Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Young Free Agents Anxious to Join Vikings

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Re: Young Free Agents Anxious to Join Vikings

This is a good article, in that most important info is presented; i.e. what are the skills sets and experiences of these two players.
    Obviously, Shiancoe is a potential starter, while Ciurciu and Wade are backups, unless the Vikings use a slot receiver often in 2007.

The following quote hints at why rebuilding a team takes a few years...

" ..... Obviously I had some experience with him in the last three years and then this happened to be a contract year for him."

..... "
    -
    Childress, on the reason for signing Shiancoe

The players that a coach wants on his roster are not always immediately available because the average length of a contract is 3-4 years.
    So, a few years will pass
    before a coach can add all the (role) players he wants ( without taking the more expensive route of trading ) when their contracts expire.
    Trades are used less often during rebuilding because a team has to give up 'equal value' to acquire a player to fill an area of need.
    That usually means a surplus of player value exists in another position, e.g. RB, which rarely occurs during rebuilding.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"Purplexing" wrote:
    This is a good article, in that most important info is presented; i.e. what are the skills sets and experiences of these two players.
    Obviously, Shiancoe is a potential starter, while Ciurciu and Wade are backups, unless the Vikings use a slot receiver often in 2007.

The following quote hints at why rebuilding a team takes a few years...

" ..... Obviously I had some experience with him in the last three years and then this happened to be a contract year for him."

..... "
    -
    Childress, on the reason for signing Shiancoe

The players that a coach wants on his roster are not always immediately available because the average length of a contract is 3-4 years.
    So, a few years will pass
    before a coach can add all the (role) players he wants ( without taking the more expensive route of trading ) when their contracts expire.
    Trades are used less often during rebuilding because a team has to give up 'equal value' to acquire a player to fill an area of need.
    That usually means a surplus of player value exists in another position, e.g. RB, which rarely occurs during rebuilding.
    i don't seiously think coaches are waiting for specific players to come free, I believe in this case, BC went for a guy he knew something about, who has some skills that could help in the offense and who was cheap enough to take a chance on. I wouldn't read too much into that.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I'm sorry but I am not enamored with any of these guys. I hope they do well for us though.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

eh, i'll leave my judgement on these three for when i can get a closer look when they come to mankato

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Wade is probably going to be in the slot as childress stated. A non explosive blue collar guy who has no buisiness handling or returning punts. A guy who can catch the ball. He is considered slow for his size.

All three Signings are blue collar signings imo. They may work out they may not. This is the NFL where contracts are not guaranteed in full. If they can't contribute you cut them loose.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I know nothing about these guys, so I won't complain until I see them play.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

"I'm looking forward to having fun and helping this team win. I just don't want to win, I want to stomp people out and dominate. I want this team to just take control of the conference and win a lot of games."
    -Shank

NICE!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

haha, lovin that attitude

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    "I'm looking forward to having fun and helping this team win. I just don't want to win, I want to stomp people out and dominate. I want this team to just take control of the conference and win a lot of games."
    -Shank

NICE!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast