Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    IBleedPurple11 is offline Pro-Bowler

Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

He was injured last year so he only played 6 games, but from what I remember watching...he is not that bad.

And, It looks like no one wants to even bring him in for a visit. I would love to add some depth to our young WR group.

Would you guys like Hackett on the Vikes if the price is right?

G

GS

Rec

Yds

Avg

Long

TD

Seattle Seahawks

Estimated 16 game stats if he played the whole season....

G

GS

Rec

Yds

Avg

Long
    TD

Seattle Seahawks

?

?

*SKOL!*

aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Why Not Bring In DJ Hackett??

He would only be the fourth string behind Berrian, Rice and Wade, but if he is cheaper than Ferguson, then why not. We aren't really looking for another starter at this point, and I think Ferguson did just fine in his role of our fourth receiver. I will say that I think Hackett is a better receiver than Ferguson, but I think Ferguson offers more in terms of veteran leadership and a good locker room influence, as well as being a good downfield blocker. I really hope they resign Ferguson to fill out that last roster spot.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I actually thought Hackett would be a good fit in this scheme if we didn't land Berrian.

Nice point aaeyers on cost vs Ferg.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"aaeyers" wrote:
    He would only be the fourth string behind Berrian, Rice and Wade, but if he is cheaper than Ferguson, then why not. We aren't really looking for another starter at this point, and I think Ferguson did just fine in his role of our fourth receiver. I will say that I think Hackett is a better receiver than Ferguson, but I think Ferguson offers more in terms of veteran leadership and a good locker room influence, as well as being a good downfield blocker. I really hope they resign Ferguson to fill out that last roster spot.
    True...I know Hackett is better than Ferg....but as you said...Ferg adds Veteran leadership.
    Im not a huge fan of Bobby Wade, but i guess if we are going to have him out there then slot is the best spot for him. I would also like to see Allison get more playing time at WR since we now have Hicks to return kicks.

Still, it wouldnt hurt to add Hackett if no one is going to want to take him.

*SKOL!*

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I actually thought Hackett would be a good fit in this scheme if we didn't land Berrian.

I would way rather have Berrian so I'm glad we got him....but why not both?

as for the cost vs Ferg.....We still have not signed Ferg so there must be some negotiations still going on and if no one is even setting up a meeting with Hackett then wouldnt he sign for a cheap price? Im guessing that the closer to training camp we get the less he will be offered.

I would rather have Hackett than Ferg.....not a big fan of Ex-Packers....Except Sharper
    ;D

*SKOL!*

"IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

as for the cost vs Ferg.....We still have not signed Ferg so there must be some negotiations still going on and if no one is even setting up a meeting with Hackett then wouldnt he sign for a cheap price? Im guessing that the closer to training camp we get the less he will be offered.

I would rather have Hackett than Ferg.....not a big fan of Ex-Packers....Except Sharper
    ;D
    I agree thats why I liked aaeyers point.
    I hadn't though about getting Hackett instead of Ferg.

As you pointed out, seems that because of a lack of interest by other teams, maybe he could be got at alot lower price than I originally thought.
    Hard to tell at this point.

If he continues to see very little interest he might just be a pretty cheap addition.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Is there a reason we don't go 4 wide when teams start loading the box?
    I mean wouldn't that prevent the 8 man fronts?
    :

"kevoncox" wrote:
    :
    Thats a very good theory that I believe would work.
    Not sure why we don't see more of it.

"kevoncox" wrote:
    :

As long as our WR's block, which they are pretty good at usually, then running out of a 4WR formation would be nice...A lot of big holes for Peterson to run through.

We can obviously switch it up and throw a deep pass to Berrian or Rice after a couple runs to shake up the defense.

Man, I cant wait for the season to start!...its soooooooo far way!
    :-\

*SKOL!*

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "IBleedPurple28" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    I agree thats why I liked aaeyers point.
    I hadn't though about getting Hackett instead of Ferg.

As you pointed out, seems that because of a lack of interest by other teams, maybe he could be got at alot lower price than I originally thought.
    Hard to tell at this point.

If he continues to see very little interest he might just be a pretty cheap addition.
    I'm not sure about aaeyers point!!.. ESPN did an analysis of hackett vs Berrian and Hackett's production was actually better than Berrian's in ALL aspects... I think hackett is actually the better receiver and would be better served in our system vs Berrian...

I'm not sure why teams aren't looking at him, but imo.. he's better than 3 of the 4 recievers and would instantly upgrade our passing game to where we probably don't need to draft another receiver... I honestly don't think Berrian is the that option.. i hope i'm wrong...

this is an insider link but hopefully it'll work..

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=3277748

here's an excerpt from the article

D.J. Hackett, WR: Hackett actually is still unsigned, so technically, he doesn't count as an underrated signing. But frankly, I am amazed some team hasn't snagged him. According to my estimations, Hackett is the second-best free-agent wide receiver on the market this offseason. I actually had him ranked in front of Berrian after doing a study of their YPA productivity over the past three years.

If you don't believe Hackett is better than Berrian, take a look at their total YPAs during this time:

Hackett vs. Berrian
    Receiver Route Depth Att Comp Yds TD Int Pen Pen Yds YPA
    Hackett Total 148 105 1,394 9 4 7 141 9.9
    Berrian Total 236 135 1,972 11 14 4 115 8.7

Hackett played only six regular-season games in 2007, while Berrian started 15 games and played all 16. Despite this big difference in games played, Berrian still totaled only 552 more yards over the past three years.

Hackett didn't top Berrian in only overall YPA. Check out their individual route depth totals:

Receiver Route Depth Att Comp Yds TD Int Pen Pen Yds YPA
    Hackett Short 94 72 635 1 2 2 13 6.8
    Berrian Short 105 76 640 3 4 0 0 6.1

Hackett Medium 31 23 444 4 1 0 0 14.3
    Berrian Medium 72 44 713 1 2 1 19 10.0

Hackett Deep/Bomb 23 10 315 4 1 5 128 15.8
    Berrian Deep/Bomb 59 15 619 7 8 3 96 11.5

Hackett topped Berrian in YPA at every depth level and was nearly as productive overall -- even with the 10 games missed this past year. Playing in Seattle's pass-happy system certainly helped Hackett, but a 9.9 overall YPA is quite impressive, no matter the circumstances. Hackett has the highest upside of any free agent left on the market, regardless of position.

in addition here's what it had to say about Berrian

Overrated

Bernard Berrian, WR, Vikings: The No. 1 rule of car shopping is to not fall in love with a particular car before going to the lot. Whenever this rule is not followed, it is almost assured the buyer will overpay for the car.

That seems to be exactly what happened with the Vikings' pursuit of Berrian. Minnesota badly needs a vertical threat, and Berrian looked to be the second-best long pass receiving free-agent option behind Randy Moss.

There is no argument Berrian is fast, but his vertical productivity has been next to nothing since early in the 2006 season. In the games from Week 6 of the 2006 campaign to the end of the 2007 season (a span of 27 contests), he had only 16 completions of 20-plus yards. That's an average of just more than three big plays every two games. Only five of those plays were actual deep/bomb passes. The other 11 were short/medium passes that he turned into long gains, so his ability to punish a defense on long passes was simply nonexistent in this time span. Minnesota paid a king's ransom for Berrian's vertical receiving potential, not his proven performance.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast