Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will Witherspoon

Vikings | Team expected to be in the Witherspoon hunt
    Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:12:01 -0800

Darin Gantt, of the Rock Hill Herald, reports the Minnesota Vikings are one of the teams said to be in the running for Carolina Panthers LB Will Witherspoon. He will become an unrestricted free agent March 6.

If they make a push and get 'im, that will virtually rule out Ernie as the No.1 pick.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Free Agent News Still Flying

Free Agent News Still Flying
    Date: Mar 3, 2006

While the delay to the start of free agency may have hurt the Vikings, the players they are said to have an interest in are still making news. We update the status of several players connected to the Vikings, including a new and intriguing defensive interest popping up.

The Vikings were ready to roll through free agency in great salary cap position—about $23 million under the cap—while about half of the other NFL teams were busy preparing for massive veteran cuts to get under a cap that was about $10 million lower than some of those teams expected.

When the NFL delayed the start of free agency until 11 p.m. Central on Sunday night and moved the deadline to get in cap compliance until 5 p.m. Sunday, it gave teams more time to prepare and the league and its players association more time to negotiate an extension of the collective bargaining agreement.

The Dallas Morning News is reporting that the NFL and NFLPA are not that far apart on a new deal, but the two sides had not changed their public stance that no deal was at hand. The issue between those two sides is the percentage of revenue that should be placed toward the players’ salary cap for each team. The players want more of the local football revenues, including local media contracts and suite sales, parking, concessions, merchandising and other game-day revenues.

Even with that current stalemate, players the Vikings are reportedly interested in are making the news—and a new and big name has popped up.

The Rock Hill Herald reported that linebacker Will Witherspoon is receiving interest from four teams, and the Vikings are among them. Witherspoon said on a radio show that he had received an offer from his current team, the Carolina Panthers, but that he would still test the free agent market. The Vikings, looking for additional linebackers, are a natural fit for Witherspoon, but they are expected to receive some competition for his services from the San Francisco 49ers, Jacksonville Jaguars and New Orleans Saints.

Witherspoon has 421 tackles, eight sacks and seven interceptions in his four years of service to the Panthers, according to the team’s official web site. In 2004, he had 110 tackles, four interceptions and three sacks. He has played mostly weakside linebacker but has started 11 games at middle linebacker.

The Vikings were also reportedly interested in Saints Pro Bowl offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley, but he is due to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles at the start of free agency, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Another hot offensive line prospect expected to hit the open market is Kansas City guard Will Shields, an 11-time Pro Bowl selection. He isn’t expected to retire, but he could be a cap casualty in Kansas City, as his agent expected him to be released Thursday, when it was assumed cuts were due. The extension to the deadline will give the Chiefs more time to restructure his contract.

Saints guard Jermane Mayberry is another respected offensive lineman and potential salary cap victim, according to the New York Times.

At running back, the Vikings are expected to pursue the Baltimore Ravens’ Chester Taylor, according to what a league sources told scout.com. Taylor plans to reach the open market, and the Baltimore Sun reported that the Ravens and Taylor have made no progress in contract negotiations.

Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is also on the block to be cut if his contract isn’t restructured, and he might be another nice fit for the Vikings.

Finally, NFL Network reported that the Vikings have kick-started trade talks with other teams regarding quarterback Daunte Culpepper, citing a strained relationship with head coach Brad Childress.

Re: Free Agent News Still Flying

The Rock Hill Herald reported that linebacker Will Witherspoon is receiving interest from four teams, and the Vikings are among them.

This would be a good pickup, as we need speed and youth at the LB position.

At running back, the Vikings are expected to pursue the Baltimore Ravens’ Chester Taylor, according to what a league sources told scout.com. Taylor plans to reach the open market, and the Baltimore Sun reported that the Ravens and Taylor have made no progress in contract negotiations

I thought for sure we would go after a prove back like Edgerrin James, not sure if I like the idea of Taylor. What do you think?

Chiefs running back Priest Holmes is also on the block to be cut if his contract isn’t restructured, and he might be another nice fit for the Vikings.

Wouldn't like this move at all. While Priest Holmes was a great rb a few years ago, injuries and age are playing a major role with him now. If this is the case, we are better off keeping MM, and the rest as a rb by committee..

Finally, NFL Network reported that the Vikings have kick-started trade talks with other teams regarding quarterback Daunte Culpepper, citing a strained relationship with head coach Brad Childress.

Now what is this all about? Childress has said that he plans to have BJ, and Pepp in camp. Then Pepp said until he hears differently he expects to be with the Vikings and help Coach Childress win a Championship next season. I still think we are going after Drew Brees in FA..

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

And if we are going to go after Drew Brees, that means the end of CPep doesn't it???
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    And if we are going to go after Drew Brees, that means the end of CPep doesn't it???

Sad, but yes.. I would hate to see Pepp leave, but if he and Childress are at odds it won't make for a very good season will it? There are alot of factors in this situation. Pepp is coming off a very bad injury that may affect his play from this point on. He has alot of problems off the field, and now possibly conflict with the new HC.

If we could get something good in return for him, trading him may be the best scenario at this point in time. Drew Brees is a hell of a qb, and if we can sign him that would be huge for our team. I am thinking what is best for the team at this point. I know other players have voiced their concern over Pepp leaving, but if we start winning all the time, that bad taste will leave sooner rather than later..

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Will Witherspoon

VikesfaninWis wrote:
    Redo that post OldManVike, it doesn't have that catch to it without your trademark talk....

Sure 'ting, Vikesfan. Youse is ok! Some of da mugs in here ain't thrilled wit' da way I talk. Dey say I should speak gooder. Frankly, I dunno what dey're talkin' about...
    ================================================
    2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
    Will Witherspoon
    Grade: 72 | Key
    Alert: None

Comment:
    Plays with a non-stop motor, can get through traffic quickly and always seems to be around the ball at the end of the play. Has good range and can make plays from sideline-to-sideline. Breaks down in space, wraps up upon contact and is a reliable open field tackler. Plays with a mean streak and is an explosive tackler capable of forcing some fumbles. Has improved ball skills and is developing into a playmaker. Takes the shortest path to the quarterback, has the quick feet to avoid blocks in the backfield and shows good closing speed when asked to blitz. Gets downfield quickly when asked to cover kicks and can make an impact on special teams. Has progressed since entering the league and is young enough to continue to improve.
    ===============================================
    I hopes we go after dis mug, big-time! He's real torpedo, y'know? Looks like we missed out on dat Bentley guy from da Saints, so's I hopes we can improve da LB's, if not the O-line.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

pokeyisme is offline Rookie

GOD I WOULD HATE TO SEE BREES AS A VIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Will Witherspoon

I like Witherspoon.. He is a playmaker. I think him and or Julian Peterson would be huge for our team..

Redo that post OldManVike, it doesn't have that catch to it without your trademark talk....

Del Rio Guest

Didn't Drew Bree's suffer a pretty serious injury to his throwing arm, and injury that may seriously put his ability to compete in question?

"pokeyisme" wrote:
    GOD I WOULD HATE TO SEE BREES AS A VIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast