Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Youth was served in the draft....

    .....and the Vikings vets have been served notice

    http://www.examiner.com/minnesota-vikings-in-minneapolis/youth-was-served-the-draft-and-the-vikings-vets-have-been-served-notice?CID=obinsite
    At the conclusion of the draft on Saturday, Frazier put everyone on notice--incoming rookies and veterans alike--saying he expects there to be plenty of competition once training camp takes place. He said he doesn't want the new players to be satisfied with just making the team, he expects them to come to camp expecting to compete for a starting job.

    "During the stage when I was the interim head coach, our players were here," said Frazier. "They understand how important competition is to me. If you look at our roster at the end of that season, how we moved some people around and did some different things playing some people who would not have been playing otherwise, they understand how I approach it.



    Continue reading on Examiner.com: Youth was served in the draft and the Vikings vets have been served notice - Minneapolis Minnesota Vikings | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/minnesota-vikings-in-minneapolis/youth-was-served-the-draft-and-the-vikings-vets-have-been-served-notice?CID=obinsite#ixzz1LmG6dKEW

    I like it.

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    What an excellent read.........Thanks my friend. A few comments.....

    Jeff Dugan may be the odd man out.
    I disagree. I think they are gearing up to use alot of multiple (2 and 3) TE sets.

    I look to see them keep all of their TE's/H-backs and sacrifice another spot on the roster for the added cat.

    DT Pat Williams time as a Viking may be coming to an end, given a potential four-game suspension and his age (38). The Vikings selected DT Christian Ballard, and he will push DLs Jimmy Kennedy and Letroy Guion for playing time.
    Even though Bleed doesn't believe me, I think Phat Pat will get a roster spot, in a limited role. The guy I think that will be gone is Evans. He has done crap since he's been here.

    I am thinking that we will see Guion line up in the 1/3 tech UT position with Kdubb next to him.

    Phat Pat will be used a bit in the first half, but I suspect he will see action later in the games, and Guion and Ballard will, along with JK, take most of the reps.

    OL DeMarcus Love and OL Brandon Fusco will push the veterans.
    I think the only OL vets that have a concern are Sully, Coop, Brown, Olsen and Welch.

    My guess, Cook might get a chance to be the starter at C with the backups looking like this....

    LT Mac (Love/Cook)
    LG Hutch (Degeare)
    C Cook (Sully/Fusco)
    RG Herrera (Fusco/Cook)
    RT Load (Love/Cook)

    This would mean that Coops ass is gone, possibly even Sully's, if they think Cook/Fusco combo are good enough (I'm looking for a extra roster spot for the extra TE). Love will fill in as the swing man and Fusco will be a backup at G/C. Mix in Degeare and that is a pretty promising looking line IMHO.

    Again, with the focus heavily on the run, I think Musgrove will want to beef the line up as big as it can get because of the shift away from the ZB'ng scheme.

    Moving Cook to Center would track with that train of thought.

    If Rice returns, Bernard Berrian's contract could make him expendable. Burton is fast and can returns kicks, only adding to his value
    Couldn't agree more.

    I don't like the idea of having a rook out there with a rook at QB, but if you look at how the scheme is going to unfold, there won't be many deep throws IMHO. A bigger, possesion kindof guy, who also adds depth at returner (and most importantly clears some money to resign Rice) is something I could live with.


    Again, thanks for the read.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096818
    What an excellent read.........Thanks my friend. A few comments.....

    Jeff Dugan may be the odd man out.
    I disagree. I think they are gearing up to use alot of multiple (2 and 3) TE sets.

    I look to see them keep all of their TE's/H-backs and sacrifice another spot on the roster for the added cat.
    Is Mills still on the roster?
    DT Pat Williams time as a Viking may be coming to an end, given a potential four-game suspension and his age (38). The Vikings selected DT Christian Ballard, and he will push DLs Jimmy Kennedy and Letroy Guion for playing time.
    Even though Bleed doesn't believe me, I think Phat Pat will get a roster spot, in a limited role. The guy I think that will be gone is Evans. He has done crap since he's been here.
    If they want him back. I'm not saying there's no way he comes back, if Pat wants to be here for a small contract, I'm sure they'll resign him. THeya ren't going to go out and find a Pat-clone though. It's either Pat, or no NT.

    I am thinking that we will see Guion line up in the 1/3 tech UT position with Kdubb next to him.
    Very possible, work in some Ballard. I'm actually quite curious to see hwo they're going to work the DL this year.

    OL DeMarcus Love and OL Brandon Fusco will push the veterans.
    I think the only OL vets that have a concern are Sully, Coop, Brown, Olsen and Welch.
    Herrerra is definitely not off the hook. He's had two poor seasons, now granted, he was hurt, but he needs to step up, otherwise his job is very much up in the air

    My guess, Cook might get a chance to be the starter at C with the backups looking like this....

    LT Mac (Love/Cook)
    LG Hutch (Degeare)
    C Cook (Sully/Fusco)
    RG Herrera (Fusco/Cook)
    RT Load (Love/Cook)
    I would not mind seeing Cook playing some C. I liked what I saw when we gave him a shot, and he's big enough that he can handle getting hit by a big NT.

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096820
    Is Mills still on the roster?
    I'm not carrying him on my spread sheet (yes I have one) and neither is
    Rotoworld.com


    Very possible, work in some Ballard. I'm actually quite curious to see hwo they're going to work the DL this year.
    You know I am as well. Mostly cause I believe Leslie has done such a shitty job as the D-coord in the past.

    Herrerra is definitely not off the hook. He's had two poor seasons, now granted, he was hurt, but he needs to step up, otherwise his job is very much up in the air
    I hear ya on Herrera, but I think it can be taken actually in a different like......For me, he was still pretty effective injured. Considering how he played, when he was hurt, his job is safe especially when you look at what he is getting to start.

    Mix in the desire, for most teams, to keep a unit together for years and years, to maintain consistency, I think this staff will make very few (possibly Center) changes, if any at all.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    gregair13's Avatar
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    14,597

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    I hope Berrian doesn't come back. He might be our worst player. Worst than Tahi
    We're bringing purple back.

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1096985
    I hope Berrian doesn't come back. He might be our worst player. Worst than Tahi
    Hey, I completely forgot about the Tahi thread. How many pages was it? I might need to go bump it to get it going again.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    952

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096822
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096820
    Is Mills still on the roster?
    I'm not carrying him on my spread sheet (yes I have one) and neither is
    Rotoworld.com


    Very possible, work in some Ballard. I'm actually quite curious to see hwo they're going to work the DL this year.
    You know I am as well. Mostly cause I believe Leslie has done such a shitty job as the D-coord in the past.
    Herrerra is definitely not off the hook. He's had two poor seasons, now granted, he was hurt, but he needs to step up, otherwise his job is very much up in the air
    I hear ya on Herrera, but I think it can be taken actually in a different like......For me, he was still pretty effective injured. Considering how he played, when he was hurt, his job is safe especially when you look at what he is getting to start.

    Mix in the desire, for most teams, to keep a unit together for years and years, to maintain consistency, I think this staff will make very few (possibly Center) changes, if any at all.
    Good discussion! I think that there is a ton of promise based on how Leslie's compete to play mantra. The only counterpoint here Marrdro is that Leslie couldve been hamstrung a bit by the head coaches he was working under as it relates to his D Coordinator position. I would further point to when he was named interim HC and seemed to switch up the rotations as well as the calls for the D. I believe that this is more his true identity and Chilly, and Dungy had him sitting in a soft cover 2 shell with little blitzing. Once it was his ship to run he showed a more aggressive style and hopefully we see more of that.

  8. #8
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1096993
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096822
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096820
    Is Mills still on the roster?
    I'm not carrying him on my spread sheet (yes I have one) and neither is
    Rotoworld.com


    Very possible, work in some Ballard. I'm actually quite curious to see hwo they're going to work the DL this year.
    You know I am as well. Mostly cause I believe Leslie has done such a shitty job as the D-coord in the past.
    Herrerra is definitely not off the hook. He's had two poor seasons, now granted, he was hurt, but he needs to step up, otherwise his job is very much up in the air
    I hear ya on Herrera, but I think it can be taken actually in a different like......For me, he was still pretty effective injured. Considering how he played, when he was hurt, his job is safe especially when you look at what he is getting to start.

    Mix in the desire, for most teams, to keep a unit together for years and years, to maintain consistency, I think this staff will make very few (possibly Center) changes, if any at all.
    Good discussion! I think that there is a ton of promise based on how Leslie's compete to play mantra. The only counterpoint here Marrdro is that Leslie couldve been hamstrung a bit by the head coaches he was working under as it relates to his D Coordinator position. I would further point to when he was named interim HC and seemed to switch up the rotations as well as the calls for the D. I believe that this is more his true identity and Chilly, and Dungy had him sitting in a soft cover 2 shell with little blitzing. Once it was his ship to run he showed a more aggressive style and hopefully we see more of that.
    I would agree with you on almost all counts, however, there are several on here who have convinced me of the following:

    a. The Chiller only messed with the Offense.
    b. The Chiller let Leslie have full control of the defense.
    c. The Chiller didn't have anything to do with defensive play calling.

    Additionally, it is pretty clear from the multiple quotes (in the paper) and what he has said on TV and the Radio, coach Pagac was in full control of the defense when it came to weekly game plans and play calling.

    He even stressed that going into the 2011 season, neither he, or our new LB'r coach (Mike S) will interfere with coach Pagac as its his defense to run.

    Again, I agree in part, but from what I've understand, based on the stuff he has put out, he will let the Coordinators do their thing and he will worry about "Big Picture" team things, instead of being the micro manager that Chilly seemed to be.

    And yes, it is a good discussion. Thanks for keeping it going. You know how much I love this stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #9
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097006
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1096993
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096822
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096820
    Is Mills still on the roster?
    I'm not carrying him on my spread sheet (yes I have one) and neither is
    Rotoworld.com


    Very possible, work in some Ballard. I'm actually quite curious to see hwo they're going to work the DL this year.
    You know I am as well. Mostly cause I believe Leslie has done such a shitty job as the D-coord in the past.
    Herrerra is definitely not off the hook. He's had two poor seasons, now granted, he was hurt, but he needs to step up, otherwise his job is very much up in the air
    I hear ya on Herrera, but I think it can be taken actually in a different like......For me, he was still pretty effective injured. Considering how he played, when he was hurt, his job is safe especially when you look at what he is getting to start.

    Mix in the desire, for most teams, to keep a unit together for years and years, to maintain consistency, I think this staff will make very few (possibly Center) changes, if any at all.
    Good discussion! I think that there is a ton of promise based on how Leslie's compete to play mantra. The only counterpoint here Marrdro is that Leslie couldve been hamstrung a bit by the head coaches he was working under as it relates to his D Coordinator position. I would further point to when he was named interim HC and seemed to switch up the rotations as well as the calls for the D. I believe that this is more his true identity and Chilly, and Dungy had him sitting in a soft cover 2 shell with little blitzing. Once it was his ship to run he showed a more aggressive style and hopefully we see more of that.
    I would agree with you on almost all counts, however, there are several on here who have convinced me of the following:

    a. The Chiller only messed with the Offense.
    Who was that?
    b. The Chiller let Leslie have full control of the defense.
    I'm curious where you got that from too
    c. The Chiller didn't have anything to do with defensive play calling.
    I'm fairly certain it's well known that he did.

    Additionally, it is pretty clear from the multiple quotes (in the paper) and what he has said on TV and the Radio, coach Pagac was in full control of the defense when it came to weekly game plans and play calling.
    I bet he was. Fraizer seems like a pretty hands-off, let you do your thing as long as you win type coach. However, remember, this was his scheme. We didn't change schemes as soon as Fraizer was promoted, we just changed how it was utilized.

    He even stressed that going into the 2011 season, neither he, or our new LB'r coach (Mike S) will interfere with coach Pagac as its his defense to run.
    Smart move. In almost any type of business ever, an employee can't do his job properly if the supervisor is consistantly micromanaging everything. I'm willing to bet Fraizer is still involved with the defense, but at a discussion level only. Talk about the opponent, what they think they can do, what plays might work best/worst, etc. He'd be a crappy HC if he didn't do that at least. As far as drawing up a gameplan, I'd say Pagnac will have almost full control over that.

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Youth was served in the draft....

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097007
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097006
    Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1096993
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096822
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096820
    Is Mills still on the roster?
    I'm not carrying him on my spread sheet (yes I have one) and neither is
    Rotoworld.com


    Very possible, work in some Ballard. I'm actually quite curious to see hwo they're going to work the DL this year.
    You know I am as well. Mostly cause I believe Leslie has done such a shitty job as the D-coord in the past.
    Herrerra is definitely not off the hook. He's had two poor seasons, now granted, he was hurt, but he needs to step up, otherwise his job is very much up in the air
    I hear ya on Herrera, but I think it can be taken actually in a different like......For me, he was still pretty effective injured. Considering how he played, when he was hurt, his job is safe especially when you look at what he is getting to start.

    Mix in the desire, for most teams, to keep a unit together for years and years, to maintain consistency, I think this staff will make very few (possibly Center) changes, if any at all.
    Good discussion! I think that there is a ton of promise based on how Leslie's compete to play mantra. The only counterpoint here Marrdro is that Leslie couldve been hamstrung a bit by the head coaches he was working under as it relates to his D Coordinator position. I would further point to when he was named interim HC and seemed to switch up the rotations as well as the calls for the D. I believe that this is more his true identity and Chilly, and Dungy had him sitting in a soft cover 2 shell with little blitzing. Once it was his ship to run he showed a more aggressive style and hopefully we see more of that.
    I would agree with you on almost all counts, however, there are several on here who have convinced me of the following:

    a. The Chiller only messed with the Offense.
    Who was that?
    b. The Chiller let Leslie have full control of the defense.
    I'm curious where you got that from too
    c. The Chiller didn't have anything to do with defensive play calling.
    I'm fairly certain it's well known that he did.
    Additionally, it is pretty clear from the multiple quotes (in the paper) and what he has said on TV and the Radio, coach Pagac was in full control of the defense when it came to weekly game plans and play calling.
    I bet he was. Fraizer seems like a pretty hands-off, let you do your thing as long as you win type coach. However, remember, this was his scheme. We didn't change schemes as soon as Fraizer was promoted, we just changed how it was utilized.

    He even stressed that going into the 2011 season, neither he, or our new LB'r coach (Mike S) will interfere with coach Pagac as its his defense to run.
    Smart move. In almost any type of business ever, an employee can't do his job properly if the supervisor is consistantly micromanaging everything. I'm willing to bet Fraizer is still involved with the defense, but at a discussion level only. Talk about the opponent, what they think they can do, what plays might work best/worst, etc. He'd be a crappy HC if he didn't do that at least. As far as drawing up a gameplan, I'd say Pagnac will have almost full control over that.
    Of course he'd be a crappy HC.

    Truth of the matter is, all of them get a brief from their respective coordinators (ST, D, O) on the game plan leading up to the week and have the right to change any of it.

    As to the red stuff, surely you jest.

    Are you going to sit here and try and tell me that you never once saw someon on here type that the Chiller had a hand in the defense being good since he took over? You've never seen anyone type that the defense was only good cause Tomlin/Leslie were in control of it?

    Gimme a break. Don't make me use the search function.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How Do You Like Your Crow Served?
    By Zero Lombardis in forum Weekly Opponent Talk
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 11:08 AM
  2. Justice was not served!
    By Garland Greene in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 08:23 PM
  3. Vikings look to youth, Draft to bulid!
    By Ddawg84 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
  4. MOVED: Vikings look to youth, Draft to bulid!
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 03:28 PM
  5. Justice is Served
    By MiamiViking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 04:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •