Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Capers joins Packers as defensive coordinator

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3843754

McCarthy said the team will switch from a 4-3 defense, which utilizes four down linemen and three linebackers, to Capers' specialty, the 3-4 defense, which uses three linemen and four linebackers.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Capers joins Packers as defensive coordinator

Oh shit, those Packers are going to have to wait 4-5 years now for the roster to be turned over to fit the new scheme and for the new scheme to be implemented.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Oh pooh, those Packers are going to have to wait 4-5 years now for the roster to be turned over to fit the new scheme and for the new scheme to be implemented.
    BS. As long as they stay in their lanes, they'll be fine !
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Boy I thought Marrdro would be all over this thread by now. Do you guys think this will benefit Peterson or make it worse for him?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    Boy I thought Marrdro would be all over this thread by now. Do you guys think this will benefit Peterson or make it worse for him?
    Why?

Anyway, After a quick glance at thier Front Seven candidates, I wonder how they are gonna go to that scheme.
    No real big guy in the middle, Not sure thier DE's fit the bill and thier LB's, especially thier outside guys aren't of the typical build associated wtih the scheme.

57 Jason Hunter DE 25 6-4 271 3 Appalachian State
    77 Cullen Jenkins DE 28 6-2 305 5 Central Michigan
    74 Aaron Kampman DE 29 6-4 265 7 Iowa
    96 Michael Montgomery DE 25 6-5 273 4 Texas A&M
    93 Kenny Pettway DE 26 6-4 248 4 Grambling State
    99 Jeremy Thompson DE 23 6-4 270 R Wake Forest
    90 Colin Cole DT 28 6-1 330 4 Iowa
    91 Justin Harrell DT 24 6-4 310 2 Tennessee
    97 Johnny Jolly DT 25 6-3 320 3 Texas A&M
    98 Alfred Malone DT 26 6-5 308 2 Troy

79 Ryan Pickett DT 29 6-2 330 8 Ohio State
    69 Anthony Toribio DT 23 6-1 300 R Carson-Newman
    56 Nick Barnett LB 27 6-2 236 6 Oregon State
    55 Desmond Bishop LB 24 6-2 238 2 California
    54 Brandon Chillar LB 26 6-3 243 5 UCLA
    53 Spencer Havner LB 25 6-3 244 1 UCLA
    50 A.J. Hawk LB 25 6-1 248 3 Ohio State
    58 Danny Lansanah LB 23 6-1 248 R Connecticut
    51 Brady Poppinga LB 29 6-3 247 4 Brigham Young

Maybe they will be active in the FA period now as they try to get thier roster to fit the scheme.
    Oh wait, they could tweek the scheme and just play to the strenght of the players right (even though that would mean they have to stay in a 4-3
    ;D)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Jenkins is much more of a 3-4 DE then he is a 4-3

Ryan Pickett will be thier NT and will play
    it damn well

Kampman is typically on the lighter side.. We will see how that works

Got Hawk who I think is a better 3-4 LB then a 4-3

Barnett in the middle

Poppinga and Chillar are tweeners.. I think they will be ok

I think it can give teams problems.. Might take some time to get used to.. But I think it's a good move

V4L

So yes Ryan Pickett is that big guy.. He is a great run stopper

Jenkins is a big guy and will
    be a good DE in the 3-4

Kampman may be too light.. but he was doubled all the time anyway

Hawk's strength is blitzing and with the 3-4 they can use him in that role more I.E Julian Peterson, Joey porter kinda guy

Im talking to my guy about Chillar.. He said he played better then hawk this year and really stepped up his game

he said Poppinga can go.. So he hopes they add a guy for his spot that can blitz and cover

"V4L" wrote:

it gol 'darnit well

Barnett in the middle

I think it can give teams problems.. Might take some time to get used to.. But I think it's a good move
    Hmmmmmm.
    Sure, they have a couple of guys that seem to fit the scheme, however, the predominance of those guys that are currently on the roster don't and that is the rub.

It isn't like they are gonna be able to just plug 7 guys out there and expect to execute the scheme. As with all positions, there will have to be a significant rotation of most positions (especially NT, LB'rs) to keep up the high energy needed to make this work.

The prototypical 3-4 NT is the Raiders' Ted Washington, who is a massive 6-5 365.
    3-4 OLBs are the playmakers of the D. They get the glory of picking up sacks on the QB. They must have strong pass rush skills and be able to drop into coverage. If the 3-4 OLBs are unable to consistently apply pressure on the QB, the D is very vulnerable in the passing game. They tend to weigh around 245-270, and many are former 4-3 DE/OLB "tweeners"
    http://www.geocities.com/epark/raide...4-defense.html

Just don't see it happening without a complete overhaul of that roster, especially the front 7 canidates.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V4L

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

it gol 'darnit well

Barnett in the middle

Hmmmmmm.
    Sure, they have a couple of guys that seem to fit the scheme, however, the predominance of those guys that are currently on the roster don't and that is the rub.

It isn't like they are gonna be able to just plug 7 guys out there and expect to execute the scheme. As with all positions, there will have to be a significant rotation of most positions (especially NT, LB'rs) to keep up the high energy needed to make this work.

The prototypical 3-4 NT is the Raiders' Ted Washington, who is a massive 6-5 365.
    3-4 OLBs are the playmakers of the D. They get the glory of picking up sacks on the QB. They must have strong pass rush skills and be able to drop into coverage. If the 3-4 OLBs are unable to consistently apply pressure on the QB, the D is very vulnerable in the passing game. They tend to weigh around 245-270, and many are former 4-3 DE/OLB "tweeners"

Just don't see it happening without a complete overhaul of that roster, especially the front 7 canidates.

They did play some 3-4 and had some success

Ryan Picket is HUGE man.. GREAT run stopper as well.. He is a lil shorter then 6-5 but probably the same body frame

Hawk is will be a great 3-4 LB.. Like I said they need a new OLB.. Poppinga can come in and cover to spell the guys

It won't be an immediate success IMO.. But not a huge drop off from thier horrible D last year

My buddy is pretty excited and was calling for more of it last year

"V4L" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

it gol 'darnit well

Barnett in the middle

Hmmmmmm.

They did play some 3-4 and had some success

Ryan Picket is HUGE man.. GREAT run stopper as well.. He is a lil shorter then 6-5 but probably the same body frame

Hawk is will be a great 3-4 LB.. Like I said they need a new OLB.. Poppinga can come in and cover to spell the guys

It won't be an immediate success IMO.. But not a huge drop off from thier horrible D last year

My buddy is pretty excited and was calling for more of it last year
    In the long run, they do have some players that will fit the scheme, but as you said, there will be some dropoff........

Again, to limit some of that dropoff they might be active in the FA market......

Haynesworth, Suggs, Dansby, Scott etc would all be improvements on what they have and the left overs could provide depth/rotation.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast