Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Wilf shuts his wallet after little return on investments

"Caine" wrote:
    Sorry, I'm going to pick on you a bit here Mar...mostly because I figured you'd chime in.
    Ohhhhhh, I see how it works.
    Setting me up are ya.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D

Is the team really better or did Chicago and Green Bay fall apart a bit?
    I'd say it's a bit of both...but the improvement here has been defensive.
    Our Offense is still anemic, but it isn't because of lack of talent (except at QB).
    I think I've posted the stats enough (from 2005 on) to prove that the offense is better.
    Are we still lacking in a couple of areas?
    Sure, most notably QB and OL play in the passing game.
    But hey, it is better even with those limitations.

Again, find a franchise QB somehow, fix the pressure up the middle and I am sure the offense will be better.
    Problem is, it still won't be good enough for most because it isn't a "Flash" offense.
    It is a clock eating, grind it out, run on first, run on second, run on third if we can get away with it offense.

Not many people understand that type of offense, let alone put up with it cause it is very boring.

Yes, I did.
    And when I look at the Defense and the majority of the Offense, that's what I see.

Then I look at the Quarterback and the craptacular KAO (and the dillrods that came up with and impliment it) and I realize taht we aren't getting anywhere NEAR a Superbowl without some significant changes.
    Significant changes?
    How so?

I would like to see improved play at QB, but hey, we did go 10-6, win the div and host a playoff game with pretty sub par QB's last year so I don't see why we need "Significant" improvement there.
    Just some improvement.

Heck, IMHO, you improve our OL play in the pass protection area which would allow our QB to first, have a pocket, and second, get to a second or 3rd read and that should be more than enough.

Because that's such a hard thing to do....

What type of receiver do you want coach Chiller?

Hmmmmm...let's see....I want one who can run fast....and who can catch the ball.
    And if he could jump every now and then, that would be good too.

OK...what type of linemen do you want?

Ummmm....let me think a minute....how about someone who can get in the way of the Defensive guys and slow them down a bit?

Alright, we can do that.
    How about at Quarterback?

Nah...we're good there.
    Comeon, you of all people know it is much more than that.

WR - How a guy runs his stem, how he adjusts that if jammed or a blitz is on......
    OL -
    Is he an Inline blocker, can he sustain and then shed a block, what type of knee bend and explosiveness does he have.....

Seriously, if it was that easy anyone could do it.

How many of the "improved" guys are being directly coached by Chiller?
    The one guy we all KNOW is Chiller's project has turned out to be less-than-impressive for 2 years running.
    So, again, I wouldn't be too quick to start patting Chiller on the back here as I tend to believe he has actually had very little to do with the areas we HAVE improved in (Most notably on Defense).
    My guess is not that many, to include the one guy we all ASSUME is the Chillers project.
    Again, no one has convinced me that the draft didn't play out the way I shout it from the highest tree tops.
    This staff (not just the Chiller) settled on TJ and have been trying to fix that issue since that draft.

Problem is, it isn't like there are "Franchise QB"s running around hanging from trees.

Would have Cutler been a nice coupe this year?
    Hell yes, but I think the price was a bit to high considering the names we were hearing tied to the trade because we didn't have a QB to put in our package.

But hey, I ramble, and back to your question.
    Again, not that many.
    He is the HC.
    How much time does he really have to spend with specific players?
    If he had all that time he wouldn't need position coaches now would he?

We'd still have Chiller, and he'd find a way to hamstring the talent.
    Keep in mind, the primary reason we DON'T have a "Franchise QB" is because Chiller didn't want the one that was available.
    He still believes Jackson can be one, or that Sage will suddenly become one.
    Kindof answered that when I went off on a small tangent above.
    Seriously, do you really believe that the whole staff would just sit idly by and let him "Hamstring" the talent, or stick with a kid that only he's sees the future in?
    Nope, we are yet again hearing rumors of the Vikes associated with QB's (Campbell/Quinn) and trades.

This staff (and not just the Chiller) believe that TJ has potential, but that potential has yet to be realized, if it will at all.
    To believe anything other than that is to kindof have ones head in the sand and ignoring what is really going on.

And this is a guy you have faith in?

DOH!!!!

Caine
    I don't have faith in him.
    I just think he is a good HC who has his several areas that still pisses me off to no end.
    Kindof a "I can see both sides of the wall" approach instead of "I am only looking at one side of the wall".

DOH.

Sorry, couldn't resist that last little play on words my friend.
    Kindof a gotcha for setting me up.
    ;D
    ;D ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ...He should have said, "I would close my wallet as well once I realized I wasn't gonna get a new stadium from MN.
    Rollup the doors and get the packing trucks.
    The new state will build me one."
    I agree with that...I think Ziggy is preparing to leave.

However, I also agree that his choice of Chiller has contributed a great deal to our lack of significant success.
    That lack has contributed to a lack of excitement about the team from both fans and the legislature (No one lets a superbowl caliber team to leave).
    And that lack of excitement has contributed to the lack of action on the part of the State government to correct the stadium discrepancy...after all, it isn't like the issue crept up on them.

So, in a way, you COULD blame Chiller for all of this...partly...and be absolutely correct.
    But I won't do that.
    After all, Ziggy hired him.
    So he's really got no one to blame but himself.

And if you'll recall, when we heard he was buying the team from Red *licks lemmings* McCombs, I did say that I hoped our new owner would be smart enough to hire a GM to run the team and not try and play with his "new toy".
    Ziggy couldn't resist, and the end result hasn't been what it could have been.

Caine
    Interesting post. You could blame Wilf but really we have brought in some really good talent. The thing that we have lacked was a QB. From what I had read that is Childresses area. I will stick to blaming him. With a QB, IMO we win a Super Bowl or at least have a very very good chance. Winning a Super Bowl will change fans and the states minds on a stadium.
    yes, blame childress for part of it, but why isn't Wilf sticking his head in the door saying "WTF?
    why do we suck at the passing game ever since you took over brad?
    Fix it."
    I'm sure if he said that, and meant it, we'd have Cutler by now. (or at least made a significant move instead of trading for an old faster version of Frerrotte)
    From what I heard on sirius NFL, Pat Kirwan said the Broncos wanted Kevin Williams and picks from the Vikings for Cutler....I'm not sold on Jay for that price...are you?
    Same package as the Bores, plus Kevin.
    We offered the same package plus Chad.
    Denver said no.

Anyway, thats what I heard the same guys on Sirius say.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51564.msg937751#msg937751 date=1240487913]
    ...He should have said, "I would close my wallet as well once I realized I wasn't gonna get a new stadium from MN.

However, I also agree that his choice of Chiller has contributed a great deal to our lack of significant success.
    That lack has contributed to a lack of excitement about the team from both fans and the legislature (No one lets a superbowl caliber team to leave).
    And that lack of excitement has contributed to the lack of action on the part of the State government to correct the stadium discrepancy...after all, it isn't like the issue crept up on them.

So, in a way, you COULD blame Chiller for all of this...partly...and be absolutely correct.
    But I won't do that.

And if you'll recall, when we heard he was buying the team from Red *licks lemmings* McCombs, I did say that I hoped our new owner would be smart enough to hire a GM to run the team and not try and play with his "new toy".

Caine
    Interesting post. You could blame Wilf but really we have brought in some really good talent. The thing that we have lacked was a QB. From what I had read that is Childresses area. I will stick to blaming him. With a QB, IMO we win a Super Bowl or at least have a very very good chance. Winning a Super Bowl will change fans and the states minds on a stadium.
    yes, blame childress for part of it, but why isn't Wilf sticking his head in the door saying "WTF?
    Fix it."
    I'm sure if he said that, and meant it, we'd have Cutler by now. (or at least made a significant move instead of trading for an old faster version of Frerrotte)
    From what I heard on sirius NFL, Pat Kirwan said the Broncos wanted Kevin Williams and picks from the Vikings for Cutler....I'm not sold on Jay for that price...are you?

Denver said no.

[/quote]

Why is there never a news story/link that coincides with what the yutzes on Sirius say?

Seems to me that many times they just spout off rumors that have no clout.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    [quote author=Caine link=topic=51564.msg938158#msg938158 date=1240540979]

But I won't do that.

Caine
    Fix it."

Denver said no.

[/quote]

Why is there never a news story/link that coincides with what the yutzes on Sirius say?

[/quote]
    There were.
    Problem is you were on some beach soaking your pole.
    Do a search.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51564.msg938163#msg938163 date=1240541982]

But I won't do that.

Caine
    Fix it."

Denver said no.

[/quote]

[/quote]
    There were.
    Problem is you were on some beach smoking a pole.
    Do a search.
    [/quote]

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Caine

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro," wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    Sorry, I'm going to pick on you a bit here Mar...mostly because I figured you'd chime in.
    Ohhhhhh, I see how it works.
    Setting me up are ya.

;D
    ;D
    ;D

Is the team really better or did Chicago and Green Bay fall apart a bit?
    I'd say it's a bit of both...but the improvement here has been defensive.
    Our Offense is still anemic, but it isn't because of lack of talent (except at QB).
    I think I've posted the stats enough (from 2005 on) to prove that the offense is better.
    Are we still lacking in a couple of areas?
    Sure, most notably QB and OL play in the passing game.
    But hey, it is better even with those limitations.
    Is it "Better"?
    I'm not convinced that the improvements are due to Chiller.
    I'm still more convinced that the offensive improvements are due to Peterson, and the Defense is due to Chiller NOT being a part of it.

"Marrdro," wrote:
    Again, find a franchise QB somehow, fix the pressure up the middle and I am sure the offense will be better.
    Problem is, it still won't be good enough for most because it isn't a "Flash" offense.
    It is a clock eating, grind it out, run on first, run on second, run on third if we can get away with it offense.

Not many people understand that type of offense, let alone put up with it cause it is very boring.
    And yet the fans in Pittsburgh and New York seem to grasp the concept.
    Are you saying that we're dumber than Giants and Steelers fans?

"Marrdro," wrote:
    Yes, I did.
    And when I look at the Defense and the majority of the Offense, that's what I see.

Then I look at the Quarterback and the craptacular KAO (and the dillrods that came up with and impliment it) and I realize taht we aren't getting anywhere NEAR a Superbowl without some significant changes.
    Significant changes?
    How so?

I would like to see improved play at QB, but hey, we did go 10-6, win the div and host a playoff game with pretty sub par QB's last year so I don't see why we need "Significant" improvement there.
    Just some improvement.

Heck, IMHO, you improve our OL play in the pass protection area which would allow our QB to first, have a pocket, and second, get to a second or 3rd read and that should be more than enough.
    Significant would be to bring in a "capable" QB for a change, then jettison the dillrod creating the scheme and calling the stupid plays.
    That, to me, would be pretty significant.

For the record, I don't think our O line is as horrible as the picture you paint.
    I think the problem lies more in our receivers inability to create seperation and our Quarterbacks' inability to make decisions.

"Marrdro," wrote:
    Because that's such a hard thing to do....

What type of receiver do you want coach Chiller?

Hmmmmm...let's see....I want one who can run fast....and who can catch the ball.
    And if he could jump every now and then, that would be good too.

OK...what type of linemen do you want?

Ummmm....let me think a minute....how about someone who can get in the way of the Defensive guys and slow them down a bit?

Alright, we can do that.
    How about at Quarterback?

Nah...we're good there.
    Comeon, you of all people know it is much more than that.

WR - How a guy runs his stem, how he adjusts that if jammed or a blitz is on......
    OL -
    Is he an Inline blocker, can he sustain and then shed a block, what type of knee bend and explosiveness does he have.....

Seriously, if it was that easy anyone could do it.
    And, seriously, for the last 3 years (going on 4), "anyone" HAS been doing it.
    And their last name is Wilf.
    And their friends are called Chiller and "Chillers little buddy who we can't remember the name of but he used to be a QB at the UW so we just call him Lil' Chill" (That would be Bevell).

I don't think it was a huge leap to look at Jared Allen and say, "Hey, this guy would be great for us".
    But I'm still scratching my head about Shiancoe (for the money), Rosenfels, and the LACK of action on proven QB's (Most notably Garcia).

In short, I see a lot of the same holes we've had since Chiller got here that remain unaddressed (Right side of O-line, WR, QB).
    It isn't like he hasn't had time....

"Marrdro," wrote:
    How many of the "improved" guys are being directly coached by Chiller?
    The one guy we all KNOW is Chiller's project has turned out to be less-than-impressive for 2 years running.
    So, again, I wouldn't be too quick to start patting Chiller on the back here as I tend to believe he has actually had very little to do with the areas we HAVE improved in (Most notably on Defense).
    My guess is not that many, to include the one guy we all ASSUME is the Chillers project.
    Again, no one has convinced me that the draft didn't play out the way I shout it from the highest tree tops.
    This staff (not just the Chiller) settled on TJ and have been trying to fix that issue since that draft.

Problem is, it isn't like there are "Franchise QB"s running around hanging from trees.

Would have Cutler been a nice coupe this year?
    Hell yes, but I think the price was a bit to high considering the names we were hearing tied to the trade because we didn't have a QB to put in our package.

But hey, I ramble, and back to your question.
    Again, not that many.
    He is the HC.
    How much time does he really have to spend with specific players?
    If he had all that time he wouldn't need position coaches now would he?
    We "Assume" Jackson is Chillers project?
    No, mein fruend, if this were a project foisted on Chiller he would have found a way to rid himself of it a LONG time ago.
    He's had opportunities the past 2 seasons to do so (When Jackson was hurt 2 years ago...both times, and when Jackson was benched last season).

In BOTH cases he came back to Jackson, and he stuck with him...despite everything the majority of the fanbase and the media said about the decision.

Have no doubts that this IS Chiller's pet project.
    And it's become the millstone around his neck because Jackson hasn't produced.
    And bringing in Rosenfels was simply another half hearted attempt to legitimize Chillers man-love for Tarvaris (Bring in another career backup and say, "Hey, open competition"....where have we seen THAT before).

"Marrdro," wrote:
    We'd still have Chiller, and he'd find a way to hamstring the talent.
    Keep in mind, the primary reason we DON'T have a "Franchise QB" is because Chiller didn't want the one that was available.
    He still believes Jackson can be one, or that Sage will suddenly become one.
    Kindof answered that when I went off on a small tangent above.
    Seriously, do you really believe that the whole staff would just sit idly by and let him "Hamstring" the talent, or stick with a kid that only he's sees the future in?
    Nope, we are yet again hearing rumors of the Vikes associated with QB's (Campbell/Quinn) and trades.

This staff (and not just the Chiller) believe that TJ has potential, but that potential has yet to be realized, if it will at all.
    To believe anything other than that is to kindof have ones head in the sand and ignoring what is really going on.
    And yet when play calling, or when choosing NOT to run Peterson at inexplicable times, or by sticking with Jackson for so long, we've seen EXACTLY that.
    I think the staff know that you do it Chiller's way or you find another job.
    Why do you think we don't have a REAL OC in Minnesota?
    Why do you think Chiller went out and got a "Yes" man for that job?
    CHILLER calls the shots....ALL of them....except on Defense.

And that explains why the Defense is so good, and the Offense (despite having a lot of talent - except at QB) is so "blagh".

"Marrdro," wrote:
    And this is a guy you have faith in?

DOH!!!!

Caine
    I don't have faith in him.
    I just think he is a good HC who has his several areas that still pisses me off to no end.
    Kindof a "I can see both sides of the wall" approach instead of "I am only looking at one side of the wall".

DOH.

Sorry, couldn't resist that last little play on words My Sexy Little Pixie.

Kindof a gotcha for setting me up.

;D
    ;D ;D
    Just admit you have the guys poster up in your room already....

Caine

"Caine" wrote:

There were.
    Do a search.

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Caine
    You do have your moments my friend.
    ;D

"Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=51564.msg938166#msg938166 date=1240542933]

But I won't do that.

Caine
    Fix it."

Denver said no.

[/quote]

[/quote]
    There were.
    Do a search.
    [/quote]

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Caine
    [/quote]

I only smoked Marlboro while I was there because they were $0.58/pack, $5.80/carton or ream as they call them.

However, the bearded clam was delicious.
    8)

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:

But I won't do that.

Caine
    Fix it."

Denver said no.

[/quote]

[/quote]
    Comeon Newshound.
    Of course there isn't a link to what someone says on a fricken radio station.
    Lord almighty.
    What do you think, they are gonna type transcripts and post them on a web site for us?

Damn...

Second.
    There are articles out there that talk about what/who was offered.
    Again, do a search, ohhhh search god.....almost all of them are in the Cutler thread.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "vikinggreg" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

But I won't do that.

Caine
    Fix it."

Denver said no.

[/quote]

[/quote]
    Comeon Newshound.
    Of course there isn't a link to what someone says on a fricken radio station.
    Lord almighty.
    What do you think, they are gonna type transcripts and post them on a web site for us?

Damn...

Second.
    There are articles out there that talk about what/who was offered.
    Again, do a search, ohhhh search god.....almost all of them are in the Cutler thread.
    [/quote]

C'mon Marr! If it's real news it will be on the radio as well as in print. I didn't ask for a link to what was said on the radio, only a link to what was in the press saying the same thing.

I didn't have time to catch up on the 12 pages worth of current thread listings I missed, nor the 16 pages of new threads, let alone the 50+ pages that were probably added to the Cutler thread in the past 3 weeks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast