Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Wilf asks for patience in rebuilding

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I liked Wilf's comments.
    It is rather obvious that Seifert tried as hard as he could to put a negative spin on it though:

And while asking for patience from the team's rabid fan base, Wilf said "I'm going to stick to my guns" no matter what level of protest he encounters.
    The green is an actual quote from WIlf, the red is Seifert's addition. Also, check out the poll:

Poll: Are the Vikings heading in the right direction?
    Their moves are confounding, but I'm keeping the faith.
    This is all very depressing.
    I have no idea.
    I just don't care.
    Ummm, what happened to the vote for "Yes".
    The closest I could vote was the first one, but to be honest, I am not confounded.
    I understand and support the personnel moves the Vikings have made.
    Seifert just wanted it to seem like all the choices were negative. Idiot.

And coreyd... Nah, I have nothing to say here.
    Why even try and debate with someone who ignores all the facts...
    lmao

I didn't even notice the poll. What a joke.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Feucht72" wrote:
    First off, everyone can rag on billick but he has a ring, I dont care how you spin it.

Second off, how do you consider Dungy's stint in Tampa a failure?
    He had many winning seasons.

And you're probably right, Tampa won the super bowl BECAUSE of Gruden, had absolutely nothin to do with the players that Dungy had in place in that system.

For god sakes, he created the system that a bunch of defenses run in the NFL, INCLUDING Minnesota!!!
    Did it take him awhile to win a super bowl, sure it did, but he actually won one didnt he?
    How many trips did he take to the super bowl before he won one?
    Probably wasnt four huh?
    Tony Dungy did NOT create the Cover 2 defense.
    Chuck Noll (ever heard of him?) is credited with the creation of the Cover 2 scheme.
    Dungy (and his underapreciated Defensive Coordinator, Monte Kiffin) made modifications to the Cover 2 which ALL coaches do to the schemes they adopt.
    Lovie Smith's Bears don't run the same Cover 2 as Dungy's Colts.
    Adaptations are made based on talent and coaching preferences.
    Tomlin was forced to blitz a lot more last season than traditional Cover 2 schemes because of the lack of a pass rush by the 4 D-Linemen.

My personal feeling on Dungy is that the Vikings should have fired Denny Green and replaced him with Dungy before Dungy was allowed to leave for Tampa.

But the point still remains - the Vikings aren't training anyone to win Championships and then letting them go.
    Just because a coach or a player finds success somewhere other than Minnesota it does not mean the Vikings were stupid to let them go.
    They cannot keep everyone.

Is Parcells an idiot for letting Belichek go?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Feucht72" wrote:
    First off, everyone can rag on billick but he has a ring, I dont care how you spin it.

Second off, how do you consider Dungy's stint in Tampa a failure?
    He had many winning seasons.

And you're probably right, Tampa won the super bowl BECAUSE of Gruden, had absolutely nothin to do with the players that Dungy had in place in that system.

For god sakes, he created the system that a bunch of defenses run in the NFL, INCLUDING Minnesota!!!
    Did it take him awhile to win a super bowl, sure it did, but he actually won one didnt he?
    How many trips did he take to the super bowl before he won one?
    Probably wasnt four huh?
    Tony Dungy did NOT create the Cover 2 defense.
    Chuck Noll (ever heard of him?) is credited with the creation of the Cover 2 scheme.
    Dungy (and his underapreciated Defensive Coordinator, Monte Kiffin) made modifications to the Cover 2 which ALL coaches do to the schemes they adopt.
    Lovie Smith's Bears don't run the same Cover 2 as Dungy's Colts.
    Adaptations are made based on talent and coaching preferences.
    Tomlin was forced to blitz a lot more last season than traditional Cover 2 schemes because of the lack of a pass rush by the 4 D-Linemen.

My personal feeling on Dungy is that the Vikings should have fired Denny Green and replaced him with Dungy before Dungy was allowed to leave for Tampa.

But the point still remains - the Vikings aren't training anyone to win Championships and then letting them go.
    Just because a coach or a player finds success somewhere other than Minnesota it does not mean the Vikings were stupid to let them go.
    They cannot keep everyone.

Is Parcells an idiot for letting Belichek go?

=Z=

He is credited however to the Tampa 2, which the poster could have been refering to.

Tony Dungy was available when we took Mike Tice, the decision to go in house and hand the reigns over to a guy who didn't even have cordinator experience when Dungy was available still haunts my dreams.

If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

real inspiring wilf.
    "we can't expect to be a super bowl contender but we can hope." wow, really instills confidence in me that they know what they are doing.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    He is credited however to the Tampa 2, which the poster could have been refering to.

Tony Dungy was available when we took Mike Tice, the decision to go in house and hand the reigns over to a guy who didn't even have cordinator experience when Dungy was available still haunts my dreams.
    And I said as much in my post.
    Dungy modified the Cover 2 scheme he learned while in Pittsburgh and implemented it with great success (and considerable help from Kiffen) while in Tampa.

And failed to win a darn thing other than a couple of Divisional crowns.

It wasn't until he was paired with the best QB in the league that he won, and even that took several seasons of choking before the Colts took the title.

The notion that Dungy was trained in Minnesota to win a championship is ludicrous and that was what I was originally responding to, before the newbie started blathering about how Dungy created the Cover 2.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Del; Dungy was long gone, in TB or Indy at the time Tice was promoted by Red.

But I agree with someone else far above, that either Dungy, in the mid 90's, or ( my addition to their suggestion ) Billick, in the early 00's, should have been promoted after dumping Enny long before his 10th year.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

"Mikecarter81" wrote:
    *Sarcastic comment on*

Wow, a change from the norm, man that can't be?
    I thought as a viking fan I was supose to like going 9-7 or 10-6 every year to only be bounced from the playoffs early.
    God knows our banners are filled with championships, I don't know about you guys, but packer fans never remind me of this fact.

Sarscastic comment off*

Seriously guys, we don't like to hear it, but its time for change.
    The old way wasn't working and its time to look at other alternatives.
    Only a fool continues to try and succeed where past failure as been the result.
    The same could be said about our football team.
    I'm willing to wait three years if it means championship level play.

Mike

Everybody needs to read what he wrote.Couldnt have said it ANY better then that folks.

All you young GrassHoppas, patience is virtue.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Del; Dungy was long gone, in TB or Indy at the time Tice was promoted by Red.

But I agree with someone else far above, that either Dungy, in the mid 90's, or ( my addition to their suggestion ) Billick, in the early 00's, should have been promoted after dumping Enny long before his 10th year.

Dungy had not signed in Indy and he had just been let go by Tampa Bay, he was on the market.

Mike Tice was an interm he was not signed until Jan 10th 2002 as the head coach, Tony Dungy was not signed until Jan 22nd 2002.

Dungy was fired in 2001.

He was on the market we handed the reigns over to Tice.

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

And I said as much in my post.
    Dungy modified the Cover 2 scheme he learned while in Pittsburgh and implemented it with great success (and considerable help from Kiffen) while in Tampa.

And failed to win a darn thing other than a couple of Divisional crowns.

It wasn't until he was paired with the best QB in the league that he won, and even that took several seasons of choking before the Colts took the title.

The notion that Dungy was trained in Minnesota to win a championship is ludicrous and that was what I was originally responding to, before the newbie started blathering about how Dungy created the Cover 2.

=Z=
    A simple glance at Tampa Bays playoff record before and after Dungy is all that needs to be told, and yes you do not have to win a superbowl to be a good coach.

Feucht72 is offline Waterboy

Sorry almighty Zeus, maybe you should have your own forum where you can sit and agree with yourself.

Yea, a "newbie"
    just told your vet @ss to cram it

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast