Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

3-4 defense sacking Kampman's impact

[size=13pt]3-4 defense sacking Kampman's impact[/size]

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
    Posted: Oct. 7, 2009

Green Bay — Watching from the sidelines as Minnesota Vikings defensive end Jared Allen wreaked havoc against the Green Bay Packers with 4.5 sacks Monday night, Aaron Kampman acknowledged it harkened back to some of his own performances.
    Kampman isn't the sole person responsible for creating pressure on the quarterback, but his lack of production has to be a factor in the Packers ranking 28th in third-down defense (43.9%) and dead last in the red zone (75%).
    In the personnel department of the Packers, that might include at least discussing the possibility of trading Kampman before the Oct. 20 trade deadline.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: 3-4 defense sacking Kampman's impact

Hmmmm.
    I wonder if he could be traded!
    I don't think they do it before the deadline.
    I think they would want to give him a little longer to get the feel for the D.

I am not an expert on the defensive scheme, but I wonder if the Pack don't have the right people to run the 3-4.
    Maybe they are getting by with guys like Kampmann for right now and will have to build through the draft.
    Just a thought because their D didn't look impressive the other night.

I think it was D. Sanders that said that he thought the 3-4 also took Woodson and Harris out of their comfort zone of playing up tight on the WRs at the line.

3-4 in Packerland, was it worth it?

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Their defense is responding to the Vikings owning them.
    If you want a chance in the NFL you have to be able to take care of your divisional foes.
    Randy Moss tears them a new ahole on MNF and you see the whoopies get drafted.
    AD tears them up on their field and they switch to a 3-4 and hold him to minimal yards, but, still lost.
    Maybe it will come together for them sometime before the McCarthy starts scrounging for a coordinator job.

..."No, it is what it is so we're going to try to execute our defense the best that we know how," Kampman said Wednesday when asked if his lack of production has been frustrating...
    He never did satisfy his hunger for Favre's taint on Monday night.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"snowinapril" wrote:
    I am not an expert on the defensive scheme, but I wonder if the Pack don't have the right people to run the 3-4.
    Maybe they are getting by with guys like Kampmann for right now and will have to build through the draft.
    well watch Kampman keep dropping back into coverage summed up the 3-4 for the Pack. He looked totally lost and showed how not to use a player that can make a difference. It must have been gut wrenching to see JA tearing things up.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Hmmmm.
    I wonder if he could be traded!
    I don't think they do it before the deadline.
    I think they would want to give him a little longer to get the feel for the D.
    Well, this is the last year of his contract.
    As a defensive end that had 37 sacks over the past three years, his value is through the roof in free agency before this year.
    Maybe in line with Jarred Allen's contract given that that there might not be a salary cap next year.
    Age, side of the line, and declining production might have worked against him a bit.

But it's going to be a big contract next year regardless of the specific amount.
    If he doesn't fit in the scheme - or you're just not sure he fits in the scheme - how do you re-sign him?
    And if you could get a first round pick from a good team like the Falcons?

But the NFL trading deadline is pretty early.
    Still a lot of football left to play after six weeks.

One of the more interesting scenarios in recent memory... a very good player that's not playing well for a pretty good team staring up at two probably better teams in their division.

I think it was D. Sanders that said that he thought the 3-4 also took Woodson and Harris out of their comfort zone of playing up tight on the WRs at the line.
    I've heard quotes from their coaches and such that Woodson is perfect for this system.
    So I don't know.
    Some of it has to be, "why do we suck now?"
    And the easy answer is to blame the system.
    Have to see what happens though.
    It's only been four games.
    Packer fans have another 12 to suffer through.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Shit I'll take him. Line him up at Right end and have a D-line of Kampman, Williams, Williams and Allen. Jesus christ.

Too bad they'd never trade him to us. We were the packers matching our RFA offer from signing him back in the day.. too bad.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Not having him at DE just shows you that the Packers organization is a bunch of morons.

That would be like us putting JA at CB.

Fucken dipshits.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Not having him at DE just shows you that the Packers organization is a bunch of morons.

Fucken dipshits.
    I want to go to Lambeau on Nov. 1 with you.
    We may not make it out alive.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Prophet" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:

fricken dipshits.
    I want to go to Lambeau on Nov. 1 with you.
    We may not make it out alive.
    good idea .. you can baffle the cheeseheads with your surreal words whilst the rest made a quick exit from the ground.. ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    pooh I'll take him. Line him up at Right end and have a D-line of Kampman, Williams, Williams and Allen. Holy Bones!.

Too bad they'd never trade him to us. We were the packers matching our RFA offer from signing him back in the day.. too bad.
    This would be the long lost Purple People Eaters!!!!

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast