Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    999

    Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    Collegiate WRs we Viking fans have been discussing may be rated high on the draft boards partly because they played with a great QB who threw the football well.
    Or, a few lower rated WRs may be 'sleepers' because they played on a team with a QB unable to consistently get the ball to them due to lesser skills or poor gameplanning or playcalling by the coach(es).

    Does anyone have any insight into the impacts of the performance of their teammate QBs, or coaches, on the current draft values of CJohnson, Bowe, Ginn, Meachem, Jarrett, etc. ?

    I think this is why great WRs, like Jerry Rice, were overlooked by some draft experts and talent scouts.
    The Vikings may now have a better WR coach (I forgot his name and I'm too lazy to look it up right now
    ....Stewart?) who might provide better insights into collegiate WRs that Studwell, Spielman and Childress have been trying to rate for the Vikings draft board.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

  2. #2
    tb04512's Avatar
    tb04512 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    i know cj had a bad qb, also he did very well at his pro day with other qb's throwing to him, also maybe ginn overrated because of the fact him and troy smith went to the same highschool together couldve just been chemestry from playing together for years... not sure about the others.

    Thanks josdin00

  3. #3
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #4
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    This is a really good question.
    I am sure it happens at least to some degree.
    In the same way a great WR can make an OK QB look good.

    In theory I think this is why we pay scouts so much damn money to evaluate players.
    We are trusting them to look past outside effects and evaluate true talent.

    I will say that the type of QB the WR had in college affects the speed of his transition into the NFL.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  5. #5
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Collegiate WRs we Viking fans have been discussing may be rated high on the draft boards partly because they played with a great QB who threw the football well.
    Or, a few lower rated WRs may be 'sleepers' because they played on a team with a QB unable to consistently get the ball to them due to lesser skills or poor gameplanning or playcalling by the coach(es).

    Does anyone have any insight into the impacts of the performance of their teammate QBs, or coaches, on the current draft values of CJohnson, Bowe, Ginn, Meachem, Jarrett, etc. ?

    I think this is why great WRs, like Jerry Rice, were overlooked by some draft experts and talent scouts.
    The Vikings may now have a better WR coach (I forgot his name and I'm too lazy to look it up right now
    ....Stewart?) who might provide better insights into collegiate WRs that Studwell, Spielman and Childress have been trying to rate for the Vikings draft board.
    NO...because Reggie Ball SUCKING didn't affect where Calvin Johnson will end up.

    And LSU's WRs didn't play any different when Matt Flynn stepped in for JaMarcus in the 2006 Peach Bowl (when LSU DESTROYED Thug U!!!
    ;D)
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  6. #6
    PurplePeopleEaters's Avatar
    PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    Reggie Ball sucks so the question on Calvin is null. John David Booty is decent. Troy Smith is incredible. Jamarcus Russell is really good as well. Erik Ainge is alright.

    There you go.

  7. #7
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    Not sure if it really fits here, however, this thread got me do digging into it.

    I wanted to find out were the top receivers in history were drafted.
    Columns read Name, Yards, Round:


    Jerry Rice 22895 1rst
    Tim Brown 14934 1rst
    James Lofton 14004 1rst
    Cris Carter 13899 4th
    Henry Ellard 13777 2nd
    Marvin Harrison 13697 1rst
    Isacc Bruce 13376 2nd
    Andre Reed 13198 4th
    Steve Largent 13089 4th
    Irving Fryar 12785 1rst
    Art Monk 12721 1rst
    Jimmy Smith 12287 1rst
    Charlie Joiner 12146 4th
    Michael Irvin 11904 1rst
    Don Maynard 11834 9th
    Terrell Owens 11715 3rd
    Rod Smith 11389 Undrafted FA
    Keenan McCardell 11117 12th

    I wasn't quite satisfied with that so I did some more digging and came up with this article.

    http://www.drufantasyfootball.com/dr...ecievers_.html

    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  8. #8
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    I think this is why great WRs, like Jerry Rice, were overlooked by some draft experts and talent scouts.
    How is being a first-round draft choice while coming from a Division I-AA school "being overlooked"?

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  9. #9
    snowinapril's Avatar
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    13,404

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Not sure if it really fits here, however, this thread got me do digging into it.

    I wanted to find out were the top receivers in history were drafted.
    Columns read Name, Yards, Round:


    Jerry Rice 22895 1rst
    Tim Brown 14934 1rst
    James Lofton 14004 1rst
    Cris Carter 13899 4th
    Henry Ellard 13777 2nd
    Marvin Harrison 13697 1rst
    Isacc Bruce 13376 2nd
    Andre Reed 13198 4th
    Steve Largent 13089 4th
    Irving Fryar 12785 1rst
    Art Monk 12721 1rst
    Jimmy Smith 12287 1rst
    Charlie Joiner 12146 4th
    Michael Irvin 11904 1rst
    Don Maynard 11834 9th
    Terrell Owens 11715 3rd
    Rod Smith 11389 Undrafted FA
    Keenan McCardell 11117 12th

    I wasn't quite satisfied with that so I did some more digging and came up with this article.

    http://www.drufantasyfootball.com/dr...ecievers_.html

    Moss = first round, he didn't make that list.
    Rod Smith was mostly work ethic, still a positive.

  10. #10
    Del Rio is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    881

    Re: Are WRs perceived value distorted by their QBs skill?

    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Collegiate WRs we Viking fans have been discussing may be rated high on the draft boards partly because they played with a great QB who threw the football well.
    Or, a few lower rated WRs may be 'sleepers' because they played on a team with a QB unable to consistently get the ball to them due to lesser skills or poor gameplanning or playcalling by the coach(es).

    Does anyone have any insight into the impacts of the performance of their teammate QBs, or coaches, on the current draft values of CJohnson, Bowe, Ginn, Meachem, Jarrett, etc. ?

    I think this is why great WRs, like Jerry Rice, were overlooked by some draft experts and talent scouts.
    The Vikings may now have a better WR coach (I forgot his name and I'm too lazy to look it up right now
    ....Stewart?) who might provide better insights into collegiate WRs that Studwell, Spielman and Childress have been trying to rate for the Vikings draft board.
    This can be said for NFL players just as much as Collegiate players.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

    My posts are worth 6 of yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Football's new skill players play on defensive side
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2008, 09:25 AM
  2. Peterson shows bursts of skill
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 06:41 PM
  3. NFL draft: Return skill now an asset that can't be overlooked
    By cogitans in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 06:55 AM
  4. Vikings' DB Edwards ready to showcase his skill
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-17-2006, 02:13 AM
  5. Pro Bowl Skill Challenge winners?
    By RandyMoss8404 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 05:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •