Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Capers joins Packers as defensive coordinator

Idk thier D was pretty bad we will see if it even drops off haha

But yes they need someone like Suggs or Dansby to complete the starters

They got some people like Jolly and Poppinga to back up.. But could use some more that fit the 3-4 a lil better

This is a great move in the short.. Depending on how Harris and Woodson hold up while getting old

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Interesting!
    3-4?
    Sounds nearly exactly what Childress said about the Tampa2...he wants to practice against what gave him fits.

So, you trade your best DT away, your 2nd year rookie still isn't healthy, and another of your best DLineman hits IR early...your rush defense drops to No.26, 20th overall, but Woodson and Harris' hand holding keeps them up at 12th vs. pass.
    And now, you've decided to change it all up?
    Off the top, this sounds good for the rest of the NFC North...but, looking back at the Vikes schedule, really?
    Not a single 3-4 D all year?
    Wierd.
    Seems like last year half of our games were vs. 3-4...and we didn't fair so well...anybody know our record vs. the 3-4?

Deserves a bit of a glance at the Puker's depth chart says I:

First off, the Line.
    Kampman is a beast and Cullen Jenkins has the size...they look like good DE starters in either scheme.
    I'm not sure about their backups there but the guy who stepped up for CJ tallied 59 tkls in 14 games.
    DT on the other hand is still an issue.
    None of these guys paricularly stick out as top notch and usually, in a 3-4 you need a huge guy inside to command a couple of blockers and take up space...usually, 350 or so.
    Looks like they need that guy in a big way.

At LB they've got some players in Hawk and Barnett, Chillar has been decent in coverage, don't know much about Poppinga, but he did get 69 tkls.
    They might be OK at LB, but likely need depth.

Secondary looks decent.
    They've been spending picks on depth back there, and have the vets still playing in front of them...developing for the future.
    I'm not too sure how much the front 7 alignment would really effect the responsibilities of the secondary anyway...?

Dang they just might be able to pull it off.
    Hopefully, we can count on that 4 or 5 years learning curve to hold them back
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Interesting!
    3-4?
    Sounds nearly exactly what Childress said about the Tampa2...he wants to practice against what gave him fits.

So, you trade your best DT away, your 2nd year rookie still isn't healthy, and another of your best DLineman hits IR early...your rush defense drops to No.26, 20th overall, but Woodson and Harris' hand holding keeps them up at 12th vs. pass.
    And now, you've decided to change it all up?
    Off the top, this sounds good for the rest of the NFC North...but, looking back at the Vikes schedule, really?
    Not a single 3-4 D all year?
    Wierd.
    Seems like last year half of our games were vs. 3-4...and we didn't fair so well...anybody know our record vs. the 3-4?

Deserves a bit of a glance at the Puker's depth chart says I:

First off, the Line.
    Kampman is a beast and Cullen Jenkins has the size...they look like good DE starters in either scheme.
    I'm not sure about their backups there but the guy who stepped up for CJ tallied 59 tkls in 14 games.
    DT on the other hand is still an issue.
    None of these guys paricularly stick out as top notch and usually, in a 3-4 you need a huge guy inside to command a couple of blockers and take up space...usually, 350 or so.
    Looks like they need that guy in a big way.

At LB they've got some players in Hawk and Barnett, Chillar has been decent in coverage, don't know much about Poppinga, but he did get 69 tkls.
    They might be OK at LB, but likely need depth.

Secondary looks decent.
    They've been spending picks on depth back there, and have the vets still playing in front of them...developing for the future.
    I'm not too sure how much the front 7 alignment would really effect the responsibilities of the secondary anyway...?

Dang they just might be able to pull it off.
    Hopefully, we can count on that 4 or 5 years learning curve to hold them back
    Bigger point is, what they don't have is available in FA this year and they have the CAP to go out and get 3 or 4 of them......
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Trust me 3-4 is a better fit then the 4-3 they were running

Just because a couple of them aren't your sterotypical 3-4 guys doesn't mean they don't play like it or fit it

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

Bigger point is, what they don't have is available in FA this year and they have the CAP to go out and get 3 or 4 of them......
    so any chance of us bolstering up our DL then if they may look to offload several players?
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

To me, the advantage of the 3-4 is that the offense doesn't know which one of the LBs is going to pass rush each down, in other words, step up to DE...but, that on most downs, you are rushing 4 anyways.
    And, On the rare occaision that you'd have all 4 LBs in zone, it would be that much smaller space to cover...so if you did get mauled at the LOS, you'd still have a backer there to keep the gain short?

I wonder if McCarthy thinks he has guys at DE that can play OLB, or DT at DE...Kampman at OLB?
    Might be scary

Right, not only the cap space, but they are pretty set with their offense too...meaning they could really focus in FA and draft to pump this up!

Stupid Packers!!
    Why won't you just pull a DET for a few years?????
    LOL!
    JK!!
    ;D
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    To me, the advantage of the 3-4 is that the offense doesn't know which one of the LBs is going to pass rush each down, in other words, step up to DE...but, that on most downs, you are rushing 4 anyways.
    And, On the rare occaision that you'd have all 4 LBs in zone, it would be that much smaller space to cover...so if you did get mauled at the LOS, you'd still have a backer there to keep the gain short?

I wonder if McCarthy thinks he has guys at DE that can play OLB, or DT at DE...Kampman at OLB?
    Might be scary

Right, not only the cap space, but they are pretty set with their offense too...meaning they could really focus in FA and draft to pump this up!

Stupid Packers!!
    Why won't you just pull a DET for a few years?????
    LOL!
    JK!!
    ;D
    Of course thier FO could hold true to form and not dip deeply into the FA market, however, I think we will see that not to be the case........

Would appease the fan base a bit, they need to spend some to get under the percentage again this year and it rings true with the move to a new D-coord.

Seems to me that TT has had a long range vision and is holding true to it.

By the by.....Another prime example of a GM doing what he wants vice the preception that the HC runs it all as most fans seem to believe.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Packers will be pretty good next year... Rogers is an underrated QB.

I have to be honest, seeing AJ Hawk turn into a mediocre bust makes me very happy... his failures cause me happiness. Is that wrong?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

poisoning16 is offline Rookie

Ok, here comes a long boring post about the Packers defense. You've been warned ;D

The way I see it breaking down right now with who they currently have on their roster is this:

LDE - Now here is the first problem. They don't have a real option here. I'd assume Jolly/Harrell are the 2 guys for this spot RIGHT NOW but they aren't ideal fits. Harrell is probably a better fit since he is pretty athletic for his size...a reason why the Packers originally drafted him(sure wasn't his durability or toughness). Jolly would be a terrible option here and he's not big enough to be NT. I don't see any sort of role for him in this new scheme

NT - Pickett would work at NT since he is 6'2, 330 lbs, but beyond him they don't have anyone else at NT who would fit. This is where they need to add depth and maybe a guy like BJ Raji becomes even more desirable for them(shame that Terrence Cody didn't declare for this years draft)

RDE - Jenkins is a perfect fit at RDE. 6'2, 300 lbs but he's athletic and quick and is great against the run. Perfect fit there.

LOLB - Kampman probably has the inside track on this one and I think he could do it. 6'4, 265 lbs(maybe slim down by 5 lbs) Milwaukee Journal Sentinel posted a great comparison of Kampman and Dallas' Greg Ellis. Greg Ellis made the switch from a 4-3 DE to a 3-4 OLB. He had been a DE for his entire career up until that point and since the switch he has had success, and according to scouts(said in the article) that most consider Kampman more athletic than Ellis. Also, Kampman was also a LB during his college days back at Iowa...that was over 10 years ago though. In any case Capers mentioned that when you have a good player you find a way to make him fit so I'd expect to see Kampman lining up at DE and at OLB.

ILB - AJ Hawk fits here but the other option will need to be added through draft or FA. They have a backup in Bishop who could fit this role but he doesn't have much playing time and they have a guy in Nick Barnett ahead of him on the depth chart. This is the big problem right here IMO. Barnett has been the MLB for the Pack for a while and has been a productive player. Problem with him is that in the 3-4 he does not fit the mold of either ILB or OLB. Barnett along with Jolly are the 2 guys on this current D who I can't see in any fashion at all in being in the 3-4. Jolly is replaceable, but Barnett won't be as easy to replace since he's actually been good. Wonder what they do here. Maybe a Maualuga becomes more desirable as well with that top pick...

ROLB - Another bit of a problem, IMO. Suggs would be ideal here and a dream come true. I'd assume Chillar/Poppinga would be the options here and that is pretty meh at best. FA/Draft to fill this spot please

secondary will be fine IMO and I think this will be great for guys like Rouse/Bigby.

So in the end they have about 3 big holes to fill if they want to make the transition from the 4-3 to 3-4 as easy as possible. The 3 spots are critical as well in the 3-4 so Thompson and Co. need to break the bank on a big time FA or 2 for one of these spots and then they will need draft picks to produce. It's risky, but possible. LDE/ILB/ROLB and NT depth will be the keys this offseason. The great thing is that they are makin the switch at the right time since FA is filled with very talented 3-4 players and this years draft is stocked with top talent for the 3-4 defense

Either way, I'm just excited that they have a D Coordinator who actually knows what he's doing. Sideshow Bob Sanders was as basic as it gets

poisoning16 is offline Rookie

"C" wrote:
    Packers will be pretty good next year... Rogers is an underrated QB.

I have to be honest, seeing AJ Hawk turn into a mediocre bust makes me very happy... his failures cause me happiness. Is that wrong?

Nah it's not wrong. It's always fun to watch rivals top picks bust since it hurts development. I know I enjoyed watching Williamson bust. BE THAT AS IT MAY, I wouldn't label Hawk a bust, yet. He was solid in 07 and in 08 he played with a torn groin muscle for much of the season, and I'm hoping that this was the reason why he was so terrible last year. Next season is a huge year for Hawk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast