Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Without Rice, the Vikings need a new plan at WR

Without Rice, the Vikings will need a new plan at WR

Signs don't currently point towards the Vikings re-signing Rice when (if ever) the lockout lifts. Without Rice in the lineup, things could go even further downhill then they already did in 2010. Especially with the possibility of a rookie quarterback at the helm in 2011, there is a huge need for true receiving threats in their arsenal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-8502253

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Without Rice, the Vikings need a new plan at WR

I would like to see if they could land Ocho Cinco. He still has talent and I believe he could bring some life to our WR corpse.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Need to replace Rice with a receiver with similar skills. Tall with good hands, and able to go above the defenders in the end zone. A big posession type receiver.
    VJ,TO,Burress types. Not really suggesting any of these guys as much as the type of receiver.
    Except VJ.

I'm still hoping we find a way to keep Rice despite his inability to stay healthy.
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

duvaldomo is offline Coach

plaxico burress? im not sure if he will be 100% football ready but he reminds me alot of rice

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

My gut feeling has been that we kinda can't afford to keep both Ray and Rice, so keeping one is as good as it'll get. In the past, we've spent money to keep our guys when appropriate, so I kinda think we'll try to keep one.

So far this "offseason," we've resigned Robison and drafted 2 other guys with Left DE experience. At WR we only added a 7th round flyer-pick/project WR in the draft and a CFL guy with potential in Emmanuel Arceneaux. It would seem keeping Rice would now move to top priority...?

THere is no questioning the kid's talent! He'd be a superstar if he stayed healthy. But paying top dollar receiver money to a guy who isn't playing year after year could cripple our team (assuming we still have a cap of some sort...you can only spend so much and still make money after all!) So we'll need to protect the team a lil by giving him a moderate signing bonus but large end-of-season roster and/or incentive bonuses. That way, he gets the money he wants, but if the injury bug lingers on, at some point, we can cut our losses before Free Agency starts and give him a chance to sign elsewhere.

I do have high hopes that Arceneaux can be a great surprise for us. He's got good size at 6'2/210 lbs, and his numbers have been solid the last 2 years, which would seem to indicate that he has decent hands at the least!

63 recps 858 yards 7 TDs and
    67 recps 1114 yards 5 TDs

Pretty sure thats more receptions than any Viking achieved last season! hmy:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Avd71SjPv5Q6R0vtzH4cIIiYvMJ_?slug=ycn-8505553

I see Harvin better as our slot and slash guy. I think Camarillo could be a pretty good backup for the inside routes. IF we resign Rice, we've got two outside guys with size, and Berrian can be more of a backup/4th. I still wouldn't be quick to cut him, cuz we've already paid the bonus money, and our WR core has been plagued with injuries too often. Maybe, we even keep 6 again...for backup there, and at KR/PR with JJ or Burton.

Then again, if we're paying the big bucks, maybe we are better with a sturdier built, but slightly more questionable character Vincent Jackson or Burress...? My first choice would be a Healthy Rice!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Here's a lil more on part of the "new plan"

Arceneaux quickly carved out a niche as a slotback with the B.C. Lions, catching 130 passes for 1,972 yards and 12 touchdowns over two seasons. His combination of size (6-foot-2, 215 pounds) and speed (his agent, Bardia Ghahremani, said Arceneaux was clocked between 4.44 and 4.52 seconds in the 40-yard dash at recent workouts) caught the attention of NFL scouts, including George Paton, the Vikings' director of player personnel.

"I'm a receiver that can catch, run and also block," Arceneaux said. "I think blocking has a lot do with it too. It's opening it up for other people. ... I don't mind being an all-around guy."
    http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Notebook_Talks_with_Frazier_landed_Emmanuel_Arcene aux_in_Minnesota012411
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Big C2 is offline Training Camp

I sure hope we can keep Rice. He is a young elite WR. Having him and Harvin along with Shancoe and Rudolph will make it easier for Ponder to step in and have a decent year. Rice is the kind of reciever that will catch the wayward throw and help boost the QBs confidence.
    None

Viking-Swede is offline Waterboy

Hello from Sweden.

I believe that Rice will be resigned very quick after the lockout lifts and he is our priority.
    In the Ray-Rice discussion i dont believe the organisation even have discussions who they should resign first.

Rice are a big part in the development of our new Franchise QB.
    They added a TE in Rudolph to help Ponder so i dont think Rice will go.
    None

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "duvaldomo" #1098044
    plaxico burress? im not sure if he will be 100% football ready but he reminds me alot of rice
    I would take a chance and bring in Burress, he is clearly not a smart guy (who shoots them self?!) but he is a pretty damn good wideout.. better than most of what we had here last season.. ala Lewis, Basket etc

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Johnson14" #1098071
    Quote Originally Posted by "duvaldomo" #1098044
    I would take a chance and bring in Burress, he is clearly not a smart guy (who shoots them self?!) but he is a pretty damn good wideout.. better than most of what we had here last season.. ala Lewis, Basket etc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3DFgItKC4
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast