Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    grpape is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Wilf asks for patience in rebuilding

"coreyd" wrote:
    What I expect from an NFL team to make it:
    1- Go after KEY free agents when available......
    2- DO NOT let go of players on our roster that help make our team better.....
    3- BE AGGRESSIVE during the NFL draft. This includes trading up and drafting players that are impact players.....
    4- DO NOT train people to win championships and then send them off to another team....

Also, why do we have 22 coaches? The most in the league? That boggles my mind. What are they coaching? Why do we need so many? And do we need someone to come in for the draft? How much intellegence does it take? The first couple rounds are usually a given. After that its all hit or miss anyway.

Just wanted to share my opinion. I have not seen the Vikings do much in the past couple years. Not even talking about our record. I am talking about forward momentum in general. Are they telling us that our draft is going to make our future team? If so, why? Why dont we make a few moves in offseason? Because of cheap owners! Now he is going to the rest of the league for money? Give me a break. Spend the money you have in the first place!

Just a few random thoughts from the brain!.
    Hmmm. Let's see, last year Wilf spent a bit of coin. This year there wasn't much to merit breaking the bank. And as Snow has stated, were you not a fan during the Red era?

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"coreyd" wrote:
    Sure if only and KEY FA had been available. Everyone knew that the FA pool were thin. And a lot of teams were eager to overpay because of the new CBA
    Lucky we haven't done that then.
    3- BE AGGRESSIVE during the NFL draft. This includes trading up and drafting players that are impact players.....
    I disagree. Successfully franchises - like fx. New England - build through the draft. Not necessarily by moving up for bluechippers, but rather by finding the right players throughout the draft, players that will fit the things you are looking to do on your team.
    4- DO NOT train people to win championships and then send them off to another team....
    Ok, I'm not sure what your point is. I don't mind people grooming within the system. That is the way you build a winner. Sure you don't want to loose your players, but that is the name of the business sometimes for everyone. But that doesn't mean that you can't keep contributers on your own team.

Also, why do we have 22 coaches? The most in the league? That boggles my mind. What are they coaching? Why do we need so many? And do we need someone to come in for the draft? How much intellegence does it take? The first couple rounds are usually a given. After that its all hit or miss anyway.
    What is it that to bitch about. If they believe that they can bring in guys to contribute, by teaching the players what they have to do, I'm all for it. I have seen this argument been brought up from time to time, and MY mind is boggled by why it's used by everyone outside of the organization to question the leadership.

Just wanted to share my opinion. I have not seen the Vikings do much in the past couple years. Not even talking about our record. I am talking about forward momentum in general. Are they telling us that our draft is going to make our future team? If so, why? Why dont we make a few moves in offseason? Because of cheap owners! Now he is going to the rest of the league for money? Give me a break. Spend the money you have in the first place!

I don't think Wilf is cheap at all, and I also think we'll improve this year. At least we'll see the playing on the field improve in various areas. And until the season starts and I can analyze some actual football, I'm not going to question the players that were brought here.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Great article.
    Finally the Zigster speaks.
    Might help quiet the Naysayers.
    Name following band wagon jumpers will still jump ship
    ;D

I know its early but quote of the week........

Only a fool continues to try and succeed where past failure as been the result.
    Good on ya Mikecarter81
    ;D

Also, why do we have 22 coaches? The most in the league? That boggles my mind. What are they coaching? Why do we need so many?
    Are you kidding me.
    Evidently you don't remember the days of NO coaches and a HC who didn't have a clue.

Re-read the article and remember what alot of us on this page have been saying......

They are gonna build through the draft with YOUNG players.
    Guess what, that will require some extensive coaching.

Is your mind un-boggled?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"coreyd" wrote:

What KEY FREE AGENTS should the Vikings have brought in?
    The #3 receiver from St. Louis who wanted an obscene amount of money?
    The overpaid and underperforming O-lineman from Arizona who has never made a pro bowl and who wanted an obscene amount of money?

What players were let go that made our team better?
    The overpaid 3rd CB?
    The oft-injured and whining veteran WR?

As has been pointed out here by myself and numerous others, it takes 2 teams to make a trade, who do you suggest the Vikings TRADE UP with?
    Are you willing to give up many many picks for 1 single player?
    Is that the correct long-term strategy?

Who, exactly, have the Vikings trained to win championships and then let go?
    Billick?
    That monkey inherited the best defense in the NFL and then used his offensive "genius" to produce the worst Super Bowl winning offense in history?
    Dungy?
    You mean the man who failed in his first head coaching job after he left the Vikings and then inherited the best QB in the league on his second job - and STILL choked in the playoffs over and over again before finally breaking through?

It's convenient to ignore the facts when you're ranting, isn't it?

Finally, Wilf is not "going to the rest of the league for money".
    On the contrary, his requests for more funds (if you bothered to read the article) was sent to the other OWNERS OF THE TEAM.
    The NFL has established a revenue-sharing plan to help teams with crappy stadiums and crappy stadium deals - and the Vikings, with the lowest stadium revenue of the 32 teams in the NFL, qualify for some of that money, through no fault of Zygi Wilf's.

That's the reality.
    If you don't like it, keep bitching and keep whining and make sure you don't go to the games or watch them on TV.
    Because sooner or later, your attitude and lack of support, when combined with others of the "FIX IT NOW!" generation will succeed in one thing - driving the team out of Minnesota.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler

I liked the article too. Teams like the Browns, Lions, Raiders, ect have been terrible for years but their fans dont complain as much as the Vikings ones do... Everyone wants huge free agent signing every year, like the Redskins, but when was the last time the Redskins won a championship that way. Wilf is doing it right. Build in the draft. Have patience people!

Keep an eye on the Jaguars draft. Tice was a stud when it came to drafting good players and that is something I will really miss about him.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I liked Wilf's comments.
    It is rather obvious that Seifert tried as hard as he could to put a negative spin on it though:

And while asking for patience from the team's rabid fan base, Wilf said "I'm going to stick to my guns" no matter what level of protest he encounters.
    The green is an actual quote from WIlf, the red is Seifert's addition. Also, check out the poll:

Poll: Are the Vikings heading in the right direction?
    Their moves are confounding, but I'm keeping the faith.
    This is all very depressing.
    I have no idea.
    I just don't care.
    Ummm, what happened to the vote for "Yes".
    The closest I could vote was the first one, but to be honest, I am not confounded.
    I understand and support the personnel moves the Vikings have made.
    Seifert just wanted it to seem like all the choices were negative. Idiot.

And coreyd... Nah, I have nothing to say here.
    Why even try and debate with someone who ignores all the facts...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

He spent too much money last year.

That's all this boild down to. He went all out last year and now people expect the same every season even when there isn't anything worth buying.

That's why I give my kids socks for X-mas to keep em grounded.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    He spent too much money last year.

That's all this boild down to. He went all out last year and now people expect the same every season even when there isn't anything worth buying.

That's why I give my kids socks for X-mas to keep em grounded.
    You're to nice, I usually got used belly button lint.

"coreyd" wrote:

Are steps 1-4 what Indy and NE did to win so many SBs in the current decade (00's)?
    It doesn't seem like their (NE, Indy) formula for success to me.
    I think it is 'build solid lines, and add top level skill players in positions closest to the lines; i.e. QB, MLB, OLB'.

The large number of coaches is part of the Vikings rebuilding plan.
    They are needed to teach the younger players that are being targetted for acquisition thru the draft and free agency.
    Older players will only be sparingly used, to fill gaping holes which are not capable of being filled by young(er) players.
    And older players will not be used to mentor younger players.
    That is often wasteful of roster spots better used for depth and STs.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Feucht72 is offline Waterboy

First off, everyone can rag on billick but he has a ring, I dont care how you spin it.

Second off, how do you consider Dungy's stint in Tampa a failure?
    He had many winning seasons.

And you're probably right, Tampa won the super bowl BECAUSE of Gruden, had absolutely nothin to do with the players that Dungy had in place in that system.

For god sakes, he created the system that a bunch of defenses run in the NFL, INCLUDING Minnesota!!!
    Did it take him awhile to win a super bowl, sure it did, but he actually won one didnt he?
    How many trips did he take to the super bowl before he won one?
    Probably wasnt four huh?

Now, as for the free agent griping and moaning.

I will simply state it, I am a pessimist, so I never look at the glass as half full.

I am goin to try to put it the most optimistic way that I can.

The team doesnt have to sign a big name free agent for me to be happy, they just have to explain to me why they signed a "no-namer" (as some call it).

I just want to see the potential for this guy(s).

I want to know why this guy is gonna bring us some results if he has failed to do so previously.

I can see "shank" as a diamond in the rough, but Vinny and Wade I'm a little bit more skeptical.

You can criticize me all you want for my views, but the whole point anyone watches the NFL is simply to see their team win.

If their has little hope of winning many games, you know in turn that there is little chance your team is gonna win the super bowl.

And why do we all watch our vikings every sunday?
    (and sometimes thursday)
    We want to see them win a championship!!!
    When there is little hope for that, you are gonna be critical of whats goin on with a team your bleed for.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast