Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Young Free Agents Anxious to Join Vikings

[size=13pt]Sid Hartman: Childress is high on trio of Vikings free agents[/size]

Wade:
    "When I saw Norm Chow and Craig Johnson, their quarterback coach, down at the LSU workout, Norm Chow looked at me and said, 'You took our best wide receiver, you took our only guy who can make plays there in the slot,' " Childress said.
    Shank:
    "He's got skills and ability, and a lot of times those guys just need an opportunity. His [former] tight end coach, Mike Pope, is as good a tight end coach as there is, so he has great training in those three, four years. He has great training in the media area, being in New York City, and he's got the skills and ability -- he can catch it and he can get up the field."
    Ciurciu:
    "He is a very, very good special teams player. He started games there, and he's good enough to play linebacker," Childress said. "He's the heart and soul of your special teams unit right away. He's gonna be a great guy to imitate if you're coming in, you're saying 'geez, I got a chance to make this team but I've got to contribute on special teams' -- that's the guy that you're gonna follow."

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i really like the signings that we have made..they all fill a void, and they have talent..i just wish we had been able to add a little bit more, but thats what the draft is for

a special teams monster, a te that has some ability to catch and stretch the field, and a receiver than has proven he wont drop the ball are all things we needed..we have bigger needs than that, but nonetheless, those were needs that also had to be and have been addressed

we will start signing the high profile guys when the right ones that we want become available..i think we didnt get anybody this year because nobody could put us over the top for the amount of money we wouldve had to spend..were waiting for those top of the line sort of guys to become available (see last season, richardson and hutchinson, 2 of the top players at their positions, nobody like that was available this year)
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Hawkeye23 is offline Starter

these signings are good but no where near acceptable to our needs we still need someone on the right side and a dlineman unless udeze does good and we need someone to replace harris if Greenway cant do it and we need a young safety and a cornerback...

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

[size=11pt]This just in (number assignments)[/size]

WR Bobby Wade #19
    TE Visanthe Shiancoe #81

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Hawkeye23 is offline Starter

uuhhhh for some reason i hate when wr's arent in the 80's for their numbers

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Talk is cheap...I will reserve judgment until they hit the field...but I would still like to see some more talent at the WR spot!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

I agree that talk is cheep, and that Childress could possibly not be the real deal.However I am also smart enough to realize the talent the man brought in last year.All last offseason people ridiculed Childress and Co for signings of Chester Taylor, Ben Leber, and Billy McMullen.All 3 of those guys have worked out in some way shape or form for us.Taylor looks like a preimier RB in this league.Leber was a playmaker when he steped on the field.McMullen was our most CLUTCH (thats right, c-l-u-t-c-h) receiver on 3rd down last season.I can think back to multiple games where he had several 3rd down catches.

So this offseason we dont dive in and over pay for talented non cover 2/WCO players.
    We didnt go out and force the issue at WR.We took what we felt was the best out there and moved on.Same goes for other positions.Just because we have the money, does not mean we need to spend it.Instead we pay modest salaries to up and coming players, who happen to fit our system very well.(Once again this is where Taylor and Leber come into play) Norm Chow is bum, for him to mention that Wade says alot.

I think we all see Childress' genuis through last years FA.And I strongly beleive we'll see it again through this years as well.My main point is every FA the guy got for us last year, pretty much worked out.So why all these doubters when it comes to this year?Brad didnt get hit in the head this offseason, he didnt have expirmental brain surgery.I trust that he has brought in some quality guys.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

My only complaint with the offseason moves is lack of WR signings.
    I still can't get over the fact that they let Marcus Robinson go.
    I think the idea is Wade will replace him, but unless we get a big 1st year impact wide receiver in the draft... *cough CJ cough* (which most likely won't happen, and even if it did, it would cost to much.) we are going to be weaker at WR this year than last.
    That is scary.

EDIT:
    I shouldn't say that is my only complaint, but its the only one that really bothers me.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    I think the idea is Wade will replace him, but unless we get a big 1st year impact wide receiver in the draft... *cough CJ cough* (which most likely won't happen, and even if it did, it would cost to much.) we are going to be weaker at WR this year than last.
    That is scary.
    Is that even possible?
    Be weaker at WR than last year?
    I doubt it.
    Nowhere to go but up.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"Prophet" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    That is scary.
    Is that even possible?
    Be weaker at WR than last year?
    I doubt it.
    Nowhere to go but up.
    I dont know... I'd like to think it's not possible but where do we sit now compared to last years WR roster?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast