Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    tclawmen is offline Starter

Would you still take Merling with the 17th pick?

I read that Phillip Merling had sports hernia surgery in the last 2 weeks. I dont know what the recovery time is for that type of surgery but I remember Birk having substantial difficulty with the same injury. I think Merling's stock has slipped a little due to the surgery and not working out at the combine which might make him available to us at 17. He is still a talented player at a position we need but assuming all the other top flight DE's are gone, do we pull the trigger on him or not? I would still make the selection due to his upside but what do you think?

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: Would you still take Merling with the 17th pick?

The short answer, yes

The long?.. Yes.. He is the defensive end on this years draft that has the skills to start, that also has the measurables that we need.. Right now he seems like the defensive end that fits what we need to do.

The positives about Merling is that he can play the LDE, while moving back to the RDE when Udeze comes back, its kind of a two for one in him..

Ray Edwards had 5 sacks last year, he could proberly have gotten 8 sacks or something, had he played the final 4 games.

Erasmus James is still a wildcard in this situation, while Brian Robison can do some work also at RDE, in a rotation with those other guys.

Merlins is scheduled to work out for NFL teams before the draft, so i dont think that the surgery has damaged him to much if he already can do a workout, so quickly. He will be ready for camp and be ready for the season..

His injury is not a knee, shoulder or leg injury, so it shouldnt harm his mobility..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

You got to think they'd do a pretty in depth physical with him when they bring in folks for the "interview."
    Certainly fills a need, has good production, good size and potential.
    My feeling, is that its probably a good thing that he went ahead and got the operation done on his own.
    Still 18 or 19 weeks til preseason...good chance he's ready by then.
    Of course, like the collarbone last year, we probably won't hear much about this until after the draft.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I almost want to believe that they go ahead and take the guy regardless of length he will be out.

At some point he will be ready to go and he does fit the bill for what we need.

Maybe Jargo can give us a bit of insight into how long this type of surgery takes to heal as I've heard everything from a long time to he will/should be ready to go for Pre-season.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purplemania is offline Asst. Coach

I don't know...I've heard to stay away from Merling. He's slow and add that injury to the problem, it might be our best interest to wait until the later rounds to address our DE issue (Chris Ellis anyone?).

Even if Merling asn't hurt, I think his lack of explosiveness will not help us anyways.
    Because I'm a Vikings fan, they are that much sexier.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

The superstitious side of me says wait until the second or third round to pick up a DE when there is still plenty of talent.
    I just think there is some sort of curse on Vikings first round DE.
    Now if Merling drops to the second round................

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"Schutz" wrote:
    The superstitious side of me says wait until the second or third round to pick up a DE when there is still plenty of talent.
    I just think there is some sort of curse on Vikings first round DE.
    Now if Merling drops to the second round................
    lol, I feel the exact some way sometimes. But defensive end is too big of a need for the Vikings, to pass up in the first round.Yes, we should take Phillip Merling despite the sports hernia surgery. If it was THAT big of a deal, I'm pretty sure we would have heard a little bit more about it by now.

But even if we don't get Merling, I love our chances at drafting one of the top flight defensive ends with the 17th overall pick. This draft is all about defensive lineman, especially tackles. But in general, this is a great overall class of defensive lineman.

For whatever reason, I feel the Vikings will have a shot to draft one of the top DE's, whether it's Harvey or Merling. Most of the teams that select before us don't desperately need a DE (like we do), so I like our chances.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

harvey will be off the board..i honestly dont think he will drop anywhere close to us..if we still have our first rounder come draft day, then i guess merling is the guy
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

"olson_10" wrote:
    harvey will be off the board..i honestly dont think he will drop anywhere close to us..if we still have our first rounder come draft day, then i guess merling is the guy
    You're probably right.

But if you look at most mock drafts and websites that rank defensive ends, most of them say Merling is better than Harvey. Not to mention they have him taken before Harvey in the upcoming in NFL Draft.

And yes, I know it's just a mock, but I thought I'd point that out.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"TimmyT" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    You're probably right.

But if you look at most mock drafts and websites that rank defensive ends, most of them say Merling is better than Harvey. Not to mention they have him taken before Harvey in the upcoming in NFL Draft.

And yes, I know it's just a mock, but I thought I'd point that out.
    It's hard to say that one is better than the other when they are really two different critters.
    Heck some of the web sites list Harvey as a OLB/DE best suited for a 3-4 type of offense were Merling is a guy that can initially play both DE positions in a base 4-3 as well as maybe move inside during specific 3rd and long types of scenariio.

Derrick Harvey 6'4, 250 pund Florida 1A
    Phillip Merling 6'5, 270 pund Clemson 1B

I would rather say that Merling is a good end who can play both positions wereas Harvey is more of a Edge rush end who can really get to the QB but might not be able to play every down.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast