Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87
  1. #21
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,955

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    "IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    2007
    Seattle Seahawks
    6

    6

    32

    384

    12.0


    59


    3

    In just 6 games he had 3 TDs The only Vikings Receiver with more than 3 TDs for all of last season was Sidney Rice with 4.

    In just 6 games he had more receptions than anybody on our team had throughout the entire season except Bobby Wade.

    In just 6 games he had 384 yards... Fergy had 391 on the season, and Rice had 396 on the entire season.


    Granted they played for different teams and different standards in QB, but interesting none the less.
    How many games did he end up playing all of the 07' season? I'm just asking because I really don't know. For some reason, however, I don't think he finished the season. Am I right? Heck those six game stats are great. But what happens after that? You need someone that you can pretty much count on to last the whole season.

    I understand what you are saying. Hear me out. We sign Hackett and he breaks out for six games. This in turn opens up defenses so AD can run crazy on them. After six games, however, he gets injured and is done for the season. What do you think defense are going to do now? Yup, they will stack the box again, because you no longer have that deep threat. If you have someone that catches the deep ball once in awhile, the defenses will always have to keep that in the back of their mind. We see them stacking the box, we send BB deep, and hopefully he makes the defense pay. Sooner than later, the defense will back out of loading the box. Other defense coordinatiors see this before they play us, and they will have to decide which poison to take. Sorry for the long post.
    he only played 6 games all season because he was injured...injuries happen...if we were worried about "injury prone players" then we would have never drafted Peterson.

    Just because he got injured last year does not mean he is going to get injured every other year.

    After six games, however, he gets injured and is done for the season.
    After six games, he continues his good play in the field and helps our team team win games...

    (Why do we always have to be negative and look at the bad side of things?)
    I agree.. I'm not sure why he isn't signed yet, but nonetheless.. he's better than Wade and is made for the wco!... BB on the other hand i think is more suited for a vertical passing attack which is why i kinda find our signing him before one of the other guys kinda puzzling..

    with that said, i believe BB would indeed open up our offense and keep defenses honest.. however, we do need another receiver, and if we're not going to sign one of the better one's in FA.. then we need to draft one...

    the problem is.. due to us not being able to sign a DE.. we may use 2 picks or so on the D-line.. DT or DE or 2 DE's maybe even 3 picks 1DT 2DE's.. i'm not sure...

    the draft is deep with receivers, but due to the lack of depth we have at safety, LB and D-line.. why not sign a hackett or a johnson.. these guys are better than alot of the guys we have on the roster..altough young... and we can focus in the draft on D-line, O-line and safety.. maybe even TE...

    so that another reason why i find it soo puzzling that we haven't even gauged the market and atleast bring him in and see if he's healthy.. he's arguably the best FA left out there...

    and yes, injuries happen... alot of them are just freak things... same thing happened to D.Branch and many many other people out there... that doesn't mean they are not good players, unreliable or even non-durable..

  2. #22
    mjuaire's Avatar
    mjuaire is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    103

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    To be fair to the injury talk, Hackett has not been healthy a full year in 3 years.
    I'm not sure how old he is but he has missed multiple games in each of the last 3 years.
    I think that is more than a freak thing.
    I agree, an injury is not a reason to just pass on someone, but don't people think it's odd that NOBODY seems to want this guy.
    I'm not saying that none of us know what we are talking about but dare I say that the player personel people in the league know what's going on better than us?
    Berrian comes without that kind of risk and, in my opinion, a much safer pick-up with an upside as good or better than Hackett due to speed.
    would both be good?
    heak yes, but at the right price and we don't know what he's asking.

    As i said previously, we just need someone to make a few plays and threaten the other teams enough to not put 10 in the box every other play.
    Berrian was the Bears ONLY weapon on O, and that will not be the case here.
    He will be able to adjust to the WCO, and i believe this was the right move if you're gonig to pick between Berrian and Hackett.
    But i would certainly be all for getting another WR.
    I was hoping Gaffney until he resigned with NE but it would be nice to get a Bruiser like Bryant Johnson to match up with Bobby Wade (smaller quick) along with Rice and Berrian.
    I like Allison in the slot too as he gets more comfortable in the league.

    Probably gotta take another WR in the first 3 rounds, but it would be nice to not have to as previousyl mentioned.

  3. #23
    duvaldomo's Avatar
    duvaldomo is offline Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    903

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I actually thought Hackett would be a good fit in this scheme if we didn't land Berrian.

    Nice point aaeyers on cost vs Ferg.
    I would way rather have Berrian so I'm glad we got him....but why not both?

    as for the cost vs Ferg.....We still have not signed Ferg so there must be some negotiations still going on and if no one is even setting up a meeting with Hackett then wouldnt he sign for a cheap price? Im guessing that the closer to training camp we get the less he will be offered.

    I would rather have Hackett than Ferg.....not a big fan of Ex-Packers....Except Sharper
    ;D
    I agree thats why I liked aaeyers point.
    I hadn't though about getting Hackett instead of Ferg.

    As you pointed out, seems that because of a lack of interest by other teams, maybe he could be got at alot lower price than I originally thought.
    Hard to tell at this point.


    If he continues to see very little interest he might just be a pretty cheap addition.
    I'm not sure about aaeyers point!!.. ESPN did an analysis of hackett vs Berrian and Hackett's production was actually better than Berrian's in ALL aspects... I think hackett is actually the better receiver and would be better served in our system vs Berrian...

    I'm not sure why teams aren't looking at him, but imo.. he's better than 3 of the 4 recievers and would instantly upgrade our passing game to where we probably don't need to draft another receiver... I honestly don't think Berrian is the that option.. i hope i'm wrong...

    this is an insider link but hopefully it'll work..

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=3277748

    here's an excerpt from the article

    D.J. Hackett, WR: Hackett actually is still unsigned, so technically, he doesn't count as an underrated signing. But frankly, I am amazed some team hasn't snagged him. According to my estimations, Hackett is the second-best free-agent wide receiver on the market this offseason. I actually had him ranked in front of Berrian after doing a study of their YPA productivity over the past three years.

    If you don't believe Hackett is better than Berrian, take a look at their total YPAs during this time:

    Hackett vs. Berrian
    Receiver Route Depth Att Comp Yds TD Int Pen Pen Yds YPA
    Hackett Total 148 105 1,394 9 4 7 141 9.9
    Berrian Total 236 135 1,972 11 14 4 115 8.7

    Hackett played only six regular-season games in 2007, while Berrian started 15 games and played all 16. Despite this big difference in games played, Berrian still totaled only 552 more yards over the past three years.

    Hackett didn't top Berrian in only overall YPA. Check out their individual route depth totals:

    Receiver Route Depth Att Comp Yds TD Int Pen Pen Yds YPA
    Hackett Short 94 72 635 1 2 2 13 6.8
    Berrian Short 105 76 640 3 4 0 0 6.1

    Hackett Medium 31 23 444 4 1 0 0 14.3
    Berrian Medium 72 44 713 1 2 1 19 10.0

    Hackett Deep/Bomb 23 10 315 4 1 5 128 15.8
    Berrian Deep/Bomb 59 15 619 7 8 3 96 11.5

    Hackett topped Berrian in YPA at every depth level and was nearly as productive overall -- even with the 10 games missed this past year. Playing in Seattle's pass-happy system certainly helped Hackett, but a 9.9 overall YPA is quite impressive, no matter the circumstances. Hackett has the highest upside of any free agent left on the market, regardless of position.


    in addition here's what it had to say about Berrian

    Overrated

    Bernard Berrian, WR, Vikings: The No. 1 rule of car shopping is to not fall in love with a particular car before going to the lot. Whenever this rule is not followed, it is almost assured the buyer will overpay for the car.

    That seems to be exactly what happened with the Vikings' pursuit of Berrian. Minnesota badly needs a vertical threat, and Berrian looked to be the second-best long pass receiving free-agent option behind Randy Moss.

    There is no argument Berrian is fast, but his vertical productivity has been next to nothing since early in the 2006 season. In the games from Week 6 of the 2006 campaign to the end of the 2007 season (a span of 27 contests), he had only 16 completions of 20-plus yards. That's an average of just more than three big plays every two games. Only five of those plays were actual deep/bomb passes. The other 11 were short/medium passes that he turned into long gains, so his ability to punish a defense on long passes was simply nonexistent in this time span. Minnesota paid a king's ransom for Berrian's vertical receiving potential, not his proven performance.
    Dont know if anyone said this yet (too lazy to check) but Hackett acutally played on a better team. He also played on a pass first team. That means he had more success/ Time to play at seattle. Im all in for bringing Hackett in but seahawks were a good passing team while we are a running team. Who ever mentioned the 4 WR set I have no idea why we dont do it more. Last year when teams start packing the box I thought we were going to do that but I guess it was too late the change our scheme. Hopefully next year we do it more with Berrian/Rice/Wade/FA,Rookie,AA. That dont look too bad, should give Tjac more options and give AP more room to run. Its a win/win situation

  4. #24
    BloodyHorns82's Avatar
    BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    9,691

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    "grpape" wrote:
    "BloodyHorns82" wrote:
    2007
    Seattle Seahawks
    6


    6


    32


    384


    12.0



    59


    3

    In just 6 games he had 3 TDs The only Vikings Receiver with more than 3 TDs for all of last season was Sidney Rice with 4.

    In just 6 games he had more receptions than anybody on our team had throughout the entire season except Bobby Wade.

    In just 6 games he had 384 yards... Fergy had 391 on the season, and Rice had 396 on the entire season.


    Granted they played for different teams and different standards in QB, but interesting none the less.
    How many games did he end up playing all of the 07' season? I'm just asking because I really don't know. For some reason, however, I don't think he finished the season. Am I right? Heck those six game stats are great. But what happens after that? You need someone that you can pretty much count on to last the whole season.

    I understand what you are saying. Hear me out. We sign Hackett and he breaks out for six games. This in turn opens up defenses so AD can run crazy on them. After six games, however, he gets injured and is done for the season. What do you think defense are going to do now? Yup, they will stack the box again, because you no longer have that deep threat. If you have someone that catches the deep ball once in awhile, the defenses will always have to keep that in the back of their mind. We see them stacking the box, we send BB deep, and hopefully he makes the defense pay. Sooner than later, the defense will back out of loading the box. Other defense coordinatiors see this before they play us, and they will have to decide which poison to take. Sorry for the long post.
    My guess is he could be had for a very reasonable contract price given the fact that no teams have expressed interested and his injury history is undeniable.
    He opens up options and adds depth to the WR chart.
    I'm not saying he is some savior or anything, just that he can be productive and may further benefit our running game.

  5. #25
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    You left out one tiny little flaw.
    Berrian had the likes of Rex GROSSman, Kyle "neckbeard" Orton and Brian Griese.
    Its hard to get into a rhythm when you have 3 different BAD QB's throwing to you

    Hackett had Hasselbeck, who is much better than any of those other 3.
    As Well, Seattle is a good passing team, whereas Chicago has always been a run first offense.

  6. #26
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    You left out one tiny little flaw.
    Berrian had the likes of Rex GROSSman, Kyle "neckbeard" Orton and Brian Griese.

    Its hard to get into a rhythm when you have 3 different BAD QB's throwing to you

    Hackett had Hasselbeck, who is much better than any of those other 3.
    As Well, Seattle is a good passing team, whereas Chicago has always been a run first offense.
    Williamson had 3 worst qbs throwing to him...Why didn't he get the same respect.

  7. #27
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,533

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    You left out one tiny little flaw.
    Berrian had the likes of Rex GROSSman, Kyle "neckbeard" Orton and Brian Griese.
    Its hard to get into a rhythm when you have 3 different BAD QB's throwing to you

    Hackett had Hasselbeck, who is much better than any of those other 3.
    As Well, Seattle is a good passing team, whereas Chicago has always been a run first offense.
    Williamson had 3 worst qbs throwing to him...Why didn't he get the same respect.
    He had PLENTY of catchable balls thrown to him... we all witnessed it... he missed the easy ones too.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  8. #28
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    I've liked him for a long time. I have a feeling it won't happen though. He's got so nice hands

    Thanks to PPE for the sig.

  9. #29
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,916

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    "C" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    You left out one tiny little flaw.
    Berrian had the likes of Rex GROSSman, Kyle "neckbeard" Orton and Brian Griese.

    Its hard to get into a rhythm when you have 3 different BAD QB's throwing to you

    Hackett had Hasselbeck, who is much better than any of those other 3.
    As Well, Seattle is a good passing team, whereas Chicago has always been a run first offense.
    Williamson had 3 worst qbs throwing to him...Why didn't he get the same respect.
    He had PLENTY of catchable balls thrown to him... we all witnessed it... he missed the easy ones too.
    Why r we always bumping heads. We're going to get green dotted again.
    Leave this thread and never return.

  10. #30
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

    Because Berrian hasn't dropped a sure touchdown when he was 15 yards past the DB's.
    Berrian isn't known across the league for his drops.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bring in the " Closer QB "
    By NordicNed in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-27-2009, 06:19 AM
  2. D.J. Hackett signs with Panthers
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2008, 08:44 AM
  3. Hackett Out Indefinitely, Burleson to Start
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2007, 06:51 PM
  4. bring it boys
    By triedandtruevikesfan in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-23-2004, 06:04 PM
  5. Bring on the Giants!
    By vikingsalltheway in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 12:28 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •