Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Why we shouldn't draft a QB in the 1st...

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Did you just say Ben Rottenburger was a light hitter? The Ben that just won the superbowl?

Seriously?

Seriously????????????????????????????
    I WILL say that he's not any better than Trent Dilfer was in 2000! :lol:
    Certainly proves the case that you don't always need a pro-bowl calibre QB at the helm, but do need one that gets the job done in conjunction with the rest of the team.
    One thing I did read on a mail list- the poster suggested that if Cutler was gone by the time the Vikes pick came round, then they expect Atlanta to want to trade Schaub for the Vikes #17 in order to pick up one of the higher rated OT's in the draft - anyone think this is a viable option or just a misguided poster ?? :lol:
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Del Rio Guest

"AngloVike" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    Did you just say Ben Rottenburger was a light hitter? The Ben that just won the superbowl?

Seriously?

Certainly proves the case that you don't always need a pro-bowl calibre QB at the helm, but do need one that gets the job done in conjunction with the rest of the team.
    One thing I did read on a mail list- the poster suggested that if Cutler was gone by the time the Vikes pick came round, then they expect Atlanta to want to trade Schaub for the Vikes #17 in order to pick up one of the higher rated OT's in the draft - anyone think this is a viable option or just a misguided poster ?? :lol:
    I think it is highly unlikely.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Seriously?

Really?

I think Ben put his team in a position to win.

Dlifer did not have to; the Defense put him in a position to win.

I think you are clouded because you hate him.
    Yes...I admit it...I HATE Big *** Ben!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Seriously?

Really?

Ok, fair.

That would help explain why you are way off in analyzing him compared to the 2000 Dilfer.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Seriously?

I guess you are right if you think:

Trents 1502 yards are = to Bens 2385 yards

Trents 59.3%comp is = to Bens 62.7%

Trents 12 Td's are = to Bens 17 Td's

Trents 11 INT's are = to Bens 9

Or if

Trents 76.6 QB rating is = to Bens 98.6 rating

If you belive in all that then yes I guess I would have to agree with you when you say that he's not any better than Trent Dilfer was in 2000
    OK...you got me...but Ben is definitely not any better than Brad was when the Bucs won the Super Bowl...and Brad didn't get anywhere NEAR the butt-kissing that Big *** Ben is getting this year!

Brad's stats:

Atts 281 Comps 451 Percentage 62.3 Yards 3049 TDs 22 INTs 6

And YES...I do HATE Big *** Ben...mainly because the media has been riding his jock since he came into the league!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

Seriously?

Really?

Ok, fair.

That would help explain why you are way off in analyzing him compared to the 2000 Dilfer.
    BUT see my Brad comparison...much more comparable!!! :razz:

I still think that brad can put up those kind of numbers too! its very possible and I think that with this new offense we are implementing...he shall be very successful!

Would you consider a trade up to the 6-8 pick if he fell after the 5th pick?

I dont know if I would trade up to get him....but after seeing what he did to Brady Quinn....i was just in awe after that game...he is one great leader and performer...but personally...if I were in charge...I wouldnt trade up....it could just cost too much....

"ChezPizmo" wrote:
    ( http://nfl.com/draft/story/9359474 )
    [size=24px]History, depth could keep Hawk out of top five[/size]

(April 5, 2006) -- The NFL draft is getting closer, and there are teams that spend a lot of time on the history of where certain position players are selected.

We regularly hear about the "elite" positions like quarterback, pass-rushing defensive ends, cover corners, defensive tackles with rare size/speed ratios, and offensive left tackles. The great ones at these positions get gobbled up quickly year in and year out. When multiple players end up the evaluation process with the same numerical grades, the position they play usually is the deciding factor.

With that in mind, this draft has the terrific Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk in the top 10 on every draft board. In fact, former Cleveland Browns head coach Butch Davis lists him as his top defensive player in the draft, which makes him a top-five player. The consensus opinion of the NFL personnel people and coaches I have spoken with is Hawk is about No. 5 or No. 6 on most draft boards at this early stage of "stacking" the draft board.

Now the draft historians take a look at the success rate of taking a linebacker in the top of the draft. Linebackers have a checkered past in the draft.

I went back as far as 1990 to look at the NFL draft patterns for all linebackers in the first round to see if there is a case to take Hawk as high as fifth in the draft, or is closer to 10th -- the comfort level people who study these patterns would like to see. (I eliminated the 'tweeners who became defensive ends; even though they were listed as linebackers, they were drafted to put their hand on the ground and rush the passer.)

There were some interesting patterns over the past 16 years that will be discussed in war rooms around the league.

Since 1990, there have been only 39 outside linebackers drafted in the first round, and only 15 inside/middle linebackers to hear their name called in the opening round. Let's take it a step further and look at how many of those 54 linebackers were drafted in the top 10 picks. Only eight outside linebackers and six inside/middle linebackers were top-10 selections since 1990. That's less than one per year.

With Hawk up near the top of the board, I drilled down to see how many linebackers have been selected in the top five picks.

Now the numbers are down to seven outside 'backers and only two inside guys. That's nine linebackers in the top five over the past 16 years. The average draft position in the first round for all linebackers is the 15th or 16th spot. The linebackers of note who have been picked late in the first round are Derrick Brooks (No. 28 in 1995), Ray Lewis (No. 26 in 1996) and Al Wilson (No. 31 in 1999), which looks as good or even better than the group drafted in the top five.

NFL LINEBACKERS PICKED WITH A TOP FIVE PICK
    1990 Junior Seau
    1991 Mike Croel
    1992 Quentin Coryatt
    1993 Marvin Jones
    1994 Willie McGinest, Trev Albert
    1995 None
    1996 Kevin Hardy
    1997 Peter Boulware
    1998 None
    1999 None
    2000 LaVar Arrington
    2001 None
    2002 None
    2003 None
    2004 None
    2005 None

As you can see, the pattern of drafting linebackers in the top five picks has really dropped off, so it will be difficult for Hawk to reverse this trend even though he deserves to be recognized as a top player in this draft. Hawk has 368 career tackles, 37 tackles for a loss and 14½ sacks (9½ in 2005).

The depth at the linebacker position, which I believe is the deepest of all the defensive positions, could be another factor that could work against Hawk. Ernie Sims, Chad Greenway, DeMeco Ryans, Bobby Carpenter, Manny Lawson, Kamerion Wimbley and Thomas Howard among others who easily could be options for a team if it decides to select at another position early in the first round with thoughts of coming back in the early second round.
    Yes...but it is possible this year...only because a team like the packers could draft him...because they are in need of a leader/great player on defense....if he happened to fall out of the top five...would any of you consider trading up to 6-8 to try to get him?

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    BUT see my Brad comparison...much more comparable!!! :razz:
    Thats because you are "fishing".

Sooner or later you would have found somebody to compare Ben to? Why are you doing that anyways? Crap, all the of the above mentioned QB's won Super Bowls; thats pretty respectable to begin with.

I had no clue that brad's stats were that good the year he won the superbowl....that tampa team was pretty dang good....! and the awesome thing is that brad still has the capibilities...just needs the right system... :lol:

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast