Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Why Isn't Greenway Practicing?

bsmithberkley wrote:
    So, Edwards and Allen have about the same rate for generating pressures, but,it's Allens primary responsibility and Edwards secondary responsibility.
    The whole primary, secondary, tertiary responsibility thing is lost on them. For some reason that concept can't be grasped.

On a side note, all those numbers made my head hurt, and I'm a stat guy. :P
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Overlord wrote:
    bsmithberkley wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro posted a link somewhere, pointing out that something like 25% of Edwards sacks come when he was unblocked.
    24.24% and Allen's was 12.5%

Including the Playoffs:

Pressure rate Edwards 14.39%
    Pressure rate Allen 12.04%

Edwards Unpressured = 24.24%
    Allens Unpressured = 12.5%

24.24-12.5 = 11.74%

Allen (adjust for pressure) = 12.04*1.1174 = 13.45%
    Edwards (non adjusted) = 14.39%

Normalizing the likely double teams from 33.33% (Double split between Allen/Pat/KWILL) of the time to 25% (Double split between 4 linemen)would give Allen another bonus of 8.33%

Allen (adjust for pressure and double teams) = 13.45%*1.0833 = 14.57%

Edwards (non adjusted) = 14.39%

So, Edwards and Allen have about the same rate for generating pressures, but,it's Allens primary responsibility and Edwards secondary responsibility.

Can't help but smack that horse just one more time! :P
    I don't think these numbers really show what you want them to show.

1. adjusting for unblocked plays

It appears to me that you are multiplying Allen's pressure rate by the difference in unblocked plays, essentially giving Allen 'extra plays' at the same pressure rate. Since it stands to reason that a player is much more likely to record a pressure when they are unblocked, this does not seem accurate to me.

I think the better method, though not perfect, is to take away unblocked pressures from both players.

2. adjusting for double teams

Your normalization for double teams should be taken into account for Edwards as well. What you have actually done is tried to compare Allen with a 28% double team rate and Edwards with a 0% double team rate.

So, if you claim to base the numbers on the assumption that Edwards received a double team 0% of the time and Allen 33% of the time, then your final comparison should probably be based on extrapolating one of: Allen with 0 double teams; Edwards with 33% double teams; or both with 25% double teams.

The first two are the easiest, since you can simply multiply Allen's rate by 1.5 or Edwards' rate by 0.67.

Of course, you were trying to do a worst case scenario for Edwards, so the 0% and 33% numbers are not going to be the actual numbers anyway. And this is also based on a pressure rate of 0% when a player is double teamed, which is probably a fair approximation but not entirely accurate.

3. Doing it this way

Just so I'm not making someone else do it, here's what I get with this method:

Edwards: 14.39% pressure rate * 75.76% blocked plays ~ 10.90% pressure rate

Allen: 12.04% pressure rate * 87.5% blocked plays ~ 10.535% pressure rate

removing 33% double team rate from Allen: 10.535% pressure rate * 1.5 ~ 15.8% pressure rate

So, this method is Allen 15.8%, Edward 10.9%.

But again, we don't actually know the double team rate, we don't know if the unblocked pressures are consistent with sacks, we don't know a lot of stuff.
    Thanks O, my head doesn't hurt as much.

I think the difference between 15.8 and 10.9, regardles of the double team rate, is pretty accurate with respect to what one would see when you compare a RDE to a LDE, especially when you take into account first react/read move.

One guys first step is almost always to the QB, the other guys is a bit slower because he reads run/contain before he goes after the QB.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat wrote:
    More adjustments to statistics will not help your claim except for maybe in your own mind. Well, maybe Marrdro's as well :P
    Comeon, admit it. You know you want to. B)

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    More adjustments to statistics will not help your claim except for maybe in your own mind. Well, maybe Marrdro's as well :P
    LOL. You caught me!

ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    LOL. You caught me!
    You still didn't admit it.

Did you see the article I posted today were the author said how well El Syd AND Ray played last year? I thought of you instantly. :silly:

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    LOL. You caught me!

Did you see the article I posted today were the author said how well El Syd AND Ray played last year? I thought of you instantly. :silly:
    who was saying that Sid and Ray didn't play well?

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    LOL. You caught me!

According to a few on here, Ray only gets his because they come over and fall at his feet to get away from JA, K-dubb and Phat Pat.

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    LOL. You caught me!

According to a few on here, Ray only gets his because they come over and fall at his feet to get away from JA, K-dubb and Phat Pat.

Nobody is saying he didn't play well. Its obvious he did. We're saying he's not as good or better than JA, which a few certain individuals are trying to argue.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    LOL. You caught me!

Nobody is saying he didn't play well. Its obvious he did. We're saying he's not as good or better than JA, which a few certain individuals are trying to argue.
    Nobody is arguing that either. A few are using JA stats as a measurable with respect to how to gauge a LDE's production and how good it was considering the stats came from a LDE.

Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    ejmat wrote:
    LOL. You caught me!

Nobody is arguing that either. A few are using JA stats as a measurable with respect to how to gauge a LDE's production and how good it was considering the stats came from a LDE.
    BS was

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast