Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Williamson to Houston

"happy camper" wrote:
    "LAVike" wrote:
    Why draft him at seven last year, and trade him now? Because of Robinson's emergence?
    Because we have a new coaching staff now. And they won't baby the previous picks of Tice. You won't get a situation from Childress that he says "I gotta keep playing Williamson because we traded Moss for him." All that is in the past and a new coaching staff doesn't care.

Another example: If Darrion Scott outplays Udeze, Scott will start. Whereas if it was still Tice here, it would be a situation where Udeze was drafted higher, so he would have to protect his pick.
    I totally disagree with you. Tice put in what he felt was the best player, regardless of draft position.

If that were the case, you would have seen T-Will in there all year, because he was drafted 7th.

Tice also made a lot of adjustments on the line, trying to come up with the best mix regardless of draft position or tenure.

Scott shined only after Udeze got injured & if Tice was still here they'd be competing for the starting role.

Childress will do the same thing. Putting in the best players as the starters.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"singersp" wrote:
    "happy camper" wrote:
    "LAVike" wrote:
    Why draft him at seven last year, and trade him now? Because of Robinson's emergence?
    Because we have a new coaching staff now. And they won't baby the previous picks of Tice. You won't get a situation from Childress that he says "I gotta keep playing Williamson because we traded Moss for him." All that is in the past and a new coaching staff doesn't care.

Another example: If Darrion Scott outplays Udeze, Scott will start. Whereas if it was still Tice here, it would be a situation where Udeze was drafted higher, so he would have to protect his pick.
    I totally disagree with you. Tice put in what he felt was the best player, regardless of draft position.

If that were the case, you would have seen T-Will in there all year, because he was drafted 7th.

Tice also made a lot of adjustments on the line, trying to come up with the best mix regardless of draft position or tenure.

Scott shined only after Udeze got injured & if Tice was still here they'd be competing for the starting role.

I really think coaches give the edge to players they drafted or traded for. That's not to say they won't bench those players, because they will. But I think they give the edge to higher picked players that they themself drafted.

And with the line.. of course he switched those around alot. He didn't draft most of them for one thing. And the situation with the line was so screwed up, he HAD to do conastant switching.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"LAVike" wrote:
    Exactly. Speculation, as always, but something to talk about. Why draft him at seven last year, and trade him now? Because of Robinson's emergence? Package Williamson with our first, and take Bush . . . ha, ha. No wait, don't take Bush and trade Houston's pick to Boston for Szczerbiak. Ah, the offseason and the rumors that come with it are great!
    Hey, I don't think that Houston slides any further than 3 or 4 in any trading of draft picks. If thoey don't take Bush, they would take Brick to strengthen up their O-line.

If this was true about T-roy going to Houston, I don't think it will be anything involving swapping first round draft picks.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "happy camper" wrote:
    "LAVike" wrote:

Singer for the most part I agree with you there, I really think Tice did his best to put the best team on the field last year, examples of this are benching Napo even though he was in the Moss trade and all the changes in the O line.

But I do think that Tice definately had his favorites and I dont think it had anythign to do with his draft picks. If that is true why was TW inactive for a handful of games last year? hmmmm....Anyways, I look no further than the Bennett and Moore situation at running back. Moore seemed to be the more consistant back that was putting up better numbers but Tice always seemed to find a way to get MB back into the game.

That was my biggest gripe about Tice is his man love for MB

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

"VikingNed" wrote:
    I really find this rumor hard to believe....

I guess they like to stir the pot, down in ole Texas, just like they do in MN....
    If it was a Dallas station, the premise must have been talking about Vince Young to start off with and then just morphed into what the Texans would do with the number one pick.

This thread will get a lot of hits and a lot of comments, but it will probably be all for not.

I wouldn't put it totally out of the possibilities of him going to Houston or anywhere else in the league, but don't expect much compensation for him unless we package a start to go with him. He hasn't proven anything in this league yet. He hasn't even been a one year wonder in the NFL yet. He's had only a handful of catches in his career.

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    If Houston and MN, are talking about a trade, what could it be?I hardly doubt that TX would take TW and our first round pick, for their #1pick. Why is this even being talked about, he just got drafted last year at #7, if this were the case, why did we draft him? We could have used that pick on something else,and got a WR in Fa,, Doesn't make sense..
    It didn't make sense to draft him last season. It was to compensate for Moss being gone and to give the masses something to chew on.

We should have drafted another position. Burly, M-Rob, Taylor and some 3rd round rook, would have been good enough ar WR.

I don't think that using the argument that we drafted him so high last year holds water. Just for the fact, the WR pick at number 7 (IMO) wasn't necessary and didn't need to happen. Heck we could have still drafted Troy with our 18th pick.

I totally agree, why would Houston want to pick 17th.

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

I don't want to lose all the potential in Williamson for Davis...
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

The only way I deal Williamson to the Texans is if I get their 1st round pick or Andre Johnson in return, otherwise we keep him. Domanick Davis is hurt too often for us to take him.

Here is the statement from Sid Hartman and The Startribune:

A sports talk radio station in Dallas this week reported the Houston Texans and Vikings are working on a trade involving receiver Troy Williamson. The Texans were interested in drafting Williamson last year and reported to be high on his potential.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

LuckyVike is offline Team Alumni

"DarrinNelsonguy" wrote:
    The only way I deal Williamson to the Texans is if I get their 1st round pick or Andre Johnson in return, otherwise we keep him. Domanick Davis is hurt too often for us to take him.

Here is the statement from Sid Hartman and The Startribune:

A sports talk radio station in Dallas this week reported the Houston Texans and Vikings are working on a trade involving receiver Troy Williamson. The Texans were interested in drafting Williamson last year and reported to be high on his potential.
    My same feelings... getting Johnson or that 1st pick would be the only things to make me get rid of Williamson.
    The best part of my day is when I get down on my knees, with my head in my hands, and thank GOD for everything he has given me.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

If that is true why was TW inactive for a handful of games last year? hmmmm....
    Because Troy absolutly had to be benched. And if I remember right, I remember Tice pushing to bring him back into the games because he didn't feel right having the #7 overall pick benched.

It's not a black and white situation. There's alot of grey. I'm not saying a coach goes all out for his player he drafted and does anything for them. I'm saying there is definatly a certain edge. If for any reason it could be because they'd take heat from fans for benching "the 7th overall pick". Since that might be an indication of failure or picking the wrong guy. Nobody wants to admit they picked the wrong guy.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast