Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    freaky is offline Starter

Re: Will the Vikes keep Burleson?

how can we not keep him? sure we have 'depth' at WR but how much class? williamson's still a kid & we can't put too much responsibility on his shoulders yet...taylor was solid but hasn't shown the pedigree to carry this offense...k-rob hardly made his name as a receiver last year...we have so many bit-part receivers without anyone capable of carrying the load with total confidence..nate could be that player more than any of the other options..

Del Rio Guest

The question isn't will we keep him, it is will anyone want to take him.

He is restricted. So in order to keep us from matching the team would probably have to give him a fat chunk of change. If we don't want to match we get 3rd round compensation.

We have a shot to match though, and with our cap space still in the green teams may be thinking twice about it. Like I said in order to get him from us they will have to offer quite a lot of cash.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I think people are afraid that he's a one-season wonder. After this past year with the lack of production and injuries I can't say I blame them. People were freaking out about him only having a 3rd round draft pick for compensation, but I think the Vikings are thinking the same thing; is he or isn't he a great receiver? I'll be happy if we keep him because I like Burleson and I think he is a very good receiver, but if we lose him I won't cry, becuase a 3rd round draft pick isn't a bad thing.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Seahawks | Team pondering offer sheet for Burleson
    Wed, 22 Mar 2006 06:00:20 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports the Seattle Seahawks were weighing the possibility of extending an offer sheet toward restricted free agent WR Nate Burleson (Vikings). He visited with the team last week.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

Although I like Burleson, I think they gave him the 3rd rd tender fo ra reason. if they went any higher, nobody is going to sign him after the year he had. I think Childress and company are trying to piece together a strong all-around team, rather than a team with some very strong parts and some gaping holes. If Seattle makes an offer, I don't think we match. If they were really intent on keeping him in MN, they would have given him the higher tender and tried to work out an extension during the season. Also, if they wanted to sign him to a long-term, they would just do it, if they match someone else's offer, they are stuck with how "they" wrote the offer. I am sure Brez and acompany would like all contracts to be on their terms. IMO

Thanks Lotza!

Del Rio Guest

"damien927" wrote:
    Although I like Burleson, I think they gave him the 3rd rd tender fo ra reason. if they went any higher, nobody is going to sign him after the year he had. I think Childress and company are trying to piece together a strong all-around team, rather than a team with some very strong parts and some gaping holes. If Seattle makes an offer, I don't think we match. If they were really intent on keeping him in MN, they would have given him the higher tender and tried to work out an extension during the season. Also, if they wanted to sign him to a long-term, they would just do it, if they match someone else's offer, they are stuck with how "they" wrote the offer. I am sure Brez and acompany would like all contracts to be on their terms. IMO
    The third round designation is actually given by the NFL. It has to do with the players current contract and where that player was drafted.

It's set by the NFL there is no way to change what you get.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"mewario" wrote:
    wouldn't we get a third round pick?

It is a 3rd round pick but it is the 31st pick of that round, so it is almost a 4th rounder.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"Del Rio" wrote:
    The third round designation is actually given by the NFL. It has to do with the players current contract and where that player was drafted.

It's set by the NFL there is no way to change what you get.
    I can't remember how many different tenders there are you can offer to an RFA. Is it 2 or 3? I know there's the highest offer, which is worth $1.53 million and the compensation if another team came in and took the player would be a First Rounder and another pick linked to whereever that player was taken in the draft (so in this case a Third Rounder), and a lower offer that demands compensation of a pick equivalent to whereever that player was taken in the draft. But for some reason I'm thinking there's another tender teams can offer..

Help?

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

They better keep him. A third rounder for him isn't good enough!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Ahh Don't know, you would have to ask them. :grin:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast