Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Without Rice, the Vikings need a new plan at WR

Please do not sign a diva receiver (ocho, v.jackson, TO, etc). I would rather keep Rice and lose Edwards. Average D-end are not that hard to find. clear #1 receivers are.
    We're bringing purple back.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

I am willing to bet if and when football starts it will fall under last years rules, which would mean Rice and Edwards are RFA's and they hold first round tenders.

I am thinking that Edwards ends up in Atlanta and we get some sort of compensation for him.

Who knows what will happen with Rice, I would like to see us resign him but if we get a first round pick for him from a crappy team that would work as well.

I believe our top priority is to extend Peterson's contract and Greenway's contract once football activities begin. That is why I am unsure about what will happen with Rice.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Best case scenario, is we sign Rice, and pick up a VJ, or S Smith. The lockout is giving Plax a chance to get ready for football and he could be a longshot for us to consider. Sadly it will mean losing Ray, but I think that's pretty much a done deal.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "gregair13" #1098083
    Please do not sign a diva receiver (ocho, v.jackson, TO, etc). I would rather keep Rice and lose Edwards. Average D-end are not that hard to find. clear #1 receivers are.
    That's with you assuming he is average. Average DEs don't lead the league in hurries and hits on Qbs.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach

The shirt curse again?
    Purple till i die

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

In the battle of Rice vs. Edwards I choose Rice, simply because I believe we're in more desperate need for a WR than we are a DE.

There's no real evidence suggesting that either of these guys' levels of production are resultant of the people around them or their own ability.

Given those circumstances, you retain the player you need more, and we need Rice more.

There's also a chance that he turns into a huge dickhole and decides he's just going to leave, if he can. If that were to happen, I'd like to go after Braylon Edwards if he leaves the Jets, or go the Moss route again.

I think we can also make upgrades at the receiver position opposite of Rice(or his replacement.) Bernard Berrian and Greg Lewis aren't getting the job done. Berrian's a one trick pony that can't stay healthy for long enough to perform that trick.

My ideal-type receiver for that spot is a tough guy with reliable hands and blocking skills. I love Jerricho Cotchery from the Jets, but he's unavailable. Early Doucet or Legedu Naanee would be good fits IMO.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not a big believer in Rice. He's too slow to be the field stretcher, and he's only really had one good season. Sure, he has good hands, but not Cris Carter good.

Fact is, I think he's replaceable.

I agree that Berrian isn't worth keeping.

Hell, let's speed this up and say that the only guy I really like is Harvin. I hoped for more from Camarillo, but didn't see it last season. After those two, the rest can be flushed.

IMO, we should get Moss and any other viable FA vets we can possibly land. Ponder, or whomever will be QB'ing this team, won't stand a chance if we don't give them some weapons.

Too bad we have so many other needs...

Caine

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I think that the upcoming workouts put some strain on the coaching staff on how to deal with the WR position.

If Ponder gains some comfort with the receivers who show up at the workouts, do you really want to remove that familiarity from him before the season starts? If we can ink Rice to a long-term deal that's relatively light up front cap-wise, I think it would be huge.

Rice may lack elite speed, but a with his size, leaping ability, body control, hands and timing he doesn't "need" it.

A big target with the traits listed above is a security blanket for a young QB. If they develop some chemistry before any team activities even begin I don't think it would be wise to separate them.

Damn this lockout.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Not sure that it comes down to Edwards or Rice. Ray says he won't play for less than his backup. I think you can change the word backup to replacement. I think he's been replaced. Remember, Ray was in contract negotiations for awhile before the lock out and couldn't come to an agreement.

Our wide receiver corps is a team weakness. Harvin is special when he doesn't have migraines and Rice has special skills that no other receiver on this team has. If Rice could stay healthy, he could become something special.
    But even so, his agent is going to seek superstar money for him and Rice himself may not want to sign with a last place team that is rebuilding with a rookie QB.

It seems as if the front office thinks both Edwards and Rice are going to end up restricted with the new agreement.

The rest of the receivers are nothing special.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jmcdon00 is online now Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

I think Ray should be a higher priority than Rice. Every year it seems there are several pro bowl caliber WR that switch teams, DE seems harder to fill via free agency or trade, IMHO. I think Rice could be replaced with Ocho cinco, TO, Braylon edwards, plexico burress, randy moss, or some other malcontent via trade.

I do think though that Ray and Rice will be granted free agency simply because they have a vote in collective bargaining. In the end I think the players will settle for more now, but less for the next generation of players. A rookie cap is almost certain due to the rookies not have a vote in the new CBA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast