Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the love?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Why the love?

"gtinker63" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=Garland Greene link=topic=41893.msg715044#msg715044 date=1201661358]
    Ok we have the multiple player X is a FA/will be released so lets pick him up threads. Some have some some legit reasons to be looked at. But what i don't get is the love for players who can't stay healthy. Why are we even debating this issue? who many times to we have to be burned by these guys before people just start saying "no thanks". Tank Williams, Marcus
    Robinson, Mike Doss to name a few recent bigger name FA that we have picked up with injury histories and now we are having a discussions over guys like Javon Walker, Brian Kelly, Chad Pennington Javon Kearse. Are we that desperate for help at some positions that we should look at anyone even if they cannot stay healthy? How does that in any way help our team? Everyone gets a freak injury and then is fine but guys that start getting injury after injury, tends to stay a pattern. So the logic of "he would be a great fit If he is healthy" should not even be a consideration. Tank, Robinson and Doss also fit into that category at one time and look where it got us.
    Hey man,
    How long has Doss and Tank been on the team? 1-2 years. Have they even been given much playing time?
    Why not give them enoug time. I remember the game Sharper was knocked out of Doss came in and played well. You can't blame a guy from not producing without playing time. What didn't you like about them this year? Were they too slow handing out water bottles?

Why don't you mention the healthy guys wer signed that did crap? Holcomb, Bollinger..shall i go on.
    Hey man you know the coach can't play them when they are hurt don't you.
    Google thier names and check out the injury reports before you start laying this at the coaches feet for cripes sake.

:

With that said, please don't go on.
    Tank played this year and played well the times he wa son the field. I'm not blaming the coaches( quick to defend aren't you) I'm just saying we should evauate them when they are healthy. To avoid a guy with an injury concern because of your history with injured players is idoitic. In fact AD wouldn't be a Viking his your logic!
    Its pretty much apples to oranges. Players get hurt its part of the game soem get some minor injuries here and there some more major.
    You are compairing a college guy who is done with college compaired to a guy that has been in the league for several years and is getting released because he cannot stay helathy and are a injury risk. We are also talking about guys with significant injuries.
    So we should throw abunch a money at a player coming off a significant injuries and hope he stays healthy. Whats funny is that I remember the same arguments for Marcus Robinson a couple of years ago. How did that work out?
    First off, it isn't compairing apples and oranges.
    Both guys have been injured as of late.
    AD got hurt again this season.
    Should we throw him out because he is injury prone?
    Hell no.
    Some of these other guys have had some injuries that are very comparable to Petersons injuries.

Second, Robert Smith... Injured his first 5 years basically in the league.
    How did he end up?

Third, Robinson actually was a very servicable WR for the Vikings.
    Did he get hurt, not that much.
    He missed a few just like Peterson, Jackson, among others.
    Robinson was arguably are most consistant WR post Moss.

Forth, how about Matt Birk?
    Would you consider him injury prone and would not be very good for other teams to go after if he was a Free Agent?
    No, he is one of the top centers in the game still to this day.
    However, he missed two straight years due to a groin.
    However, since he is with the Vikes you just pass his injuries off as something that happened.

Every team deals with injuries and players that can just flat out play ball should get more chances to stay healthy.[/quote]

Very solid post with excellent points.
    My whole issue is we shouldn't go out and pick guys up that seem to be on the injury list all the time.

It is probably a good indicator why teams let them go in the first place.

Kindof like buying the used car. Very few are given up just because the owner wants an upgrade.
    Most are gotten rid of for a reason.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "gtinker63" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=41893.msg715063#msg715063 date=1201663155]
    [quote author=Garland Greene link=topic=41893.msg715044#msg715044 date=1201661358]
    Ok we have the multiple player X is a FA/will be released so lets pick him up threads. Some have some some legit reasons to be looked at. But what i don't get is the love for players who can't stay healthy. Why are we even debating this issue? who many times to we have to be burned by these guys before people just start saying "no thanks". Tank Williams, Marcus
    Robinson, Mike Doss to name a few recent bigger name FA that we have picked up with injury histories and now we are having a discussions over guys like Javon Walker, Brian Kelly, Chad Pennington Javon Kearse. Are we that desperate for help at some positions that we should look at anyone even if they cannot stay healthy? How does that in any way help our team? Everyone gets a freak injury and then is fine but guys that start getting injury after injury, tends to stay a pattern. So the logic of "he would be a great fit If he is healthy" should not even be a consideration. Tank, Robinson and Doss also fit into that category at one time and look where it got us.
    Hey man,
    How long has Doss and Tank been on the team? 1-2 years. Have they even been given much playing time?
    Why not give them enoug time. I remember the game Sharper was knocked out of Doss came in and played well. You can't blame a guy from not producing without playing time. What didn't you like about them this year? Were they too slow handing out water bottles?

Why don't you mention the healthy guys wer signed that did crap? Holcomb, Bollinger..shall i go on.
    Google thier names and check out the injury reports before you start laying this at the coaches feet for cripes sake.

:

Tank played this year and played well the times he wa son the field. I'm not blaming the coaches( quick to defend aren't you) I'm just saying we should evauate them when they are healthy. To avoid a guy with an injury concern because of your history with injured players is idoitic. In fact AD wouldn't be a Viking his your logic!
    Its pretty much apples to oranges. Players get hurt its part of the game soem get some minor injuries here and there some more major.
    You are compairing a college guy who is done with college compaired to a guy that has been in the league for several years and is getting released because he cannot stay helathy and are a injury risk. We are also talking about guys with significant injuries.
    So we should throw abunch a money at a player coming off a significant injuries and hope he stays healthy. Whats funny is that I remember the same arguments for Marcus Robinson a couple of years ago. How did that work out?
    Hell no.
    Some of these other guys have had some injuries that are very comparable to Petersons injuries.

How did he end up?

Would you consider him injury prone and would not be very good for other teams to go after if he was a Free Agent?
    However, since he is with the Vikes you just pass his injuries off as something that happened.

Every team deals with injuries and players that can just flat out play ball should get more chances to stay healthy.[/quote]

My whole issue is we shouldn't go out and pick guys up that seem to be on the injury list all the time.

Kindof like buying the used car. Very few are given up just because the owner wants an upgrade.
    [/quote]

That's why we have a medial staff. They can evaluate the players physically abilites. Hence, why a player must pass a physical to be given a contract. The bottom line is Mike Doss and Tank Williams made our team better. They were 2nd on the depth charts and were brought in as options to Smith and Sharper( not to take a starting spot but to possible challenge for one).

You only mentioned what they did on the field. What about Doss' experience with the Tampa 2. Do you think none of that was usefull to our baby Cbs and Veteren Safties? My point is that to avoid Brian Kelly( which was the topic I made and the OP responded to) due to injuries is retarded. His experiences as THE tampa 2 CB( along with Ronde) is valuable.

The Pats could have gone out and signed 1800 Lbs in better physicall conditions than Seau, they brought him in because of experiences and intelligence. Something our team might look into since your crutch for us playing poorly is "how young we are"
    Food for thought!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gtinker63" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=41893.msg715173#msg715173 date=1201697892]
    Hey man,

:

Hell no.

How did he end up?

[/quote]

That's why we have a medial staff. They can evaluate the players physically abilites. Hence, why a player must pass a physical to be given a contract. The bottom line is Mike Doss and Tank Williams made our team better. They were 2nd on the depth charts and were brought in as options to Smith and Sharper( not to take a starting spot but to possible challenge for one).

You only mentioned what they did on the field. What about Doss' experience with the Tampa 2. Do you think none of that was usefull to our baby Cbs and Veteren Safties? My point is that to avoid Brian Kelly( which was the topic I made and the OP responded to) due to injuries is Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd. His experiences as THE tampa 2 CB( along with Ronde) is valuable.

The Pats could have gone out and signed 1800 Lbs in better physicall conditions than Seau, they brought him in because of experiences and intelligence. Something our team might look into since your crutch for us playing poorly is "how young we are"
    Food for thought!
    [/quote]
    WHAT.......
    Were in the hell do you come up with this stuff?

(Marrdro deletes a whole paragraph cause of the dreaded green dot.)

I only mentioned what they did on the field is because that is what really fricken counts.

Bottom line, Coaches coach, players play.
    Oh wait, I forgot, you are the guy who thinks we need to bring in Vets to teach the youngsters to play and not the coaches.
    What oh wise one do you think the coaches are even on the fricken staff for.
    gol 'darnit.

Gimme a break.
    If you want to come after me with neat little quips like "Defining my crutch" or
    "Food for thought" you'd better come with something better than this my friend.

I'm starving.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

OchoCinco is offline Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gtinker63" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=41893.msg715267#msg715267 date=1201711849]
    Hey man,

:

Hell no.

How did he end up?

[/quote]

You only mentioned what they did on the field. What about Doss' experience with the Tampa 2. Do you think none of that was usefull to our baby Cbs and Veteren Safties? My point is that to avoid Brian Kelly( which was the topic I made and the OP responded to) due to injuries is Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd. His experiences as THE tampa 2 CB( along with Ronde) is valuable.

Food for thought!
    [/quote]
    WHAT.......

I only mentioned what they did on the field is because that is what really fricken counts.

Oh wait, I forgot, you are the guy who thinks we need to bring in Vets to teach the youngsters to play and not the coaches.
    gol 'darnit.

Gimme a break.
    If you want to come after me with neat little quips like "Defining my crutch" or

I'm starving.

[/quote]

kevoncox......you my friend have just cut this guy off on the freeway......you might want to stop.....think about what you have done.....say to yourself was it worth it............then wave......smile politely........and never drive down this road again.............

MARRDRO

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"OchoCinco" wrote:
    ...kevoncox......you my friend have just cut this guy off on the freeway......you might want to stop.....think about what you have done.....say to yourself was it worth it............then wave......smile politely........and never drive down this road again.............

MARRDRO
    lmao, that's him!
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Prophet" wrote:
    "OchoCinco" wrote:
    ...kevoncox......you my friend have just cut this guy off on the freeway......you might want to stop.....think about what you have done.....say to yourself was it worth it............then wave......smile politely........and never drive down this road again.............

MARRDRO
    lmao, that's him!
    Can't see it.
    I'm sure it is "REAL" flattering.
    ;D

"OchoCinco" wrote:

kevoncox......you my friend have just cut this guy off on the freeway......you might want to stop.....think about what you have done.....say to yourself was it worth it............then wave......smile politely........and never drive down this road again.............

MARRDRO
    Thanks for the support my friend.

He just doesn't understand me very well.
    Probably my bent shitcan approach to posting.

What the hell is the red X.
    I am sure it is funny.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "gtinker63" wrote:
    "Garland" wrote:
    [quote author=kevoncox link=topic=41893.msg715267#msg715267 date=1201711849]
    Hey man,

:

Hell no.

How did he end up?

[/quote]

Food for thought!
    [/quote]
    WHAT.......

gol 'darnit.

Gimme a break.

I'm starving.

[/quote]

Just use the ignorant button. Why argue?
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    The reason I come to these forums is to discuss football meaninglessly. If someone wants to rant about Tom Brady on the Vikings I'll read (for laughs), as long as it's coherent. Nothing we say matters, it's the internet. Most of us look stupid for analyzing the Vikings every move, and trying to predict the next. But whatever floats your boat right?
    This post should be put up as a sticky so we can quickly recall it and give it to the yutz's who take this (and themselves) way to serious sometimes.

(Especially that Marrdro guy
    ;D)

That same Marrdro guy that has a "Marrdro Rating" for most of the active if not all the active members on here?
    :P

BTW, what's my "Marrdro Rating"?

Top of the list my friend.
    Top of the list.

What does that mean anyway?
    Most active?
    Were did you see that stat at?
    I am anxiously awaiting my Marrdro rating......just hoping that it will be good when I get it

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

It is important to remember that not every players is going to be a good fit for the Vikes.
    Some people look at past stats, or the schemes they came from, and think they can contribute to the Vikes.
    Problem is, if we get to many of them, we have no young players to develop.
    I am sure the coaching staff looks at players and evaluates them on both the performance they can bring to the team, and the leadership they can bring to the team.

That being said, I too am tired of hearing about injured players we can get for cheap.
    Some may be good pickups, others will not be.

On the other end of the spectrum, we have people wishing we could get every stud out there.
    Some of these players will be franchised, and others will be re-signed.
    I laught at what our roster would look like at times if PPO members had the deciding vote.

I can just see it now.
    In the board room, on draft day, Chilly looks at Spielman and says....Who does PPO nation think we should draft now?

Speculatiing on here is fun, and I enjoy reading the responses more so than the original posts most times.
    Variety is what makes this place so special.

Now, remember, if you are going to mention a player tha Viking should pick up, always post his Madden rating so we can make an informed decision.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast