, those Packers are going to have to wait 4-5 years now for the roster to be turned over to fit the new scheme and for the new scheme to be implemented.
    Ahh... I didn't have to read far to find the first slam... in reality this is a very solid move for the Packers. We are short on Dlineman that can actually play, but have an excess of tweeners and speed.

So, we retool the D line and utilize the depth at Backer.. with Capers and his experience at turning 4-3's around, it should be interesting. Remember he took the Jags 4-3, reshaped it and had the #1 d with a 3-4 the following year.

I don't expect that type of turnaround.. but it really can't be any worse than the collapse of late last season.

Not to mention, with today's game, your only in the base defense 45% of the time or less.. You will see Kampman with his hand down enough to scare you..
    ;D
    Is Hawk going to be moved to the middle? I don't see him as the 3-4 OLB type. I think he's more fit for the middle in the 3-4, and his talent will be better utilized there.

Montgomery is gonna have to put on some weight to play as a 3-4 DE. I assume Pickett will play the 0 technique, where they should have a pretty solid rotation. They've got 3 big meatballs to switch between.

And what about the defensive end opposite Montgomery? Justin Harrell? Or has he been given up on?

The front 7 is gonna get shaken up a little bit, and will probably take some time to adjust, but you guys have strength in the secondary and that should make the front 7's transition a little less evident.

Jenkins?

He is a solid DE and a good fit for the 3-4 IMO

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Oh pooh, those Packers are going to have to wait 4-5 years now for the roster to be turned over to fit the new scheme and for the new scheme to be implemented.
    Ahh... I didn't have to read far to find the first slam... in reality this is a very solid move for the Packers. We are short on Dlineman that can actually play, but have an excess of tweeners and speed.

So, we retool the D line and utilize the depth at Backer.. with Capers and his experience at turning 4-3's around, it should be interesting. Remember he took the Jags 4-3, reshaped it and had the #1 d with a 3-4 the following year.

I don't expect that type of turnaround.. but it really can't be any worse than the collapse of late last season.

Not to mention, with today's game, your only in the base defense 45% of the time or less.. You will see Kampman with his hand down enough to scare you..
    ;D
    Is Hawk going to be moved to the middle? I don't see him as the 3-4 OLB type. I think he's more fit for the middle in the 3-4, and his talent will be better utilized there.

Montgomery is gonna have to put on some weight to play as a 3-4 DE. I assume Pickett will play the 0 technique, where they should have a pretty solid rotation. They've got 3 big meatballs to switch between.

And what about the defensive end opposite Montgomery? Justin Harrell? Or has he been given up on?

The front 7 is gonna get shaken up a little bit, and will probably take some time to adjust, but you guys have strength in the secondary and that should make the front 7's transition a little less evident.

Jenkins?

+1

Jenkins will be a great fit as an end in a 3-4.
    I'm not so sure about Pickett at NT but perhaps he will also be an end.
    I definitely see Hawk moving inside with Barnett and the Pack getting a DE/LB tweener to play opposite of Kampman in the base defense.

The only guy i don't see as being a good fit is Harrell.
    He could be an end but i doubt he is stout enough to play NT.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Oh shit, those Packers are going to have to wait 4-5 years now for the roster to be turned over to fit the new scheme and for the new scheme to be implemented.

;D

Jenkins?

I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I've noticed most successful 3-4 DEs are pretty tall, where Jenkins is only 6'2.

V4L

Agree Packsux

They hae many of the tools.. Just a couple peices and good coaching and they will be solid

V4L

They are targeting Chris Canty for DE to add to the rotation from Dallas

He is a solid 3-4 fit as well

dfosterf is offline Coach

"V4L" wrote:
    They are targeting Chris Canty for DE to add to the rotation from Dallas

He is a solid 3-4 fit as well
    Packer fanbase---- Big time targeting, fyi.
    You cross your fingers one way, we'll cross 'em the other.

He really looks like an outstanding fit for us.

V4L

I always felt they wer more suited for the 3-4

If they add a piece or 2 I see them as a top 15 D.. EVEN with the probs last year

Mattwaukee is offline Training Camp

"marstc09" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Mattwaukee" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    They won't be contenders, it takes tremendous time to transit from 4-3 to 3-4. Their defense wasn't all that great anyway and i don't think they will make big changes.
    kinda like how when capers went to carolina and made the switch.....oh wait they went to one of the worst to one of the best in 1 year....and they did it with a transition DE to OLB like kampmen

Does he have a line like Rucker, Peppers, Jenkins And BB?
    Not even close.

LOL this was when peppers wasn't even drafted, and yes they did convert a DE to OLB like kampmen....if you remember it was the year the panthers got killed by the best NFC north team in the last 40 years at lambeau in the NFC championship

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

"Mr" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

;D

Hawk, unless he completely does a 180 this offseason, is a man without a home on this defense. He has regressed two straight years.. doesn't fight off blocks well, seems to have lost most of his agility and is playing way to reactionary ball. Personally, Bishop and Barnett are better fits inside than Hawk. And I agree, he doesn't seem to project well outside either, horrible in pass rush last season.

Montgomery will not be back in GB.. doesn't fit anywhere along the front.. not agile enough for OLB and not stout enough at end.. he is a FA and won't be retained.

Jenkins at one end, and he will continue to be a beast if healthy.

Pickett and Jolly at nose, the longer Jolly's legal issues drag out the more likely he will get a slap on the wrists. But I hope the NFL suspends his ass for a couple of game in the least... jar some freaking sense into the follower.

At the other end, we have.. cough, rabble roll, Harrell at this point, but I think the Packers have risked enough with the kid.. if he can't contribute in camp he will be given his walking papers. I honest believe that he is being looked as a bonus this year.. if he gives us anything it is a bonus.

One kid that I think will excel in this alignment in terms of pass rush that no one is talking about.. Jeremy Thompson.. long lean jack rabbit fast.. struggled getting out the the down stance with his length, but may turn it loose coming from an upright position.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"pack93z" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "pack93z" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

;D

Hawk, unless he completely does a 180 this offseason, is a man without a home on this defense. He has regressed two straight years.. doesn't fight off blocks well, seems to have lost most of his agility and is playing way to reactionary ball. Personally, Bishop and Barnett are better fits inside than Hawk. And I agree, he doesn't seem to project well outside either, horrible in pass rush last season.

Montgomery will not be back in GB.. doesn't fit anywhere along the front.. not agile enough for OLB and not stout enough at end.. he is a FA and won't be retained.

Jenkins at one end, and he will continue to be a beast if healthy.

Pickett and Jolly at nose, the longer Jolly's legal issues drag out the more likely he will get a slap on the wrists. But I hope the NFL suspends his ass for a couple of game in the least... jar some freaking sense into the follower.

At the other end, we have.. cough, rabble roll, Harrell at this point, but I think the Packers have risked enough with the kid.. if he can't contribute in camp he will be given his walking papers. I honest believe that he is being looked as a bonus this year.. if he gives us anything it is a bonus.

One kid that I think will excel in this alignment in terms of pass rush that no one is talking about.. Jeremy Thompson.. long lean jack rabbit fast.. struggled getting out the the down stance with his length, but may turn it loose coming from an upright position.
    So then you agree the packers suck?
    I wonder if defenders are unwilling to sign with NFC north teams for fear of being posterized like Al Harris. Something to think about.
    jk, good post, I didn't realize Hawk was slipping. I think maybe all the success he had as a rookie went to his head and he started to think it would be easy. Greenway on the other hand face a lot of adversity(injured entire rookie season) right away and that made him stronger.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast