Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Re: Capers joins Packers as defensive coordinator

Vwery nice write up!
    I think the million dollar question is how well Kampman can adjust to playing linebacker.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"poisoning16" wrote:
    Ok, here comes a long boring post about the Packers defense. You've been warned ;D

The way I see it breaking down right now with who they currently have on their roster is this:

NT - Pickett would work at NT since he is 6'2, 330 lbs, but beyond him they don't have anyone else at NT who would fit. This is where they need to add depth and maybe a guy like BJ Raji becomes even more desirable for them(shame that Terrence Cody didn't declare for this years draft)

Either way, I'm just excited that they have a D Coordinator who actually knows what he's doing. Sideshow Bob Sanders was as basic as it gets
    If you consider that boring, keep them coming.
    I have officially added you to the ole Spreadsheet for tracking purposes.
    To day Pack93z is the only PUKER fan on it.......

As to Raji.
    You been watching the Senior Bowl?
    Guy is very impressive along with a cat named Jerry, Peria.
    He could be a bit light for a 3-4 NT but damn if he doesn't/isn't pushing around all the top Senior Interior OLmen.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/p...ospect_ID=1675
    Excellent post my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "poisoning16" wrote:
    Ok, here comes a long boring post about the Packers defense. You've been warned ;D

The way I see it breaking down right now with who they currently have on their roster is this:

NT - Pickett would work at NT since he is 6'2, 330 lbs, but beyond him they don't have anyone else at NT who would fit. This is where they need to add depth and maybe a guy like BJ Raji becomes even more desirable for them(shame that Terrence Cody didn't declare for this years draft)

Either way, I'm just excited that they have a D Coordinator who actually knows what he's doing. Sideshow Bob Sanders was as basic as it gets

As to Raji.
    He could be a bit light for a 3-4 NT but damn if he doesn't/isn't pushing around all the top Senior Interior OLmen.

Excellent post my friend.
    The Packers will draft Raji but I could also see Malcolm Jenkins.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "poisoning16" wrote:

As to Raji.
    He could be a bit light for a 3-4 NT but gol 'darnit if he doesn't/isn't pushing around all the top Senior Interior OLmen.

Excellent post My Sexy Little Pixie.
    The Packers will draft Raji but I could also see Malcolm Jenkins.
    Of course the basic knowledge I have on the college cats right now is nothing more than what I've garnered from a few practices and what the coaches are telling them as they work with them (I love how they miche up the coaches) but that Raji and Jerry kid were bringing some serious game....

Someone is gonna get a hell of a pocket collapser when they use a pick on either one of them.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

poisoning16 is offline Rookie

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "poisoning16" wrote:

As to Raji.
    He could be a bit light for a 3-4 NT but gol 'darnit if he doesn't/isn't pushing around all the top Senior Interior OLmen.

Thanks! As far as the Senior bowl goes, of course I've been watching. With football season one game away from being officially over, I need to get my football fix somehow. Not to mention when your team is coming off a crap season you can't wait to get to FA/draft...eager to see how the team plugs some of the holes and what not

anyway, Raji has been a beast the entire week and has probably solidified himself as the top DT in this year's draft. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pack bring him in, obviously. Perry has also been fantastic, although I think #9 would be too high for him. Knowing Thompson though, if the player he wants is off the board by the time the Pack pick at the 9th spot and if he feels the next player he wants can be had a bit later in the round, I can easily see him trading down a bit in the 1st round, and acquiring more picks in the process.

I've also liked what I've seen from the NIU DE, Larry English. Also been watching the O-lineman since that's another area that the Pack could/should improve upon.

As a Vikes fan who are you guys hoping to get with your first rounder? WR? Safety?

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not big on position as long as he is a good football player and has a bright NFL future. By the time FA is over I think most of the pivital needs will be filled and we can work on drafting whoever is on our board. A guy I would love to see fall is James Laurinaitis MLB, I wouldn't hestitate on that kid. I think he has a great future in the NFL and I would move him to OLB where Leber plays to be the eventuall replacement and versatle guy.

"poisoning16" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "poisoning16" wrote:

As to Raji.

Thanks! As far as the Senior bowl goes, of course I've been watching. With football season one game away from being officially over, I need to get my football fix somehow. Not to mention when your team is coming off a crap season you can't wait to get to FA/draft...eager to see how the team plugs some of the holes and what not

anyway, Raji has been a beast the entire week and has probably solidified himself as the top DT in this year's draft. I wouldn't mind seeing the Pack bring him in, obviously. Perry has also been fantastic, although I think #9 would be too high for him. Knowing Thompson though, if the player he wants is off the board by the time the Pack pick at the 9th spot and if he feels the next player he wants can be had a bit later in the round, I can easily see him trading down a bit in the 1st round, and acquiring more picks in the process.

I've also liked what I've seen from the NIU DE, Larry English. Also been watching the O-lineman since that's another area that the Pack could/should improve upon.

As a Vikes fan who are you guys hoping to get with your first rounder? WR? Safety?
    English seems to be a pretty interesting prospect as well.
    In a way, I wish they would/could figure out some way to get the underclassmen included in this game.
    Would give us a bit better insight into some of those cats under the teaching of the NFL coaches.

Course they would have to change the name then wouldn't they.... ;D

I don't think we really need to target anyone in this draft, especially considering were we are drafting.
    My guess is that they will be looking to get the BPA that will provide depth at a few positions....

a.
    S
    b.
    DT
    c.
    LB (MLB)

All other areas of concern (for me at least) C, WR, QB should be filled via FA.

Judging by your post, it appears you get into the offseason a bit.
    Do you do a mock draft?
    Several of us on here waste massive amounts of hours doing them.
    Would be interesting to see one with a PUKER spin on it.... ;D

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    I'm not big on position as long as he is a good football player and has a bright NFL future. By the time FA is over I think most of the pivital needs will be filled and we can work on drafting whoever is on our board. A guy I would love to see fall is James Laurinaitis MLB, I wouldn't hestitate on that kid. I think he has a great future in the NFL and I would move him to OLB where Leber plays to be the eventuall replacement and versatle guy.
    You know, I was pretty high on this kid last year.
    Seems he might have hurt his stock abit by not coming out last year as alot of the scouting reports I have been reading are hacking on him this year.

Draft value boards are still listing him as a first rounder though.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

A good article on switching to a 3-4 defense!!
    Compliments of DEN's new coaches' preliminary plan to change as well...NOT a good idea IMHO.
    DEN needs help at DT, DE, MLB, and in the secondary!!
    THey've allowed over 400 points 2 years in a row!
    OUCH!!
    Guess it can't get much worse!

Anyway, Collier was with the Broncos for 20 years...and apparently, a guy who introduced Bellicheat to the 3-4 years ago.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2009/jan/23/collier-explains-art-of-3-4-defense/?partner=RSS

"And you build it from the inside out," Collier said. "The nose tackle and the inside linebackers, those are three guys that are very important. But when you go through it, the nose tackle is probably the single-most important guy.

"He has to hold it all together and make it so the guards can't get out on the inside linebackers. Let me put it this way - the nose tackle can make the inside linebackers look pretty good, and if your inside linebackers look pretty good, you're going to play pretty good defense."

He's (D.Robertson/DT DEN) also far lighter than 325- pound Vince Wilfork and 325- pound Casey Hampton - both likely play at heavier weights than are listed - who are considered two of the best nose tackles in football in the two best 3-4 defenses in the league in New England and Pittsburgh, respectively.

The two defensive end spots traditionally are filled by players with the body types the Broncos don't have on their roster. The Steelers and Patriots start defensive ends who are at least 6-foot-5 and at least 285 pounds. New England starts two 300 pounders in Ty Warren and Richard Seymour.
    The article goes on to define the MLB weights around 240 lbs, with the OLB being bigger, often former DEs in the 260+ range.

Yup Poison, I can see Cullins playing well at DE and Kampman being kind of scary at OLB.
    I'm not entirely sold on your NT, and I think that is the hardest spot to fill...330-350 lb dudes who are strong, fast, and consistently persistant are rather rare, and tend to be drafted early.
    Plus, it is always nice to have depth/rotation at a position that is going to be so toe-to-toe every play.
    I think you're OK at MLB with Hawk and Barnett, but still need the other OLB.
    Pack could also use depth behind their aging CBs.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"Mikecarter81" wrote:
    Vwery nice write up!
    I think the million dollar question is how well Kampman can adjust to playing linebacker.

Mike

Looks like he and the other OLB (Popinga?) will be coached by Kevin Greene (who worked with Harrison and Woodley on the Steelers this year).
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast