Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Hawkeye23 is offline Starter

Re: The Window for Calvin Johnson has been opened

"Nephilim" wrote:
    I am still sticking to my guns. "Draft Brady Quinn at seven.
    right behind you

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Value Is As Value Does (Article from Scout)

http://vikings.scout.com/2/631420.html

Didn't think a new thread needed to be created so I stuck this in here.
    Interesting read.
    :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

TY Marrdo for posting that link.
    I think it says it all!
    This franchise was dismantled by the Herschel Walker trade of 1989.
    Anyone with HALF A BRAIN should admit that Calvin Johnson would not be anywhere near as expensive as it was for the Vikings to acquire the disservices of Walker!
    Stating it to be smart to hang onto draft picks that are nowadays limited between 7-12 depending on how many multiple selections a team is awarded through compensation or trades, is about as weak as saying Calvin Johnson is not worth the risk!
    LOL!

I doubt this franchise could ever pull off another Herschel Walker debacle, (1 player for 18?) http://vikings.scout.com/2/11653.html and I am in the camp that believes that if Calvin Johnson is truly this years best player, then he is certainly worth giving up your first days picks for! Heck, I would have no problem of them including a 2nd or 3rd round future pick!

All of us fans realize that this team is more than one player away from regaining some semblance of their former selves, pre-1989, and it certainly will take more than a player of Johnsons' ability to strengthen our offense, but in the grand scheme of REBUILDING, as this team certainly is doing, getting a player like Calvin Johnson is of greater value than getting two additional players who may never develop into anything more than journeymen in the NFL!

I'll leave this list of former Viking draft picks whose value never amounted to anything more than a roster spot while playing for the team, for those that question the value of a trade up for JOHNSON!
    By the way, the only team I want to see the Vikes attempt to do this with is the Browns, who everyone knows would be happy to draft either Quinn or Peterson with the 7th pick!
    JMHO! ;D

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School
    1 16 Duane Clemons DE California Talk about a bust, he never amounted to much
    2 45 James Manley DT Vanderbilt I thought he was a 4th rounder, what do I know!

1 20 Dwayne Rudd OLB Alabama Solid pick, but in the end worth only one contract
    2 49 Torrian Gray DB Virginia Tech IF, IF, IF, he hadn't blown out his knee
    3 78 Stalin Colinet DE Boston College Athletic player with a CONCUSSION PROBLEM

2 51 Kailee Wong ILB Stanford I like Kailee and thought he should have been kept
    3 80 Ramos McDonald CB New Mexico Anyone remember him? LOL!

1 29 Dimitrius Underwood DT Michigan State Now we're talking!
    MR. AWOL!!!

2 44 Jim Kleinsasser TE North Dakota I thought Jimmy was better than he actually is!

1 25 Chris Hovan DT Boston College Yeah, one contract and gone!
    SEE YAH!

2 55 Fred Robbins DT Wake Forest Isn't he still playing for the Giants and for big $$$$?
    2 56 Michael Boireau DE Miami A reach is a reach especially for an UNKNOWN!
    3 88 Doug Chapman RB Marshall The first Mewelde Moore!
    LOL!!!

1 27 Michael Bennett RB Wisconsin I never liked the pick and in the end, he's gone too!
    2 57 Willie Howard DE Stanford A solid pick and could have been special if not for the injury/cheap shot that ruined his career!
    3 69 Eric Kelly CB Kentucky A DB from Kentucky?
    LOL!
    Right!

1 7 Bryant McKinnie T Miami Ego the size of his helmet, held out and still gets paid!
    I never minded this selection, but he certainly hasn't lived up to his pre-draft hype!
    NOT ONE PRO BOWL YET HE GETS PAID LIKE IT!!!!

2 38 Raonall Smith OLB Washington State What is it with injury proned players and the Vikings?
    3 70 Willie Offord SS South Carolina I thought Offord was misused his first year, but it doesn't matter now, he's TOAST TOO!

3 71 Nate Burleson WR NevadaCoulda kept him had they upped his offer before Seattle tried their reverse poison pill!
    LOL!!!
    NOW LOOK AT OUR WR DEPTH

1 20 Kenechi Udeze DE Southern CaliforniaAgain with the injured players, WHY?
    2 48 Dontarrious Thomas MLB Auburn Has anybody seen DT around Winter Park?
    This guy has disappered and maybe for the better!

3 88 Darrion Scott DE Ohio State I only put Darrion here to compare his value to Kenechi's and James!
    This player has done more for the team than two, 2, 2 first round picks have! :

1 7 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina Sorry TW!
    It's not your fault the Vikings can't draft!

1 18 Erasmus James DE Wisconsin Another player with injury history and it will be 3 years before we can actually evaluate his potential! :
    2 49 Marcus Johnson T Mississippi I actually like Marcus, but somethings wrong between his ears if he somehow can't perform on this club!
    3 80 Dustin Fox CB Ohio State NEED I SAY ANYMORE?!!!!

1 17 Chad Greenway LB Iowa INJURY BUG!!!
    WELCOME TO THE VIKINGS!

2 51 Ryan Cook T New Mexico A reach is a reach, coulda been had in the 4th round!
    2 64 Tarvaris Jackson QB Alabama StateOh, yeah, lets trade up into the 2nd round for Tarvaris but not consider DOING THE SAME FOR A FRANCHISE PLAYER LIKE JOHNSON!!!
    : : :

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    TY Marrdo for posting that link.
    I think it says it all!
    This franchise was dismantled by the Herschel Walker trade of 1989.
    Anyone with HALF A BRAIN should admit that Calvin Johnson would not be anywhere near as expensive as it was for the Vikings to acquire the disservices of Walker!
    Stating it to be smart to hang onto draft picks that are nowadays limited between 7-12 depending on how many multiple selections a team is awarded through compensation or trades, is about as weak as saying Calvin Johnson is not worth the risk!
    LOL!

I doubt this franchise could ever pull off another Walker debaclehttp://vikings.scout.com/2/11653.html and I am in the camp that believes that if Calvin Johnson is truly this years best player, then he is certainly worth giving up your first days picks for! Heck, I would have no problem of them including a 2nd or 3rd round future pick!

All of us fans realize that this team is more than one player away from regaining some semblance of their former selves, pre-1989, and it certainly will take more than a player of Johnsons' ability to strengthen our offense, but in the grand scheme of REBUILDING, as this team certainly is doing, getting a player like Calvin Johnson is of greater value than getting two additional players who may never develop into anything more than journeymen in the NFL!

I'll leave this list of former Viking draft picks whose value never amounted to anything more than a roster spot while playing for the team, for those that question the value of a trade up for JOHNSON!
    By the way, the only team I want to see the Vikes attempt to do this with is the Browns, who everyone knows would be happy to draft either Quinn or Peterson with the 7th pick!
    JMHO! ;D

1 16 Duane Clemons DE California Talk about a bust, he never amounted to much
    2 45 James Manley DT Vanderbilt I thought he was a 4th rounder, what do I know!

1 20 Dwayne Rudd OLB Alabama Solid pick, but in the end worth only one contract
    2 49 Torrian Gray DB Virginia Tech IF, IF, IF, he hadn't blown out his knee
    3 78 Stalin Colinet DE Boston College Athletic player with a CONCUSSION PROBLEM

2 51 Kailee Wong ILB Stanford I like Kailee and thought he should have been kept
    3 80 Ramos McDonald CB New Mexico Anyone remember him? LOL!

1 29 Dimitrius Underwood DT Michigan State Now we're talking!
    MR. AWOL!!!

2 44 Jim Kleinsasser TE North Dakota I thought Jimmy was better than he actually is!

1 25 Chris Hovan DT Boston College Yeah, one contract and gone!
    SEE YAH!

2 55 Fred Robbins DT Wake Forest Isn't he still playing for the Giants and for big $$$$?
    2 56 Michael Boireau DE Miami A reach is a reach especially for an UNKNOWN!
    3 88 Doug Chapman RB Marshall The first Mewelde Moore!
    LOL!!!

1 27 Michael Bennett RB Wisconsin I never liked the pick and in the end, he's gone too!
    2 57 Willie Howard DE Stanford A solid pick and could have been special if not for the injury/cheap shot that ruined his career!
    3 69 Eric Kelly CB Kentucky A DB from Kentucky?
    LOL!
    Right!

1 7 Bryant McKinnie T Miami Ego the size of his helmet, held out and still gets paid!
    I never minded this selection, but he certainly hasn't lived up to his pre-draft hype!
    NOT ONE PRO BOWL YET HE GETS PAID LIKE IT!!!!

2 38 Raonall Smith OLB Washington State What is it with injury proned players and the Vikings?
    3 70 Willie Offord SS South Carolina I thought Offord was misused his first year, but it doesn't matter now, he's TOAST TOO!

3 71 Nate Burleson WR NevadaCoulda kept him had they upped his offer before Seattle tried their reverse poison pill!
    LOL!!!
    NOW LOOK AT OUR WR DEPTH

1 20 Kenechi Udeze DE Southern CaliforniaAgain with the injured players, WHY?
    2 48 Dontarrious Thomas MLB Auburn Has anybody seen DT around Winter Park?
    This guy has disappered and mayber for the better!

3 88 Darrion Scott DE Ohio State I only put Darrion here to compare his value to Kenechi's and James!
    This player has done more for the team than two, 2, 2 first round picks have! :

1 7 Troy Williamson WR South Carolina Sorry TW!
    It's not your fault the Vikings can't draft!

1 18 Erasmus James DE Wisconsin Another player with injury history and it will be 3 years before we can actually evaluate his potential! :
    2 49 Marcus Johnson T Mississippi I actually like Marcus, but somethings wrong between his ears if he somehow can't perform on this club!
    3 80 Dustin Fox CB Ohio State NEED I SAY ANYMORE?!!!!

1 17 Chad Greenway LB Iowa INJURY BUG!!!
    WELCOME TO THE VIKINGS!

2 51 Ryan Cook T New Mexico A reach is a reach, coulda been had in the 4th round!
    2 64 Tarvaris Jackson QB Alabama StateOh, yeah, lets trade up into the 2nd round for Tarvaris but not consider DOING THE SAME FOR A FRANCHISE PLAYER LIKE JOHNSON!!!
    : : :
    GOOD CALL!!!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Value Is As Value Does (Article from Scout)

http://vikings.scout.com/2/631420.html

Didn't think a new thread needed to be created so I stuck this in here.
    Interesting read.
    :
    I agree with the author...except that I would offer Option B...that way, we could draft ANOTHER WR with our second rounder...then take a break until the fifth round, where we could draft some sleeper OL talent to come in and solidify our OL depth!
    ;D
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678