singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Will Future QB Come Out of the Draft?

[size=18px]Will Future QB Come Out of the Draft? [/size]

By Viking Update Staff
    Date: Mar 19, 2006

With the shock of the Daunte Culpepper trade dying down, the Vikings now must address their future at the position with the question of where the next franchise QB will come from? Some are speculating that the draft this year will be the answer. But who would a potential dance partner be?

The Vikings currently sit with three draft picks in the top 51 selections. Granted, two of those are Nos. 48 and 51, but the Vikings are the only team that can say they have three picks that high. Now what they have gauge is will that be enough to get one of the team high on the draft board to make a move?

The problem becomes a little dicey, because, unless the Vikings move up to the No. 1 pick and take Matt Leinart, there would be no guarantee that if they moved into the top of the first round -- even at No. 2 from the Saints -- that they would get Leinart.

There is also a belief that those teams sitting at the top of the draft might ask for more than the Vikings would be willing to part with for the pick. Considering the Daunte Culpepper was only worth a second-round pick when dangled to every team in the league, what would give fans the idea that the pick the Vikings got for Culpepper added to the 17th and 48th pick would make sense?

If there is a deal to made for the Vikings to move up in the draft, almost by force it will likely have to come on draft day itself. While there are some tantalizing players on the board, including Leinart, Vince Young of Texas and Jay Cutler of Vanderbilt, getting into the position to make a deal might be more difficult and expensive that the Vikings may want to undertake.

If the deal Alex Smith signed with the 49ers is the new benchmark for top-end QBs in the draft, the Vikings will end up spending more money on the new guy they would potentially bring in than they would have needed to pay Culpepper. It might not make a lot of sense, but that's how the NFL money train works.

SUNDAY NOTES

* Gus Frerotte officially signed his contract to join the Rams Saturday. He had a couple of pointed comments about how the Dolphins and Nick Saban handled his situation as they courted Culpepper and Drew Brees, who eventually signed with the Saints when the Dolphins balked at his contract demands. Frerotte's frequent flier miles continue to pile up. The Rams will be his seventh team in his 13-year NFL career.

* Sources with the Seahawks say that if the arbitrator hearing the grievance over the clauses in the offer sheet extended to Steve Hutchinson sides with the Vikings and the players association and determines the stipulations will stand, it will likely be a deal-breaker for the Seahawks. A decision from the arbitrator is expected Monday morning.

The Seahawks will then likely decide within a couple of hours whether to match the offer or not. However, while the Vikings free agent activity have been a standstill since the Hutchinson offer sheet, Seattle remains busy.

Nate Burleson was said to have a productive meeting in the two days he met with club officials and the Seahawks have come close to working out a deal with the Jets to trade John Abraham. But the problem is that Abraham was allowed to elicit offers from other teams and the Falcons have reportedly offered him a huge contract, but the Jets and Falcons haven't discussed compensation -- meaning two half-trades have been completed, but, as of now, Abraham remains a Jet.

* The Vikings 2006 schedule just keeps getting more interesting. With the recent head-butting with Seattle over the Hutchinson deal, if he ends up a Viking, he will return to Seattle during the regular season for a homecoming.

Dennis Green will make his first regular-season appearance back at the Metrodome since being fired by Red McCombs.

Scott Linehan will also make his return to the dome when the Rams come to town (along with safety Corey Chavous).

Chris Hovan and Toniu Fonoti will make their presence felt when the Bucs come to the Metrodome.

Pat Williams will also make his first trip back to Buffalo since signing away to the Vikes. And, if there's any chance nobody has forgotten Culpepper, the Vikings will play in Miami this season.

Will Future QB Come Out of the Draft?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Will Future QB Come Out of the Draft?

Oh my! It's going to to be one he!! of a year! I do believe the QB will come out of the draft. I hope it's Jay Cutler, but whoever it is won't be ready this year. Hope BJ is up to the challenge.
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

DaScRuM is offline Rookie

Definitely, not a Notre Dame fan, but, sure would love to see Brady Quinn wearing purple. But, that's for next year.

CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

we wont get one of the big three but i believe it is going to be someone like brodie coyle or omar jacops who we draft. we are going to let BJ be the starter this year and we dont want to draft some one who will be a distraction on the bench beacuse they are not playing that would ruin everything this organization is going for. so we will do the same thing with the quarterback that we draft as jiggly butt in miami so that he is ready to play in 2007 and we dont make many rookie mistakes.

Prophet Guest

Posted on Mon, Mar. 20, 2006
    Available QBs are going fast
    Vikings' options dwindle as Nall goes to Buffalo
    From staff and news reports
    Link

As they search for a backup to starting quarterback Brad Johnson, the Vikings are quickly running out of options.

Green Bay Packers backup Craig Nall, who visited Winter Park last Monday, agreed to a contract with the Buffalo Bills, his agent Robb Nelson said Sunday evening.

Although the Vikings were interested in Nall, they apparently didn't want to meet his financial asking price. "Minnesota made a run at Craig (on Sunday) but Craig couldn't turn down the deal from Buffalo," Nelson said.

Meanwhile, the most credible young quarterback available, former Pro Bowler Brian Griese, wrapped up a visit with the Chicago Bears and returned to Tampa.

Agent Ralph Cindrich told the Pioneer Press on Thursday that he had a conversation with the Vikings about his client. Cindrich said Sunday there's "nothing imminent" with the Vikings.

Veterans still available are Aaron Brooks, Kerry Collins, former Viking Jay Fiedler, Tommy Maddox, Jamie Martin and Anthony Wright.
    One intriguing possibility is Joey Harrington, whose release from the Detroit Lions has been widely speculated.

Harrington has experience running the West Coast offense, and he's still young. But he has had little success in the NFL.

The Vikings also clearly are looking at next month's NFL draft as a way to upgrade.

Pat Kirwan of NFL Network said Vikings coach Brad Childress hinted about the possibility of moving up in the draft.

"He already told me, 'We're looking at that trade chart, we're seeing if we have enough firepower to move up,' " Kirwan quoted Childress as saying on NFL Total Access. "I asked him if it was for a quarterback, and he said, 'We're intrigued with those three quarterbacks,' " referring to Matt Leinart, Vince Young and Jay Cutler.

Other draft possibilities include Omar Jacobs of Bowling Green, Brodie Croyle of Alabama and Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson.

— Sean Jensen

Carter rips Vikings: New Miami quarterback Daunte Culpepper's former teammate, Cris Carter, now an analyst on HBO's Inside the NFL, believes the Vikings made a drastic mistake in trading a Pro Bowl quarterback in his prime.

"You don't trade franchise quarterbacks," Carter said during an interview on Sirius NFL radio. "The reason we have jobs is because guys in executive positions make decisions on quarterbacks. Because every week, what do we talk about on Monday?

"Man, they can't win because they don't have a quarterback.' And you have one. You have a proven commodity, and now you're going to give up your proven commodity for a second-round pick? I don't know what these people are thinking about.

"... As my colleague on HBO, Dan Marino, says, 'You need a guy who can get under center and make two or three throws at the end of the game. That's the difference between a good and great player.' And now Miami has that."

• Cornerback Will Allen agreed to a four-year deal worth $12 million with the Dolphins, according to ESPN.com.

Prophet Guest

It appears that 'lil Ronnie had a score lower then two-timer Vince Young in the Wonderlic. Who will be the lucky winners of the two scholarly field generals?

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

If anyone really cares about the wonderlic it says Leinart got a 35.. YIKES!

And the article up there says Childress is looking at the trade chart and it is possible we will trade up.. I hope we do!

mewario is offline Starter

a 35? That's nothing special. Alex Smith scored 40 last year, Charlie Frye had 38, Ryan Fitzpatrick had 38, and Aaron Rodgers had 35.

Unless you're saying that's a low score?

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

No that's pretty high though..

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

To be honest, the Wonderlic isn't exactly the most accurate test of intelligence with regards to learning NFL playbooks.

To take an example already made: Alex Smith gets a 40 on the Wonderlic. Fantastic! Brilliant! The Kid's A Genius! He'll Be Able To Assimilate The 49'ers Offense In 2 Days!

Then what happened? Oh yeah, he ends up with a Passer Rating that would've been better off he MISSED EVERY THROW HE ATTEMPTED. Need I remind y'all of the stats? Oh why not, here we go:

Year Team G GS Att Cmp Pct Yds Avg TD
    2005 49ers 9 7 165 84 50.9 875 5.30 1

TD% Int Int% Sack Loss Rating
    0.6 11 6.7 29 185 40.8

Now I know stats don't make the whole story, but at the QB position, and with an offense as anaemic as the 49ers', they were forced to play catch-up in games all season long. While that may skew the figures slightly because of the sheer number of passing attempts needed to get downfield, it still don't doesn't hide the fact those numbers are horrific.

I could analyse the Wonderlic scores of the other players mewario listed in the context of their ability to play on the field, but this method is tenuous at best.

Basically, a kid could be dumb as a rock and be the greatest QB who has ever lived.

Speaking of which, was the Wonderlic or an equivalent around when Marino was going through the draft process? I'd love to know what he got.