singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Young to make visit

Posted on Wed, Apr. 12, 2006

[size=18px]Young to make visit[/size]

Agent says ex-Texas QB will meet with Vikings next week

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings played host to one of this year's leading quarterback prospects Tuesday when Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler visited Winter Park, and another is on deck.

Texas' Vince Young, considered one of the top three quarterbacks in the April 29-30 NFL draft, along with Cutler and Southern California's Matt Leinart, will be in town to meet with the Vikings on Monday, according to his agent, Major Adams.

Young will be in Tennessee today for a follow-up visit to last month's private workout in Austin, Texas, and Adams predicts he won't make it past the Titans, who own the draft's third overall selection.

The Vikings, looking for a quarterback of the future behind starter Brad Johnson, are slated to pick 17th, but Adams said Young's scheduled one-day visit isn't based on signals that the team is seriously considering moving up in the first round.

"We don't have any indication of that," Adams said. "We just want to come in and talk to as many coaches and visit as many facilities as we can."

Young already has visited Houston, which owns this year's first selection, Arizona, Miami and Baltimore, according to Adams, who said they have additional trips to the New York Jets and Cleveland set for next week.

All those teams are scheduled to pick before the Vikings, who might have to trade into the top two or three to get Young, if their interest is genuine.

"I think he'll probably go to Tennessee," Adams said. "I don't know what's going to happen with that second pick, whether New Orleans is going to keep it or trade it. You never know."

Childress, who said Sunday he wasn't aware of any scheduled meeting with Young, and Vikings officials aren't commenting on these pre-draft player visits, which Tuesday included Memphis running back DeAngelo Williams and Tennessee safety/cornerback Jason Allen in addition to Cutler.

Cutler, regarded as a probable top 12 selection, already has had three visits with Tennessee and is scheduled to meet today with St. Louis, which picks 11th.

He also is set to visit Detroit (ninth) later this week and meet Sunday in Nashville, Tenn., with the Jets (fourth).

Cutler was unavailable for comment, and agent James "Bus" Cook did not respond to a phone call or e-mail seeking comment.

Williams rushed for 3,912 yards and 40 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Memphis despite an extensive injury history that includes a torn knee ligament in 2003 and a broken leg in the 2004 GMAC Bowl.

Draft experts still rate Williams as a mid first-round pick, but running back is not considered a priority for the Vikings, who last month signed free agent Chester Taylor to a four-year, $14.1 million contract.

Medical concerns also could be an issue with Allen, who suffered a season-ending hip injury five games into his senior year at Tennessee.

With experience at cornerback and safety, Allen is projected as a late first-round or second-round pick and could fill a need with the Vikings, short on depth in the secondary following the free-agent loss of cornerback Brian Williams to Jacksonville.

Briefly: The Vikings are scheduled to meet with another quarterback prospect today when Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst visits Winter Park. Whitehurst, the son of former Green Bay quarterback David Whitehurst, is projected as a second- or third-round pick.

• Vikings cornerback Ronyell Whitaker was selected NFL Europe defensive player of the week after intercepting two passes Saturday to help the Rhein Fire beat Hamburg 31-21.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Young to make visit

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Young to make visit

It's good to see us looking at all the QB options out there.

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

i rahter stay put and build a better team then snatch omar in the 2nd round
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

ChiTownVike is offline Hall of Famer

If we got him, I would go nuts!

Doesnt look like it would happen. Oh Well. It will always be a pipe dream

Thank you Josdin for the sig

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Young is looking better every day but i'm still not sure that I want him. I'm starting to fall into the young trap though. He really isn't that much like Michael Vick I just don't think he would be able to run the WCO that well. I'll see what happens and whatever happens happens.

PurpleAttack is offline Waterboy

Maybe Childress is looking for the next Mcnabb? Does Vince Young resemble a "old school" Mcnabb? Remember Childress coached Donavan to the player he is today. With that said do I think Young would be a good fit in our WCO?....nope I dont. Been Riding the Cutler bandwagon for a month now!

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

How about our 1st rounder, our 2nd (not from the Pepp trade), and our 3rd. Check the trade chart, it is pretty equal.

then we could go:

1) Vince Young
    2) Davin Joseph
    3) Rocky McIntosh/Jon Alston/Spencer Havner

I would take that for a day 1. As always, tell me what you think.

Perch56 is offline Pro-Bowler

it would be awesome if we got vince but i dont see it happening