Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Wilf shuts his wallet after little return on investments

"Caine" wrote:
    Is it "Better"?
    I'm not convinced that the improvements are due to Chiller.
    I'm still more convinced that the offensive improvements are due to Peterson, and the Defense is due to Chiller NOT being a part of it.
    Of course the improvements arent' all due to the Chiller.
    He does have positional coaches and Coordinators for that.
    His job is to set for the process and procedure by which it will all happen.

Don't forget, that process has its flaws, at least in my mind and that is the issue I have with him.
    Still think his approach to getting a team ready isn't sound.

And yet the fans in Pittsburgh and New York seem to grasp the concept.
    Are you saying that we're dumber than Giants and Steelers fans?
    Don't get me going on Vikings fans.
    Of late I am almost ashamed to be called one.
    Used to be hard to be one cause the of the team, now we get laughed at for Boo'ng a Div champ.

As to the Giants, lets not forget what the first few years were like up there under the current regime.
    The Steelers fan has always had thier scheme.
    That comes from consistency.

Significant would be to bring in a "capable" QB for a change, then jettison the dillrod creating the scheme and calling the stupid plays.
    That, to me, would be pretty significant.
    This is one area we agree on.
    My hopes is that Sage has found the scheme that can best maximize his skill set or the light comes on for TJ.

For the record, I don't think our O line is as horrible as the picture you paint.
    I think the problem lies more in our receivers inability to create seperation and our Quarterbacks' inability to make decisions.
    I think all 3 are linked.
    However, if the OL could just create a pocket the other 2 would take care of themselves.

And, seriously, for the last 3 years (going on 4), "anyone" HAS been doing it.
    And their last name is Wilf.
    And their friends are called Chiller and "Chillers little buddy who we can't remember the name of but he used to be a QB at the UW so we just call him Lil' Chill" (That would be Bevell).

I don't think it was a huge leap to look at Jared Allen and say, "Hey, this guy would be great for us".
    But I'm still scratching my head about Shiancoe (for the money), Rosenfels, and the LACK of action on proven QB's (Most notably Garcia).
    I hear ya about play calling, however, for me, it is more scheme driven and not so much a issue with Bevell.
    He calls a good game based on the scheme.

Now if we could get consistent execution out of the players, maybe that scheme would be a bit more effective.
    Lets not forget, without a QB and a messed up Right side it did improve last year to 12th I think.

And seriously, Garcia?
    A career 9-7 QB.
    Would I have liked to see him on the roster?
    Sure, I would like to see five or six of them on the 80 man roster, but what do you think Garcia would have done with this team last year that he didn't do with Tampa other than to get a HC fired?

Wait.
    I think I just answered that question didn't I.
    ;D

In short, I see a lot of the same holes we've had since Chiller got here that remain unaddressed (Right side of O-line, WR, QB).
    It isn't like he hasn't had time....
    QB, WR, OL.
    Thats all that needed to be addressed when he got here?

How about RB, DE, (Whole damn Defense), LB, Secondary.
    Comeon that team was a mess and was seriously devoid of talent.

We "Assume" Jackson is Chillers project?
    No, mein fruend, if this were a project foisted on Chiller he would have found a way to rid himself of it a LONG time ago.
    He's had opportunities the past 2 seasons to do so (When Jackson was hurt 2 years ago...both times, and when Jackson was benched last season).
    So you contend that we haven't attempted to bring in anyone to improve the position?
    Wow, Seems we have been linked to at least Cutler, Lord Dickhead, Rosie.
    Now we are in the rumor mill mix for Quinn, and heavens forbid, Campbell.
    Sure doesn't sound like a guy (staff) who is set at QB.

In BOTH cases he came back to Jackson, and he stuck with him...despite everything the majority of the fanbase and the media said about the decision.
    Came back to him?
    Seems he had to come back to him last year and the kid came off the bench with a hot hand.

By the way, I know you don't think a HC should coach a team based on the media and fans opinions now do you?

Have no doubts that this IS Chiller's pet project.
    And it's become the millstone around his neck because Jackson hasn't produced.
    And bringing in Rosenfels was simply another half hearted attempt to legitimize Chillers man-love for Tarvaris (Bring in another career backup and say, "Hey, open competition"....where have we seen THAT before).
    Is TJ an attempt at growing a QB from within instead of the turnstyle approach of filling the position with has beens or never was's, yes.
    IMHO that is what should be done.
    In fact I think we should have at least 3 projects on the roster.

Problem for us is the previous regime never took that approach to the QB position so us fans have been forced to watch a kid that was a project at best, learn on the field.
    I wonder if we would even be having this discussion if Foley wouldn't have screwed the pooch on Cutler in the first place.
    :

And yet when play calling, or when choosing NOT to run Peterson at inexplicable times, or by sticking with Jackson for so long, we've seen EXACTLY that.
    I think the staff know that you do it Chiller's way or you find another job.
    Why do you think we don't have a REAL OC in Minnesota?
    Why do you think Chiller went out and got a "Yes" man for that job?
    CHILLER calls the shots....ALL of them....except on Defense.
    I hope to shit the staff does it the HC's way.
    To think a HC would allow his staff to "Freelance" is tatamount to suicide when it comes to a leadership standpoint.

And that explains why the Defense is so good, and the Offense (despite having a lot of talent - except at QB) is so "blagh".
    LOL, so he doesn't have anything to do with the Defense and strictly focuses on the offense?
    I highly doubt that.
    In fact I bet he spends more time with the problem area and allows the coordinator that is having the most trouble most of his attention.
    My bet, that will be ST's this year.

Just admit you have the guys poster up in your room already....

Caine
    I used to.
    Then he went into that lames assed sissy way of getting a team ready so I burned it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Caine" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Wilf smacks you all with his gigantic NJ money filled wallet."

Some nice shopping malls here.... I just wish a real estate guy like him could get the stadium deal done.

As far as FA goes, there wasn't much for him to do this year. He will go after the players the coaches want, period. He's proven that. He's not a football guy, he lets the guys who know football go after players and has their back in decision making.
    Isn't that sort of the problem?
    He ISN'T a "Football Guy", yet he's refused to bring in a "Football Guy" (aka a GM) to run the show, instead putting himself and his brother in the decision making loop.
    So, we essentially wind up with the Wilfs having a LOT of input, without the knowledge base to make those decisions effectively.

As i_bleed_purple points out, we really aren't in such a different position as we were when Red *diddles ducks* McCombs was here, other than the fact that Wilf will spend money (or at least he WOULD prior to this year).
    In both cases, however, we were saddled with football FAN owners who fancied themselves as football GUY owners - and they aren't/weren't.

I stand by the assertion that Chiller is a lousey Head Coach.
    I don't believe he will ever do much better than he already has - i.e. I see us as an early playoff exit team, primarily due to coaching.
    But - and I've said this before too - Wilf LOVES Chiller, and I can only imagine that is must be because Chiller lets Wilf feel like he is a part of the equation.
    And that's dangerous.
    That would be like randomly selecting a PPO member and letting US run the draft and FA period...how many horrible player acquisition ideas have you seen here?
    Imagine them all happening!

Wilf needs to distance himself from the operation of the team.
    Bottom line, he isn't qualified.
    And neither is his brother...or his son...or anyone with the last name Wilf (so far as I know).
    Then he needs to hire a REAL GM to run the show.
    And the GM's first act should be to tell Chiller, "The excuses stop now.
    Either your offense produces or you pack up...and don't even THINK about throwing Bevell under the bus, because we ALL know that he has no real power or authority
    ".
    And, of course, Chillers offense WON'T change, because he's too stubborn to see that it doesn't work (I can see Chiller saying "But it works AWESOME on Madden....") and too married to his bad ideas to alter them (just like Cottrell was).

But I doubt that will happen.
    Instead, we will see another season of impressive Defense and anemic offense, followed by yet another round of excuses and empty promises from Chiller (No...really...this year he's REALLY ready to lead our team....DOH!!!!!
    Ok....now THIS year he's ready.....DOH!!!!
    Ok....wait......THIS year he's....DAMMIT!!!!
    Ok.....have faith...this really is a KAO....and Tarvaris is the guy.....really....).

Caine

Amen

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Vikes have always spent well.

Not too little not too much!

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Vikes" wrote:

Williamson, Troy
    2006 total salary:
    $ 9,260,000

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:

Williamson, Troy
    2006 total salary:
    $ 9,260,000
    I think he meant in Free Agency (Although Siancoe's salary could be used as a negative example probably)

Caine

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:

Williamson, Troy
    2006 total salary:
    $ 9,260,000
    I think he meant in Free Agency (Although Siancoe's salary could be used as a negative example probably)

Caine

Why?

Shank is beastly

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"V4L" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:

Williamson, Troy
    2006 total salary:
    $ 9,260,000

Caine

Why?

Shank is beastly
    Plus we have Mills... who I wish played a lot more.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Vikes" wrote:

Williamson, Troy
    2006 total salary:
    $ 9,260,000

Caine

Why?

Shank is beastly
    Plus we have Mills... who I wish played a lot more.

Hell yah

Mills is a nice recieving option

He needs to play more.. Always made plays while in

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234