singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Will Wilf spend?

Posted on Sun, Feb. 26, 2006

[size=18px]Will Wilf spend? [/size]

BY CHARLEY WALTERS
    Pioneer Press

Vikings rooters should learn within two weeks whether team owner Zygi Wilf is willing to spend on top free agents.

Wilf, who is seeking public financing for a new stadium, could demonstrate his eagerness to build a championship team by procuring high-priced talent when the market opens Friday. Or he could follow the ways of his predecessor, Red McCombs, and spend on leftovers.

) While Wolves season-ticket holders received an e-mail the other day from Taylor promising to rebuild his team, Vikings season-ticket holders got a voice-mail message from new coach Brad Childress encouraging them to renew.

)It hasn't been announced, but a who's who of NFL scouting staffs and coaches is expected at the University of Minnesota on March 23. That's when former Gophers running back Laurence Maroney, who skipped workouts at the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis because of a hamstring strain, will hold a private pro day workout.

A healthy Maroney is projected as a first-round draft pick in April. The Vikings, desperate for a premier running back, will attend his March 23 workout.

) Look for the Vikings to use Matt Birk of St. Paul to promote their professional public relations campaign for a new stadium, an indicator they intend to honor the four-time Pro Bowl center's $3.94 million contract for next season.

) Vikings legendary trainer consultant Fred Zamberletti, who has been with the team for 928 games, recently was honored by the Minnesota High School Football Coaches Association.

Charley Walters' column appears Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays. He can be reached at [email protected]

Will Wilf spend?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Will Wilf spend?

legendary trainer consultant Fred Zamberletti, who has been with the team for 928 games, recently was honored by the Minnesota High School Football Coaches Association.
    thats quiet the number of games. good for him! i hope he keeps it up
    We're bringing purple back.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

He will spend. Rememeber the saying " I will do whatever is necessary within the rules to bring myself a championship" He will bring in some great FA's, and we will be a team to fear come next season..

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I think we will approach the FA market like we did last year...

Picking up some key FA's...with at least 1 to 2 big names..

I also see us, not getting in over our head and preserving some of our cap for the future. Next season will be a testing of the waters for us, and a solid guide on where we have to go from there...

But yes, I do think Wilf will give the green light on spending some bucks......He almost has to with the picture he has been painting.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.