Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wilf shuts his wallet after little return on investments

"Wilf smacks you all with his gigantic NJ money filled wallet."

Some nice shopping malls here.... I just wish a real estate guy like him could get the stadium deal done.

As far as FA goes, there wasn't much for him to do this year. He will go after the players the coaches want, period. He's proven that. He's not a football guy, he lets the guys who know football go after players and has their back in decision making.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:

Some nice shopping malls here.... I just wish a real estate guy like him could get the stadium deal done.

As far as FA goes, there wasn't much for him to do this year. He will go after the players the coaches want, period. He's proven that. He's not a football guy, he lets the guys who know football go after players and has their back in decision making.
    Isn't that sort of the problem?
    He ISN'T a "Football Guy", yet he's refused to bring in a "Football Guy" (aka a GM) to run the show, instead putting himself and his brother in the decision making loop.
    So, we essentially wind up with the Wilfs having a LOT of input, without the knowledge base to make those decisions effectively.

As i_bleed_purple points out, we really aren't in such a different position as we were when Red *diddles ducks* McCombs was here, other than the fact that Wilf will spend money (or at least he WOULD prior to this year).
    In both cases, however, we were saddled with football FAN owners who fancied themselves as football GUY owners - and they aren't/weren't.

I stand by the assertion that Chiller is a lousey Head Coach.
    I don't believe he will ever do much better than he already has - i.e. I see us as an early playoff exit team, primarily due to coaching.
    But - and I've said this before too - Wilf LOVES Chiller, and I can only imagine that is must be because Chiller lets Wilf feel like he is a part of the equation.
    And that's dangerous.
    That would be like randomly selecting a PPO member and letting US run the draft and FA period...how many horrible player acquisition ideas have you seen here?
    Imagine them all happening!

Wilf needs to distance himself from the operation of the team.
    Bottom line, he isn't qualified.
    And neither is his brother...or his son...or anyone with the last name Wilf (so far as I know).
    Then he needs to hire a REAL GM to run the show.
    And the GM's first act should be to tell Chiller, "The excuses stop now.
    Either your offense produces or you pack up...and don't even THINK about throwing Bevell under the bus, because we ALL know that he has no real power or authority
    ".
    And, of course, Chillers offense WON'T change, because he's too stubborn to see that it doesn't work (I can see Chiller saying "But it works AWESOME on Madden....") and too married to his bad ideas to alter them (just like Cottrell was).

But I doubt that will happen.
    Instead, we will see another season of impressive Defense and anemic offense, followed by yet another round of excuses and empty promises from Chiller (No...really...this year he's REALLY ready to lead our team....DOH!!!!!
    Ok....now THIS year he's ready.....DOH!!!!
    Ok....wait......THIS year he's....DAMMIT!!!!
    Ok.....have faith...this really is a KAO....and Tarvaris is the guy.....really....).

Caine

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Caine" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

He ISN'T a "Football Guy", yet he's refused to bring in a "Football Guy" (aka a GM) to run the show, instead putting himself and his brother in the decision making loop.
    So, we essentially wind up with the Wilfs having a LOT of input, without the knowledge base to make those decisions effectively.

As i_bleed_purple points out, we really aren't in such a different position as we were when Red *diddles ducks* McCombs was here, other than the fact that Wilf will spend money (or at least he WOULD prior to this year).
    In both cases, however, we were saddled with football FAN owners who fancied themselves as football GUY owners - and they aren't/weren't.

I don't believe he will ever do much better than he already has - i.e. I see us as an early playoff exit team, primarily due to coaching.
    But - and I've said this before too - Wilf LOVES Chiller, and I can only imagine that is must be because Chiller lets Wilf feel like he is a part of the equation.
    And that's dangerous.
    That would be like randomly selecting a PPO member and letting US run the draft and FA period...how many horrible player acquisition ideas have you seen here?

And neither is his brother...or his son...or anyone with the last name Wilf (so far as I know).
    Either your offense produces or you pack up...and don't even THINK about throwing Bevell under the bus, because we ALL know that he has no real power or authority
    ".
    And, of course, Chillers offense WON'T change, because he's too stubborn to see that it doesn't work (I can see Chiller saying "But it works AWESOME on Madden....") and too married to his bad ideas to alter them (just like Cottrell was).

Instead, we will see another season of impressive Defense and anemic offense, followed by yet another round of excuses and empty promises from Chiller (No...really...this year he's REALLY ready to lead our team....DOH!!!!!

Ok.....have faith...this really is a KAO....and Tarvaris is the guy.....really....).

Caine

I think the problem is, he doesn't know any better.

He believes in his staff, and he doesn't know enough to disagree with what they do.

Belief in your staff is a good thing to a degree. IMO, if Childress goes no deeper in the playoffs than he did this season, he's getting the boot.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

And that's dangerous.

".

Caine

I think the problem is, he doesn't know any better.

He believes in his staff, and he doesn't know enough to disagree with what they do.

Belief in your staff is a good thing to a degree. IMO, if Childress goes no deeper in the playoffs than he did this season, he's getting the boot.
    no, I firmly believe he'll do just enough, be just a tiny bit better, that Wilf will think he's improving and give him another shot.

keystonevike is offline Starter

"Caine" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

And that's dangerous.

".

Caine

I have to agree here. Childess' offense shows little to no imagination, and we keep letting QBs that could get our offense over the hump go by the boards(i.e. Cutler,Garcia et al). Put a QB back there that a defense would have to respect and you'll stop seeing 8-9 men in the box. A defense that would have to respect the pass = Peterson MVP. The QB play and the halftime adjustments really need to improve and we could be an awesome squad.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ...He should have said, "I would close my wallet as well once I realized I wasn't gonna get a new stadium from MN.
    Rollup the doors and get the packing trucks.
    The new state will build me one."
    I agree with that...I think Ziggy is preparing to leave.

However, I also agree that his choice of Chiller has contributed a great deal to our lack of significant success.
    That lack has contributed to a lack of excitement about the team from both fans and the legislature (No one lets a superbowl caliber team to leave).
    And that lack of excitement has contributed to the lack of action on the part of the State government to correct the stadium discrepancy...after all, it isn't like the issue crept up on them.

So, in a way, you COULD blame Chiller for all of this...partly...and be absolutely correct.
    But I won't do that.
    After all, Ziggy hired him.
    So he's really got no one to blame but himself.

And if you'll recall, when we heard he was buying the team from Red *licks lemmings* McCombs, I did say that I hoped our new owner would be smart enough to hire a GM to run the team and not try and play with his "new toy".
    Ziggy couldn't resist, and the end result hasn't been what it could have been.

Caine
    The GM comment/point I will agree with you on 100%.
    As to the Chiller and no success......Not so much.
    In case no one noticed the team is better, it won the division and made it to the playoffs.

Heck, even you yourself just typed the words SB talent team.

Although I don't give him much credit for the players and how they got there, I do give him the credit for adequately articulating what type of player (skill set) he needs to execute the scheme.
    Additionally I give him credit as a coach, mostly because he actually got a team of youngster (most are now going into thier 3rd/4th year) to improve each and every year.

All of that, without a viable option at QB.
    Makes me wonder, if we were in the position to land a Franchise QB, what and this team was winning consistently, what excuse the press and state would be using to hack on the team for then.

Nope, bring on the Bowers Hill Vikings.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ...He should have said, "I would close my wallet as well once I realized I wasn't gonna get a new stadium from MN.

However, I also agree that his choice of Chiller has contributed a great deal to our lack of significant success.
    That lack has contributed to a lack of excitement about the team from both fans and the legislature (No one lets a superbowl caliber team to leave).
    And that lack of excitement has contributed to the lack of action on the part of the State government to correct the stadium discrepancy...after all, it isn't like the issue crept up on them.

So, in a way, you COULD blame Chiller for all of this...partly...and be absolutely correct.
    But I won't do that.

And if you'll recall, when we heard he was buying the team from Red *licks lemmings* McCombs, I did say that I hoped our new owner would be smart enough to hire a GM to run the team and not try and play with his "new toy".

Caine
    The GM comment/point I will agree with you on 100%.
    In case no one noticed the team is better, it won the division and made it to the playoffs.

Although I don't give him much credit for the players and how they got there, I do give him the credit for adequately articulating what type of player (skill set) he needs to execute the scheme.
    Additionally I give him credit as a coach, mostly because he actually got a team of youngster (most are now going into thier 3rd/4th year) to improve each and every year.

Makes me wonder, if we were in the position to land a Franchise QB, what and this team was winning consistently, what excuse the press and state would be using to hack on the team for then.

Nope, bring on the Bowers Hill Vikings.

;D
    Sorry, I'm going to pick on you a bit here Mar...mostly because I figured you'd chime in.

Marrdro...who should know better by now wrote:
    Is the team really better or did Chicago and Green Bay fall apart a bit?
    I'd say it's a bit of both...but the improvement here has been defensive.
    Our Offense is still anemic, but it isn't because of lack of talent (except at QB).

Yes, I did.
    And when I look at the Defense and the majority of the Offense, that's what I see.

Then I look at the Quarterback and the craptacular KAO (and the dillrods that came up with and impliment it) and I realize taht we aren't getting anywhere NEAR a Superbowl without some significant changes.

Because that's such a hard thing to do....

What type of receiver do you want coach Chiller?

Hmmmmm...let's see....I want one who can run fast....and who can catch the ball.
    And if he could jump every now and then, that would be good too.

OK...what type of linemen do you want?

Ummmm....let me think a minute....how about someone who can get in the way of the Defensive guys and slow them down a bit?

Alright, we can do that.
    How about at Quarterback?

Nah...we're good there.

How many of the "improved" guys are being directly coached by Chiller?
    The one guy we all KNOW is Chiller's project has turned out to be less-than-impressive for 2 years running.
    So, again, I wouldn't be too quick to start patting Chiller on the back here as I tend to believe he has actually had very little to do with the areas we HAVE improved in (Most notably on Defense).

We'd still have Chiller, and he'd find a way to hamstring the talent.
    Keep in mind, the primary reason we DON'T have a "Franchise QB" is because Chiller didn't want the one that was available.
    He still believes Jackson can be one, or that Sage will suddenly become one.

And this is a guy you have faith in?

DOH!!!!

Caine

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

But I won't do that.

Caine
    Interesting post. You could blame Wilf but really we have brought in some really good talent. The thing that we have lacked was a QB. From what I had read that is Childresses area. I will stick to blaming him. With a QB, IMO we win a Super Bowl or at least have a very very good chance. Winning a Super Bowl will change fans and the states minds on a stadium.
    yes, blame childress for part of it, but why isn't Wilf sticking his head in the door saying "WTF?
    why do we suck at the passing game ever since you took over brad?
    Fix it."
    I'm sure if he said that, and meant it, we'd have Cutler by now. (or at least made a significant move instead of trading for an old faster version of Frerrotte)
    From what I heard on sirius NFL, Pat Kirwan said the Broncos wanted Kevin Williams and picks from the Vikings for Cutler....I'm not sold on Jay for that price...are you?

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

But I won't do that.

Caine
    Interesting post. You could blame Wilf but really we have brought in some really good talent. The thing that we have lacked was a QB. From what I had read that is Childresses area. I will stick to blaming him. With a QB, IMO we win a Super Bowl or at least have a very very good chance. Winning a Super Bowl will change fans and the states minds on a stadium.
    yes, blame childress for part of it, but why isn't Wilf sticking his head in the door saying "WTF?
    why do we suck at the passing game ever since you took over brad?
    Fix it."
    I'm sure if he said that, and meant it, we'd have Cutler by now. (or at least made a significant move instead of trading for an old faster version of Frerrotte)
    From what I heard on sirius NFL, Pat Kirwan said the Broncos wanted Kevin Williams and picks from the Vikings for Cutler....I'm not sold on Jay for that price...are you?
    For that price...no.

But the fact remains that the QB position has been - and remains to today - a serious detracting element of our team ever since Chiller got here.
    And weak QB play, coupled with his craptacular offensive schemes, has been most blatant weakness during his tenure.
    Cutler, more than likely, would have alleviated a great deal of the suckage at that position.
    Firing Chiller would have alleviated the rest.

Caine

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Reusse points out this...

this was an offseason with few needs and few available difference-makers aged 25 to 28 and looking for their second NFL contracts.

made a generous offer to receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh

spent a total of $11.55 million (with $5 million or so guaranteed) on new talent: quarterback Sage Rosenfels in a trade, and defensive back Karl Paymah and receiver Glenn Holt as free agents.
    And then ends with this?
    This looks like an owner who has stacked millions upon millions without receiving proper rewards, and now he's said, "Enough."
    ??? ??? ??? ???

Terrible article.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast