Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    purplegang is offline Starter

Wilf says no trade in works for Pep

Updated: Feb. 24, 2006, 7:29 AM ET
    Report: Wilf tells Culpepper no trade in worksESPN.com news services
    Hounded by trade rumors in the media for more than a month, Minnesota quarterback Daunte Culpepper finally got some good news this week.

Daunte Culpepper
    Quarterback
    Minnesota Vikings

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
    Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
    216 139 1395 6 12 72.0

In an e-mail to the media Thursday, Culpepper said he clarified his standing with Vikings owner Zygi Wilf.

"I want to update the fans of Minnesota and the NFL community on my status with the Vikings. Mr. Wilf and I spoke by phone on 2/21/2006, and we each shared our concerns about my present situation," Culpepper wrote. "He told me that the Vikings have not yet spoken to other teams about trading me. I shared my disappointment with the lack of communication and the false reports about me demanding more money coming out of Minnesota. I have requested further talks so that we can explore options for the future.

"In the meantime, I have made a good faith gesture toward the organization by offering to move my roster bonus around if it will help clear more cap space to sign free agents. If I am not traded, I want to help coach Childress make a serious run for the championship this year."

A team spokesman said Wilf would not comment on Culpepper's characterization of their conversation.

Last week, Culpepper said he planned to play for the Vikings in spite of reports that the organization is considering trading him.

On Thursday, five Minnesota players told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that they hoped Culpepper would remain a Viking.

"That's crazy," left tackle Bryant McKinnie told the Pioneer Press when asked about the Culpepper trade talk. "I don't agree with trading him. Last year, they traded Randy Moss.

"I didn't like the trade last year, so I'm definitely not going to like this trade," McKinnie continued. "Trading would not solve anything. What's that going to do? Make somebody else's team better that we might have to play against?"

Culpepper, meanwhile, has tried to maintain a positive outlook.

"I have found over the years that people with knowledge of the situation are usually the most ignorant, and anonymous sources are usually synonymous with cowards who don't want to go on the record," Culpepper said last Thursday in an e-mail to ESPN and The Associated Press. "My position has been and continues to be that I am focusing on rehabilitating my knee so that I can come back and play the game I love at the highest level."

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Wilf says no trade in works for Pep

I take this as good news. It does present a bit of confusion though, especially with other teams claiming that they did talk to the Vikings about Pep. I still take Wilf at his word when he says that no other teams have been contacted, but it would be easier to do is he was more forthcoming with the press.

I think the act of moving his roster bonus around speaks volumes about Pep and the direction he wants to take his career. I attribute the majority of the money rumors to an over zealous media acting in the vacuum of information coming out of Winter Park. I also think his former agent was the one pushing the money issue more than Pep was, which is one of the reasons the Pep fired him.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Yeah, I like the news also. But come on, they didn't just pull salary demands and trade rumors out of the air like that just for fun, especially when teams claim they have done some talking on the trade like NodakPaul said.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Yep, I agree. I don't think the trade rumors were pulled out of their ass, but I have always questioned the supposed money demands. I think that was little more than Dante (or his agent) asking about the possibilty of restructuring his contract, probably because of the injury. Nothing outside that was actually comfirmed by either the Vikings or DC.

As far as the trades, I am sure there were several "unofficial" talks, but Zygi was telling the truth when he says that no teams have been "officially" contacted.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

purplegang is offline Starter

yup, the trade rumors were that ,rumors, but i would bet , Pep restructering his contract would mean we have a chance to get a quality back, and a few linemen , sometimes i wonder about the BS out there and how it gets started, now we got it from the horses mouth , No trade

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

great news!

Go vikes!!

TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

I think I remember hearing something like this last year at this time, except one guys name was Red and the others was Moss. We all know how that turned up. I hope Zygi is being honest with us as I would hate to see Pep go. I have a feeling that Daunte will be back and better than ever next year. Like Bryant McKinnie said, why trade him to another team and make them better, we may have to face them next year. BTW, we do play the Dolphins next year. Also Arizona. I would hate to go against Pep.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"purplegang" wrote:
    yup, the trade rumors were that ,rumors, but i would bet , Pep restructering his contract would mean we have a chance to get a quality back, and a few linemen , sometimes i wonder about the BS out there and how it gets started, now we got it from the horses mouth , No trade

We would have had the cap room and the dough to sign a RB, Linemen, and whoever else we wanted to even if Culpepper would have been traded, kept here and recieved more money, or refused to defer his bonus money. DC offering to do that is not the main reason we would be able to go out and sign FA's. It's a nice gesture on his part, but we are the 3rd lowest cap team in the NFL.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I heard it on the news as well too.. Im glad he is staying most likely

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Me, I'm waitin' ta hear what Zygi has ta say, y'know? I want him ta confoim what Daunte said, just to make sure he ain't pullin' dis out his rear, y'know? I'd feel betta if Daunte were up in Minnysoda doin' his rehab, so he can get ta know da coaches, and dey can monitor his rehab, y'know?

Not dat I'm suspicious or nuthin'....
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast