Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Why are you a Vikings Fan?

Yes best to avoid being an asshole right off the bat.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"Jobisen" wrote:
    I stayed a summer in Minnesota, the year of the strike.

Fotball has always fascinated me and i like getting into stuff that is not that popular. And believe me NFL is not that big in Sweden. :-)

Anyway around this time cable TV got to Sweden, before that we only had 2 channels. The new channels had really nothing to show so they started to buy whatever they could. Football (college and NFL), MBL etc. Guess they got it cheap. I picked up the rules and also got some of my friends interested. Since I had been to Minnesota Vikings became my team, my friends picked Broncos and Rams.

At the same time Football started to show up at Swedish schools, we got a challenge from another school and of course we accepted. Well we did not really have the equipment so we put on hockey stuff, mc helmets etc.

Since i was the fast and did not mind pain and we couldn’t really throw the ball I became the 100% guy to go to, I do not think I have to tell u that the other team figured out who would get the ball after i had carried it 20 times in a row. It was a miracle I could walk the next day.

My favourite teams after my stay were.

Twins, went to one game. ïÅ* We killed Detroit
    North Stars, they moves so now I do not really care if I would pick a team I would take Toronto since i like M. Sundin.
    Vikings

And after watching a game where Ty Detmer played great I also like BYU, yeah i know Mormons etc, but I thought it was cool to see him tear up Miami U (I think it was Miami U).

So how is it to follow NFL from Sweden?

Well the first years we had Cable, it was free and we got one game a week, then they found out that people did not really care about it so they cancelled it. 2 years with nothing and then they started to send Superbowl.

This was "before" internet so to get information about who won we had to call the USAToday hotline so every Sunday or Monday night i called the line to get score. Wednesday and Thursday I bought the paper edition of USA Today to get the stats.

After a few years one Swedish channel started to send NFL, we got 1 h highlights, we also got superbowl, the problem was that we had Swedish commentators, stuff like, "Joe Montana the best centre forward in the game" happened. But we were happy we got to see some games.

Then Internet came, i was alot on Usenet and got information from that, I also joined my first FFL, of course I won with the Stockholm Vikings. :-)

So how is it nowadays? We get MNF the whole season, halfway into the season we also get one game on Sunday, we get all playoff games and of course superbowl. We also get the NFL Blitz ( i think it is some NFL Network product they sell to TV channels outside the U.S.)

Oo I almost forgot, we (me and my friends) bought preview magazines before each season, from these we had heated discussions and memorized everything, who played in what college, what stats did that QB have etc. I still get 4-6 magazines before each season. I don’t memorize stats like I used to but I like reading about the teams and trying to figure out who will have a great year and why Vikings doesn’t win it all. ïÅ*

Anyway the above is why I am a Viking fan.
    That's hardcore ... Welcome and post often !!! You found the most informative vikings site on the net .... not to mention the most active. Look forward to hearing your insights on the best team in the NFL.

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "DaunteHOF" wrote:
    I became a fan because of Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss, A top QB and the top WR, so I was like "yo I'm a vikings fan" Now you ****** tricked me and traded them away. I would stop being a Vikings fan but I loyal like a dog so I'm in it for the long haul, whether I like it or not
    For crying out loud...you make me sick. People who are a fan of the player, not the team. Why don't you just become 1/2 Raider and 1/2 Doplhins fan then?

Especially after the hundreds of whining and repitive posts about Pep leaving; I did now know a man to cry so much.

Yup, when they traded them both their goals were to trick you...and only you.

You will get wood for another player soon and jump to a new team; probably a contender also.

/rant
    Feeling aggressive much?

Cut the kid some slack. There have been people on this board that have said they started watching the Vikings because of Tark or Alan Page or Jim Marshall, etc. Are you going to tell me that they are bandwagon fans? Of course not. Why? Because that was decades ago and they are still here. So the high flying act of '98 and Culpepper\Moss brought some fair weather fans around but all of that is gone and the kid is still here. True, he's done a fair bit of whining about the trades but he's still here.

I say give him a break and if you get tired of him, do what I do and skip his posts (at least the ones regarding Culpepper and Moss).

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Been a fan since the 1970's.

I don't remember exactly why - too young to remember, but I think it was in part because "Fran The Man" was born on the same day & month as I was.

Have had my hopes dashed every single year since, but I keep showing up for the next season in full purple attire ready for battle.

Maybe someday we'll finish the job started by such Legendary Viking Squads as those found in 1998 & the mid-1970's.

I'm excited with the current changes, and hope we can pull off a dynasty run here to make up for all those years of heartbreak and agony!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Del Rio Guest

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "DaunteHOF" wrote:
    I became a fan because of Daunte Culpepper and Randy Moss, A top QB and the top WR, so I was like "yo I'm a vikings fan" Now you ****** tricked me and traded them away. I would stop being a Vikings fan but I loyal like a dog so I'm in it for the long haul, whether I like it or not
    For crying out loud...you make me sick. People who are a fan of the player, not the team. Why don't you just become 1/2 Raider and 1/2 Doplhins fan then?

Especially after the hundreds of whining and repitive posts about Pep leaving; I did now know a man to cry so much.

Yup, when they traded them both their goals were to trick you...and only you.

You will get wood for another player soon and jump to a new team; probably a contender also.

/rant
    Feeling aggressive much?

Cut the kid some slack. There have been people on this board that have said they started watching the Vikings because of Tark or Alan Page or Jim Marshall, etc. Are you going to tell me that they are bandwagon fans? Of course not. Why? Because that was decades ago and they are still here. So the high flying act of '98 and Culpepper\Moss brought some fair weather fans around but all of that is gone and the kid is still here. True, he's done a fair bit of whining about the trades but he's still here.

I say give him a break and if you get tired of him, do what I do and skip his posts (at least the ones regarding Culpepper and Moss).

-DD
    I think this line is the line that attracted an aggressive response: "Now you muthafuckas tricked me and traded them away"

You may be right some fans may have started watching because of a specific player, the difference being they do not reminded you daily that the organization is horrible for getting rid of their favorite players. The majority of their posts do not cry about Fran Tarkenton being traded....if they did I assure you that eventually they would be agressively responded too as well.

He has to read every post. He is a mod.

Continued whining in addition to him saying what I quoted up top, is probably what drew the replies he recieved.

"ZDoy379" wrote:
    well i like the pittsburgh steelers now. the detroit pistons are nice too. i liked the tampa bay lightning before but now im not sure who i like. the white sox are also my favorite MLB team. Texas Longhorns and the Florida gators are nice too. texas for college football and the gators for college basketball. oh im sorry i forgot to tell you my name. I'm DaunteHOF nice to meet you!
    This guy reminds me off all those jacka$ses back in the 1990's with stickers of the Bulls, Yankees, and Cowboys on their cars.....Bandwagon pr!cks !!!! Nice, ZDoy379, LMAO.....

Hey DaunteHOF... the Vikings have traded players like Tarkenton, Millard, and have released others like Eller, Page.....

It's part of the game, no need to start dropping the F bombs.
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"vikesoto" wrote:
    "ZDoy379" wrote:
    well i like the pittsburgh steelers now. the detroit pistons are nice too. i liked the tampa bay lightning before but now im not sure who i like. the white sox are also my favorite MLB team. Texas Longhorns and the Florida gators are nice too. texas for college football and the gators for college basketball. oh im sorry i forgot to tell you my name. I'm DaunteHOF nice to meet you!
    This guy reminds me off all those jacka$ses back in the 1990's with stickers of the Bulls, Yankees, and Cowboys on their cars.....Bandwagon pr!cks !!!!
    ...its every team in each sport that has won a title in the past 2 years! Can't be true, dudes closet must look like a foot locker store

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

"mnjamie" wrote:
    "Jobisen" wrote:
    I stayed a summer in Minnesota, the year of the strike.

Fotball has always fascinated me and i like getting into stuff that is not that popular. And believe me NFL is not that big in Sweden. :-)

Anyway around this time cable TV got to Sweden, before that we only had 2 channels. The new channels had really nothing to show so they started to buy whatever they could. Football (college and NFL), MBL etc. Guess they got it cheap. I picked up the rules and also got some of my friends interested. Since I had been to Minnesota Vikings became my team, my friends picked Broncos and Rams.

At the same time Football started to show up at Swedish schools, we got a challenge from another school and of course we accepted. Well we did not really have the equipment so we put on hockey stuff, mc helmets etc.

Since i was the fast and did not mind pain and we couldn’t really throw the ball I became the 100% guy to go to, I do not think I have to tell u that the other team figured out who would get the ball after i had carried it 20 times in a row. It was a miracle I could walk the next day.

My favourite teams after my stay were.

Twins, went to one game. ïÅ* We killed Detroit
    North Stars, they moves so now I do not really care if I would pick a team I would take Toronto since i like M. Sundin.
    Vikings

And after watching a game where Ty Detmer played great I also like BYU, yeah i know Mormons etc, but I thought it was cool to see him tear up Miami U (I think it was Miami U).

So how is it to follow NFL from Sweden?

Well the first years we had Cable, it was free and we got one game a week, then they found out that people did not really care about it so they cancelled it. 2 years with nothing and then they started to send Superbowl.

This was "before" internet so to get information about who won we had to call the USAToday hotline so every Sunday or Monday night i called the line to get score. Wednesday and Thursday I bought the paper edition of USA Today to get the stats.

After a few years one Swedish channel started to send NFL, we got 1 h highlights, we also got superbowl, the problem was that we had Swedish commentators, stuff like, "Joe Montana the best centre forward in the game" happened. But we were happy we got to see some games.

Then Internet came, i was alot on Usenet and got information from that, I also joined my first FFL, of course I won with the Stockholm Vikings. :-)

So how is it nowadays? We get MNF the whole season, halfway into the season we also get one game on Sunday, we get all playoff games and of course superbowl. We also get the NFL Blitz ( i think it is some NFL Network product they sell to TV channels outside the U.S.)

Oo I almost forgot, we (me and my friends) bought preview magazines before each season, from these we had heated discussions and memorized everything, who played in what college, what stats did that QB have etc. I still get 4-6 magazines before each season. I don’t memorize stats like I used to but I like reading about the teams and trying to figure out who will have a great year and why Vikings doesn’t win it all. ïÅ*

Anyway the above is why I am a Viking fan.
    That's hardcore ... Welcome and post often !!! You found the most informative vikings site on the net .... not to mention the most active. Look forward to hearing your insights on the best team in the NFL.
    ~ Wow, he's been a member since Sept 16th of 2004!! With 5 posts! At least he still remember us...lol

AusTexVike is offline Waterboy

Just about the time I started to become aware of the NFL the Vikings drafted Kramer. He was hot shite - state champ at San Antonio Lee and then a star at Rice. And he was cool. So I got on board and have gladly suffered every season since.

I got to go to my first Vikings game in Houston 2004 - the OT win.

PurplePride80 is offline Star Spokesman

I'm also a Viking fan, that isn't from Minnesota.

I'm from Richmond Virginia and my mom and I, moved to Wisconsin about 9-10 years ago. At first, I didn't know anything about football, believe it or not, I didn't even know that the packers had won the Superbowl in 1996. And that's because I didn't start following football until we moved to Wisconsin.

Eventually, I just started following the Minnesota Vikings and I've been a fan ever since.
    In the P.J.'s, my blend tape plays, bullets are strays
    Young bitches is grazed
    Each block, is like a maze, full of black rats trapped
    Plus the Island is packed
    From what I hear in all the stories when my peoples come back, black

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast